Black screen when loading

VWWWWWWWWWWW

Question

Sometimes I get black screen when the game starts to load, and then it freezes my computer. Most of the time I can't even go to task manager to close the game and have to restart computer. Never had this issue until the past couple of weeks. I got Win 7. Any other ppl had this problem?

14 answers to this question

Hello,

If you are experiencing slow or choppy gameplay whilst playing on CnCNet, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem.

1. Install the CnCNet client 
  2. This will look for your existing game directory.
  3. Once installed run CnCNetYRLauncher.exe or the shortcut supplied.
  4. Click "Options"
  5. Select "Display" and under the render options, select a new renderer. Commonly, TS-DDRAW works best.
  6. Click Save, and launch Skirmish. 
  7. Play a game with the AI. If the gameplay is fast then this renderer will likely be the best for you.
  8. If it hasn't worked, repeat from step 5 until you find a renderer that works best with your system.

Failing the above, ensure your video drivers are up-to-date. You are running a suitable resolution the game can handle.

render.png

I saw you post this in any topic that says "freezing" but the render is not the issue. When I had a render issue it would freeze in game when I went to menu tab, but I switched to default render and that's fine now. This is a black screen right when the game tries to load and then it freezes. No1 has had this specific problem?

3 hours ago, VWWWWWWWWWWW said:

Did some update cause this or?

TS-DDRAW the default renderer was updated recently, which however wouldn't explain why you're encountering the same issue with other renderers.

Do you use a different resolution for the desktop than you do in the game?

I've had the same problem with most renderers. Even if when I switch it starts to work for a while, it eventually happens again. It either gets a black screen and freezes when going to load the game, or right after the game finishes. 

I use a smaller reso for the game than I do for desktop, but I've always done. I just tried changing game reso to match my desktop and I still encountered the same issue. If switching renderers sometimes provides a temporary fix, then I guess that's somehow related to the problem? But I don't get why it wasn't an issue for 2 years or so and now it's a huge headache. 

16 hours ago, VWWWWWWWWWWW said:

But I don't get why it wasn't an issue for 2 years or so and now it's a huge headache. 

WHY?

• Windows Update
  • New Hardware Drivers
  • Deprecated Features
  • Software doesn't age like fine wine.

Try setting windows XP/98 Compatibility on the spawner.

Do you get this issue on XWIS RA2?

Edited by FReQuEnZy

Looked at that and it was set on Windows XP even tho I have windows 7. So I changed it to windows 7 and it worked for part of the day and now it's happening again regardless of the renderer. Some renderers get a black screen right when loading, some freeze when I go to menu screen, others get it after I quit the game. 

Did both of those and still the same problem. And just tried xwis/ra2 and it still works fine. Pretty sure something was changed to cncnet that's causing this since I don't have issues with anything else on this computer. Starting to get tired of trying to fix this shit tho. Might have to take a break from this game

• Confused 1