Command & Conquer Remasters have been announced!

Tore

• Grant featured this topic

What will happen to the talented cnc.net crew when the remaster comes out? Does nyerguds know he will be fired soon? Will it keep running or will the whole thing be shutdown? How do you guys feel about that after your much appreciated hard clever work?

Edited by chem

1. My biggest wish and issue is the minelayers in RA1, followed by the radar devices by Allies:

Please DO NOT remove content, instead, put them in in a PLAYABLE manner!/reimplement them in a useful way, and dont cut those things away! Also keep the character of the allied Faction about intelligence over firepower: which shall be easier to play competetively.

Why minelayers important? Because they break the endless tank gameplay if they just would be managable in comfortable manner (group commands, patterns to mine, automatic behavior to the service depot, mechanisms to easily use them in great numbers!

Also intersected patterns, so not one large field, but with spaces etc, customizable patterns if best.

2. In general: Make it EASIER TO CONTROL the game, with the large amounts of tanks you get so you have EVERYTHING you can think of to quickly control everything. Dont leave the RA1 style here.

3. Dont remove features, or habbits of RA1, ONLY solve bugs, issues with controls, technology shall NOT 'easify' the difficulty of the game into teletubie-C&C:

Make it demanding!
Do not remove existing, but ADD the most obvious and by community voice most wanted features

The DETAILS of C&C will break it! Every click is a minesweeper for you! Detect the mines, or it will blow you!

4. We are happy, but careful.
You can fail a lot! Hopefully you can handle the burning candle!

5. Please act in favour of the community! Dont only tell about!

---

I like tiberian dawn the most! /The others say RA2: I go with that. just dont stop to develope C&C further for the next 15 years as you did before! (dont count 2007 and upwards: we need SOLID games: gimmicks are shards on the way!)

please dont make it just 'short and finish, but invest into useful obvious additions!

My biggest wish: PLEASE KEEP THE DESIGN OF THE GDI WAR FACTORY! 1:1!
Keep the design really 1:1!

Make additions optional for players, not force them to use new content that can annoy, but offer useful additions.

The list is endless! Hurry up!

PS: I have another sweet for you: I MUST say this:

Any Intend to get an online-binding to those games will break them! Have the trust of a Witcher 1 to publish without toxic launchers.
The only account is an email+password for the online lobby! Better only a nickname like C&Cnetlobby can do it too!

Edited by Kampfkekskrieger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chem said:

What will happen to the talented cnc.net crew when the remaster comes out? Does nyerguds know he will be fired soon? Will it keep running or will the whole thing be shutdown? How do you guys feel about that after your much appreciated hard clever work?

Chem, it's important that our efforts as a community here at CnCNet are there supporting Jim, EA and everyone behind the C&C Remaster journey as much as possible. The C&C community is really starting to rally behind the Remaster, let's focus on giving as much input as possible, especially since the CnCNet community holds priceless information with the Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert games.

We're a big part of the C&C community as it stands, thus we're going to be here to supporting the Remaster efforts and C&C franchise for the foreseeable future. 

On 11/15/2018 at 12:10 AM, sgtmyers88 said:

Glad to hear that fan projects will be unaffected by EA.

modteamssafenewcnc.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Chem, it's important that our efforts as a community here at CnCNet are there supporting Jim, EA and everyone behind the C&C Remaster journey as much as possible. The C&C community is really starting to rally behind the Remaster, let's focus on giving as much input as possible, especially since the CnCNet community holds priceless information with the Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert games.

We're a big part of the C&C community as it stands, thus we're going to be here to supporting the Remaster efforts and C&C franchise for the foreseeable future. 

Excellent thanks Grant, what a selfless and brilliant attitude, always just looking out for the best for our beloved game. I will certainly put my efforts into the same positive outcome based way of thinking and doing. :) 

Edited by chem

I find it most important to keep the C&Cnet-lobby and my favourite recommendation would be to integrate the LOBBY of the new game INTO the existing C&Cnet-Browser, IMPORTANT! (Maybe not only, but ALSO (-> not monopolism, but compatibility is mandatory), maybe synchronized into 2 programs, if the Remastered games have own interfaces etc)

Advisable would be to also add the RA2 and other C&Cgames into that (old style) C&Cnet-lobby, at least, include the games additionally, so we have them together!

You can have the in-game-lobbies, AND the CnCnetlobby, but its very advisable, to add the other games, AND especially the Remastered games, and you CAN do it in a way, that you keep your licence control up.
I dont ask for a free gift, but for a united community!

Keep the community together is the MOST important point, and not to spoil their work!

Only with enough players, we will have long-term and comfortable online-life. If its split, everybody looses.

• Confused 1

Theres some serious heresy going on from some of the ra2 players. I have played CnC since the early days, and i was heavily invested in ra2 myself and is my favorite game of alltime maybe, but any real and oldschool CnC fan will recognize ra1 as an equal to ra2. Many old ra2 veterans play either ra1 or TibSun only, to this day. I think EA recognizes how huge these games are,, they cant risk messing this up.

If it was up to me, i would have them remaster CnC TD and Ra1 with the ra2/Yuris revenge engine but just a bit more clean and updated, so it has that Classic CnC feel to it. And the fact they have Joe and Frank in on this, i cant help but be excited. Im casually optimistic.

Upgrade of the graphics engine would be good, but I would like to keep the possibility to utilize large screen resolutions. Setting the game resolution in RA2/YR to 2560x1440 lets me see the battlefield as a commander should see it, from high above. I don't need to zoom in on single units (as has been possible in newer games), and the camera angle should be fixed (as in the classics). That lets me focus on the battle rather than the camera controls. I have been hooked on all these games from Dune 2  to RA2/YR but I have never missed the opportunity to zoom in, only the opportunity to zoom out.

Edited by Boom

8 hours ago, X3M said:

I decided to wait.
And see what they have for us.
When it is finished.

I think it is great that they are undertaking such a risk.

I hoped for this, too, but the americans cannot do good games, without lead (EA-context, publishers with scars). They dont know any direction!

If this was a new title, without responsibility, okay, but this is a step, where you can destroy the whole genre, if you make it without the missing love.
There is a lot you can punish later: Thats when the remastered version is too good to ignore, and too bad, to play it, so you get thrown back to the old C&C, but you cannot play it without members, because their minds are split.
I just give the example with the Wargame Series, I come from: You had the first game, European escalation, was a wonderful online community! Really great!
If you had kept it for the next 5 years, you would have had a paradise community!
But the developers kept go on, finished Airland battle withing only 1 and a bit year afterwards the release of European escalation, with mixed improvements:
You could not stay in W:EE, because of quality improvements and features, it was greedy, and the stream soaked the people to the next game, to keep together.
So you had to move somehow.
Airland was a bit better in some things, and with planes, but poorer in game design, which made a lot of great tactics impossible, so that you had a flatter experience, you couldnt use atgm and tanks so well, so the balance crashed, and while it worked, and was worked on, it destroyed the former experience of Wargame:EE.

They did it again with W:Red Dragon, and destroyed a lot of stable community and loved game design, and created enough new game design, that you could like, but it was different, (solid), but not as good as the first game, still, so you (me) play it with tears, while having to admit, that red dragon is a stable game now, and at least you have enough people around, even 4-5 years later and (despite) with off-developement (no more working on, maybe on later title one time).

This is what happens if you let the developers just do it for you, and you dont take your own eye on it. You must help and help them to keep the guide line somehow, otherwise they cannot hold the game, and the quality sinks, and the people leave. I dont expect that the devs alone can work out all the things we want, to be honest, alone.

• Upvote 1

They have asked the original team on it. I once suggested that too (not assuming they saw my suggestion though). But that is a good thing imho. It isn't just EA-games.

No need to be negative, I'd say. Lets see what they can do. And the best way is to consider all our points (from all communities) one by one.

• Haha 1

we will NOT forget what happened to westwood once.

A remastered version overshadows, that there are shards. The warning must keep a part of allowed official words.

Away from that, I wish the best to unfold here, that is possible to happen, with the best regards to any of those developers we can have.
This is in this state not meant to be negative, and is not favoured to happen by me.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, X3M said:

They have asked the original team on it. I once suggested that too (not assuming they saw my suggestion though). But that is a good thing imho. It isn't just EA-games.

original team has made cuple of game past year and all the games original team made has flopped BIG time.

6 hours ago, X3M said:

Problem:
I loved universe at war, mechanically, but It was technically impossible to setup properly, so the technology with internet lobby almost impossible to keep, is a very easy reason why things cannot love.

The Topic you linked to, makes me thinking, the Developer didnt do bad game desgin, BUT, extremely derailed on technology - Accessibility of those games for longer terms, and online play, which is also a general, the BIGGEST Issue why RTS dont work:

The developers are too silly, to think out, that people like to play it OVER MANY YEARS, but ALONE the shut down servers /game not work on 2 years later OS, and due to small marketing/player base, theese things accumulate into desaster, for very easy to reveal reason: If Paraworld would have easy-to-acess online-lobby NOW, I would play it.

The problem is: You have isolated lobbys DEEP into the game, without you can just check the lobbies from outside of the game, over a big platform, that supports like all Popular RTS, that ever were published, not the obsolete gamespy-technology, but a superior Social-technology, that can keep those games TOGETHER, without rivalness of developers.

Reason: You tend to browse through RTS games, you like to play. If you could browse through the online-Status at-any-moment by a list comparable like the steam-library, with listing EACH open game, online players, AND ALSO VERY IMPORTANT INCLUDE RANKED SEACH/Quick search -currently searching numbers PUBLIC, and visible from a standard firefox -> So you are not isolated to 200x years technology, in order to play those game later.

All the Old RTS games have ONE single issue: No up-to-date servers, and no company taking care of this, in a centralized way!

Some games, that would be popular, or much more common to play, if they just were more available and accessible in multiplayer, today, with a short analysis of the status and the existing shards)
If I could just jump in and play A list of Strategy games:

1. Lords of the Realm 2: The Legend that overshadows everything since and for 23 years, counting... (no offense: its my favourite)

2. Sparta, Ancient Wars, Paraworld, Universe At war, Do you know Thandor, the Invasion? From old ComputerBildSpiele? Yes it had A multiplayer and I want to play it now!; Uprising2 from199x had a multiplayer great concept I never saw it again!, Die Völker from Jowood -> Multiplayer with round-world-concept repeating when scrolling to one side, so you had open front to every direction.

3. Startopia! really great concept for a Head-on-head 1v1 ranked-scene, it was a mix of Space-sym tycoon and RTS, and HAS still today (I still play it theese days!) unseen hero-position in innovation, with build-stack, plant-growing deck with many features, that games lost today. creativity pure!)

4. Eugen Systems (I start with the wargame series, Act of aggression, Act of War, to have it together. those games, too have this problem)
5. Command&conquer-Series (C&CTW needs a multiplayer version of the world conquest mode, maybe it was only in Kanes wrath, and no desyncs, that killed it for me, all former games, are more or less accessible today, again, but the publisher didnt react, and the Community acted too late, so a lot of player base is sleeping)

6. Empires Series (AOE1,2,(3), Empire Earth 1<-has currently working lobby, same for ,2,3, Age of Mythology,End of Nations, Empires, the New Modern Age, I put them all in here, its a cartegory from numberless succesful Developers, that suffered SOLELY by long term-support of technical way, so we have this problem again, and it cursed all, who were not big enough to survive, and the Big ones, C&C and Age of Empires, got repaired, but still dont get the care they deserve, and if they get, much too late).

7. Anno, Civilisation, Galactic civilisation: Long time Strategy games, still great multiplayer. If it would technical work, and comfortable amount of players -> here we have the same reason again. Civilisation 4 had urgenty to solve connection problems! Still, Civ4-6 are currently very strong Steam-Chart-Riders, together with AoE.

-> Again this ONE BIG above mentioned problem to keep people + technology together!

8. Settlers 3, (remaster it with good care please, a million people ask for, it has the a-lobby and you can play currently multiplayer), I forgot some other very good games, oh yes Earth2150,60; stronghold is to rescue, but its much too late to save the gem. If done right it was great multiplayer, but too many unpolished details about it, so its a heart and a pain to play, mostly for technical missing care to polish to the end, instead opening the pain wider with new games=new rains of shards

9. Castle Strike: Great Alternative to stronghold, the multiplayer part is better than the single player, but game is too unknown to ever get a community for it, I assume, sadly.

10. there are so many games, that deserve a place in the list, so take your favourite inside here.

So Fazit:

it is our task to bring theese games into service, easily accessible for non-involved people, because other than geeks, nobody can setup those games, install them over hours, add community lobby, hamatchi-usage, and all it needs for comfortable play, without being busy for weeks.

You want to play NOW, just download, see open games, and play.

So this is the summed up desaster of a too blind entertainment industry, with FEW, really few easy work, once the code is accessible, would all theese games run and generate money with, if producers still had a Quantum of Solace for the people. The facts proof, that this isnt the case.

Lets not mention desasters like closing completely the good gameplay of battleforge, and intentional-accidents I cant get how cruel life can be.

Fazit to your discussion: The quality of the games is good in general, or good enough to play. But the technical miss-of-connection doesnt reach the people. For (for an observer it sounds) like trivial reasons.

• Like 1

The big question is.

Are they going with a new engine or using the old ones?

I think it will be new.

Next, are they sticking with the old sprits on TD/RA! and isometric tiles on TS/RA2? Or are they going with a 3d like this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGtrJaiUZaA

Since they are remastering it I think they will stick with the old setup. But amp up the graphics. 

Does anyone know?

Since I can help them with the terrain in TS/RA2. I have a lot more ideas that I never put in the TX because of the limitation of the old engine. Stuff like aqueducts, tall flowing grass and wheat for hiding unit from the other player, train bridges and attaching different bridgehead and more ...... 

Edited by DJBREIT

6 hours ago, X3M said:

Cash carying over from mission to mission should be removed.

Silo usage should be forced more.

Good Idea!

[Option to turn that off if for lower difficulties]

1. I WANT to harvest Cash, and get it for the next mission! So maybe both modes, one for hardcore, to get the cash harvested, but very low official cash, so you have to calculate! Must be hard, not easy with it though.

a) Also: I LOVE GAMES, where your army gets handed from mission to mission, so you have to take CARE of them, not to get too many losses, however that is archieved, and instead, give the player less opportunity to get over-excessive numbers, should he have harvest everything, using endless-counters should be off, but limited, so that I have to care, and dont get too much advantage from it, but many disadvantage from losses.

b) If I fight in other countries, I cannot take over vehicles everytime, but My START troops and situation shall be adapted to some part, whether I did a good work in previous missions/100% score. ALL I WANTED!

2. I also want Silos! IN THE MID OF THE GAMEPLAY

• Like 1

Hihi,

The Starting funds mechanic:

well 1. you determine a certain minimum that a player needs to be given, to have a chance to be succesful.

2. Then you say, okay, if 50% of the last mission is succeeded/Reaching primary quest, or having 50% of used units as casualties, and not more, the player gets the 'full 100%' of what he is intended to get and have a fair way to solve it, depending on the difficulty whether this is a beginner mission or late in the campaign, the real nuts to crack.

The 100% is then lets easify is (..., but 2x factor is a pretty strong advantage, but not if the total units/money is low, or the enemy presence diminishes the difference to a minor factor, maybe its harder to reach secondary goals with additional forces, but the primary target is save to be reachable.)...

Then 50%(=the minimum) till-100%(=leastsucceeded with less than 50% casualties) of the recommended forces is granted, and with bonus goals and less units lost, you get Bonus cash, your hero units again, or certain units, that were on normal level before, now as a bonus starting in elite level or so.

->So you score the last level into a % scale, and give a translation of say 50% to 150% into the next mission,

OR start at zero(for harder difficulty), and everything must be brought by the player, but expecting that the least 50% are not hard to reach. (you succeeded the mission, but have no oil left for the goalrun, so try it again for veterans)

OR: You want to transfer total-units, the same, with increased rank, and maybe even the same repair status. Or you saved tha radar the last game, and because you saved it, you now have access to higher tech, instead of having to live with low tech.

This makes missions tremendous more exciting. etc.

The Storage mechanic for silos:

the refinery isnt storing resouces, but only silos do, and hence every player needs to have a number of silos to have fluid economy, otherwise you have a just-in-time economy, where every penny must be built instantly, otherwise you get a cash overflow -which ( - oh yes: btw: 1) pauses your harvestors, or just deletes tiberium/ore amounts that you end with a shorter total capacity later, which everybody hates: If there is no way of getting unlimited res later.

You get a standard start-stack of 1000, which you can increase with refineries either not at all, or to like 200 instead of 1000, but even with 200, you will build 5-10 refineries later, so you will not get affected too much having no silos.  But still, if you destroy refineries with capacity, this shortcut shall hurt! Even in large games where you handle 20+ refineries, this must be less than excessive amounts, that you can influence.

a) Most important is: If you destroy the silos, the player who looses them will loose the major part of his stored money, down to a very low limit.

b) you must be in need to build a lot (enough) of silos, so the space is not always ideal to protect sooner or later, and you become vulnerable to raidings to your money pockets, if you store and produce excessive. So the silos also have a low capacity, and its just harder to get a comfortable stack.

I have a c:) Unit type-Superiority: Lazy monotonous unit production shall be less superior, workable, but not the lazy way out of any need of silos I meant

(1) If the storage of a player is full, I would like to have the change, that harvesters stop to unload their load, staying in the refinery, and waiting for free space, instead of 'vanishing cash': The player shall be punished for not giving care, but maybe not by throwing the overflow away without any trace to catch later.