new pre-cncnet5 Red Alert 1 Online Lobby

FunkyFr3sh

I have done a language for this lobby from my country. :)

We are probably very little and unknown country on the huge world and next to huge Russia but also in this country there are some fans although unfortunately not that much of us...

I want that the public application also have this and hope you'll take it. :roll:

It surely makes your lobby more advanced. ;)

thanks, good job ! I just included it :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I also suggest that you add the ping to the lobby. While those legacy RTS games require very few bandwidth the roundtrip time is kinda important although not as much as in shooters. As you use IRC as a backend you might got latency already for free.

Hi Guys,

New here (apart from dropping by to download classic CnC games when I format my PC) and just found this new lobby system for RA which I am getting back into.  The last time I played online was when gamespy ran an online matchmaking service...

Anyway - Really amazing work!  Love the new features.  The only problem I can find is that the pre-created alliances don't seem to work, is there an add-on, dll etc that I should have to get that to work?  The positions that we pick do work however which is great!

Thanks again - There seem to be new additions to this every time I load it via the updater which is awesome! Well done FunkyFr3sh and co  :)

Cheers,

Izomyr

On 5/27/2013 at 9:48 AM, izomyr said:

Hi Guys,

New here (apart from dropping by to download classic CnC games when I format my PC) and just found this new lobby system for RA which I am getting back into.  The last time I played online was when gamespy ran an online matchmaking service...

Anyway - Really amazing work!  Love the new features.  The only problem I can find is that the pre-created alliances don't seem to work, is there an add-on, dll etc that I should have to get that to work?  The positions that we pick do work however which is great!

Thanks again - There seem to be new additions to this every time I load it via the updater which is awesome! Well done FunkyFr3sh and co  :)

Cheers,

Izomyr

hi !

There is one problem with the alliances, it doesn't work properly if there is only 1 human and some ai players in the game. With multiple humans it works very well (you can do 2vs2, 2human vs 2ai)

The problem is.. the ai will unally you if someone dies and there is only 1 human left

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.  Truth be told I only tested the alliances with ai players this morning.  The couple of previous test games had been with human players without pre-defined alliances so it will just be that then :)

Thanks,

izomyr

Hello - me again,

Some more testing done this evening and me and my friend were attempting to play against 2 ai and I made a couple of observations which may have been brought up before but if not might be of interest.

Starting locations - Although I can pick a starting location there does not seem to be any easy way to identify which number location corresponds to which little red dot on the mini map.  So the only way that I could ensure that we both started near each other was for us both to start in the same location.

Pre-Created Alliances - As mentioned before the AI does not get on with these - attempting to put any AI into a team (e.g. all AI team B) seems to stop premade alliances from working at all.

Another thing we tested was for just the human players being in one team and the AI left as no team - this seemed to make us half-allies.  Our units would not attack each other but we would not share unit/building vision

I appreciate that this is a work in progress - just hope my feedback can help.  The new lobby and map selection/preview etc is fantastic

Starting locations - Although I can pick a starting location there does not seem to be any easy way to identify which number location corresponds to which little red dot on the mini map.  So the only way that I could ensure that we both started near each other was for us both to start in the same location.

Discussed this with Funky earlier (in about three lines). It'll be sorted out eventually!

Pre-Created Alliances - As mentioned before the AI does not get on with these - attempting to put any AI into a team (e.g. all AI team B) seems to stop premade alliances from working at all.

Hmmm, not sure what you mean here. Have played several Player team vs AI team games, and all the pre-set alliances were fine throughout the match.

Another thing we tested was for just the human players being in one team and the AI left as no team - this seemed to make us half-allies.  Our units would not attack each other but we would not share unit/building vision

From what I can tell, allies sharing sight only seems to work in single player skirmishes at the moment. Can't say I know how this is intended to work in future versions, although there is a 'planned' (greyed-out) option in the setup room.

I also suggest that you add the ping to the lobby. While those legacy RTS games require very few bandwidth the roundtrip time is kinda important although not as much as in shooters. As you use IRC as a backend you might got latency already for free.

Doing ping over IRC still adds the server as an additional hop, it doesn't give you a realistic number at all. I described how Funky could do an automated port test within a game room and while doing that he can gather the roudtrip time, completely p2p.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, doe this have support for CD installs of the C&C games?

My own current Internet access has a rather limited allowance, so downloading a full no-cd install of them would essentially wipe out most of my online capabilities for the month.  (Of course, if there's any reliable NoCD patches out there that work for the CD installations feel free to point them my way...)

You can use the RA1installer, it will turn your cd version into a fully updated version including the new lobby

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1918.0

choose either patch existing installation if you already got the game installed or do a CD-Installation to a new folder (you can have the game installed twice without problems)

after installing it will tell you there is an update (the new lobby), click yes and download it

the installer got 6mb and the files for the new lobby are around 4mb

• 1 month later...