Welcome, New Members!

Warlord

Plenty of you will already know me. :P

I've recently taken an increased interest in the classics. I'm glad I found CnCNet; I always seem to beat my friends regardless of the circumstances. XD

Red Alert has always been my favourite game (regardless of genre). I always hear people complaining that the allies suck, but in my experience those people are just doing it wrong. :P

• 2 months later...

Hey. I'm new here! Welcome me! :)

My personal CNC favorites are CNC, Tiberian Sun and RA1.

I don't like RA 2 / 3 at all, after EA took over business it was suddenly all C hollywood actors and boring missions with glorified effects. And the humor attempts? Please kill me slowly!

Generals = meh! I've seen better.

Anyways, glad I found this forum, some users here have already helped me alot, you have my thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, names android2002, no idea were I got the name, it poped into my head. Onward, my main strength is strategies, specifically on Generals Zero Hour. Tiberiun Sun would have to be my favorite game, alongside Tiberium Wars. I suppose that sums me up.

Ok guys. Let's get this straight...

Tiberian is the adjective form of tiberium...

Tiberium is obviously the noun to the green crystal called "tiberium".

Tiberian, since it's an adjective. Is to describe tiberium.

Pretty sure that's the difference...

• 8 months later...

At four, I was introduced to C&C, but never grasped the glory of it. Now, fourteen years later, with the purchase, installation, and patching of TFD, I'm ready to take command, again. My name is Nicholas Clark Manuel, but here I'm known as Commander Manuel. My allegiance is with the GDI, if any NOD Conspirators want to test me, you better be ready. 'Cause I'm the zero factor that shows no mercy, and you're troops can take that to the bank, the blood bank!

I also happen to have Asperger's, so watch your tone.

Aside from my mental disorder, I'm learning how to build campaigns, but I seek advice, and sanctuary for my work. It's something that involves Tiberium warfare on another Earth-like planet. I need to know how to add Movies into the MIX files, and in what format and constraints. Essentially I'm trying to cram more stuff into the game, without replacing any assets. If I can't do that, then what good is the project?

Anyway, I am here to learn about modding Tiberian Dawn, and I need your help to get my project going.

Essentially I'm trying to cram more stuff into the game, without replacing any assets. If I can't do that, then what good is the project?

Well unless you're just talking about videos there, that's kinda impossible for now. I'll give a quick overview of the current editing status of the game, in my currently released version, v1.06c revision 2:

• new campaign possibilities can NOT be added.
  • new missions (up to mission number 999) can be added to the New Missions menu.
  • new campaigns, without branching into different choices, can be added to the New Missions menu. (Some restrictions apply. See "addon campaigns" in the C&C95 v1.06c patch readme.)
  • new videos can be added. No restrictions.
  • new music can be added, by editing themes.ini (found inside updatec.mix). No restrictions, as far as I know.

That's as far as modding goes at the moment.

• Adding new units is technically possible internally (for me, as hacker), but can't be exposed as modding possibility since I'm still missing loads of information, like how to add new turret and firing offsets for these units.
  • Infantry seems to have an entire data block full of unknown stuff linked to it. It could be related to the frame configurations for all actions, but tbh, I have no clue. Until I do, I won't allow adding them, and until I got a way to put that data into ini, I don't see how I can even make them editable.
  • Adding new buildings will probably always stay impossible, since the current prerequisites system of the game is already overloaded and doesn't work even with the current civilian buildings.
  • Another problem with buildings is that they require foundation definitions, which are separate things. I got some ideas for that, but nothing implemented.
  • Weapons are fully identified, but need Projectiles to be implemented first.
  • Projectiles ('bullets') have unidentified properties, making it hard to expose it for modders
  • warheads (armour balancing on weapons) have several hardcoded restrictions I want to figure out first. For example, duplicating the Fire warhead doesn't make the duplicate set things on fire. I will have to find all these exceptions and actually MAKE them into properties of the Warhead type before I can expose that.
  • Terrain graphics have an engine-hardcoded maximum of 255 tilesets, but it's possible to add extra cells to an existing tileset (up to 256) and use the extra tiles on a map by hex editing the map, meaning adding them is possible, but using them is hard. Actually adding tilesets is possible internally (only 215 are used so far), but is not implemented yet due to unknown data in the tileset information.

So far, I got drafts of the ini rules, but these ini files were not extracted from the game, they are actually created by me, from information taken from the exe, and I'm hacking the game so it might actually use them. At this moment, only the music ini file actually does anything though, since it was kind of my proof-of-concept on the whole ini rules system. Implementing the rest of them may take years, and depends largely on how much free time I have.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/inirules/

Back to your original subject: adding videos. This is actually ridiculously easy. Once you make the VQA video, just add it in the game folder. No mixfiles needed, even. All you need to do to play it ingame is make sure it's set to play in a mission.

As for making videos, I think I wrote a tutorial on that already... basically, make sure you got the video in 4:3 aspect ratio, and then use RAD video tools to convert it as indicated here:

Video:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/junk/tutorials/vqa_convert_vid.png

Audio:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/junk/tutorials/vqa_convert_aud.png

Then download and start VQA Encoder v0.5 beta 2, set it to produce 8-bit VQA, leave all default options, let it open your frames and audio, and make it bake your VQA video.

Make sure to copy both the VQA and VQP file to the game folder; it needs both of them.