8-bit Armies - a new c&c from ex-Westwood

Milkey Wilkey

I'm actually playing this game ATM, the game play is pretty good, very C&C style, but with a few tweaks (the tweaks are well done, too).

I agree with nyer about the graphics, though. I think it would have been nicer to just be more "realistic" or just simply actually be 8-bit.

I think people today are too hung up on graphics, sometimes, making them "better", actually makes it worse, and I think that this game is an example of that.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm really enjoying the game and do recommend it.

I love Grey Goo, but there was just so little content in it.

8-Bit Armies kind of has the same thing going on. It's not listed as a Greenlight game on Steam, but rather an already completed one. But obviously when you play, you can tell there's a lack of content in terms of units and so forth.

As far as I can tell, limited and rushed content is a rule for Petroglyph games. Possibly with the exception of Empire at War, since I haven't really played it and it appears to be have been an actually succesful game.

Universe at War had diverse factions, but the campaign was quite short, and especially the Masari planet conquest part was clearly rushed.

Grey Goo also has diverse factions, but at least the Beta was fairly simple (I played it on a Steam free weekend). There's also only 5 missions for each faction.

And now 8-Bit Armies has only 1 extremely simple faction. Even Tiberian Dawn GDI had a more diverse unit arsenal.

It looks like that even Dune2 and Warcraft where more diverse than this.

I have seen similar games that have the same basic design.

As if this was a school project. (This time with success)

Some how, I have the feeling that they could turn this into something that has much, much more than what we are seeing now. I guess, they have done an experiment with this game.

All older games are more diverse. This is mostly due to the amount of effort it takes to create things in 3D. 2D map tiles are a way to very quickly make map terrain, but modern games can't get away with that kind of stuff anymore, which makes creating maps tons more labor-intensive, and thus, costly :(

All older games are more diverse. This is mostly due to the amount of effort it takes to create things in 3D. 2D map tiles are a way to very quickly make map terrain, but modern games can't get away with that kind of stuff anymore, which makes creating maps tons more labor-intensive, and thus, costly :(

I think that voxels are actually re-allowing this fast paced creation.

https://humblebundle-a.akamaihd.net/misc/files/hashed/0dde4abd56b8871cc84b808260e248c04b434d0b.jpg

A lot has been recycled here as well. And that what has been recycled. Doesn't look that good actually.

I did the same once with an UT map, where the same object was placed a dozen times in the map.

A 3D model needs time and experience.

A 3D voxel model is as if you are playing in paint.

A lot has been recycled here as well. And that what has been recycled. Doesn't look that good actually.

My point exactly. To keep up with modern gaming industry standards, they need that detailed terrain that is so expensive to make.