The online community

Liampie

I've played Tiberian Sun for a long time, starting somewhere in the previous century. But it's only since a week that I've discovered how to play multiplayer online, so even though I'm experienced with the game my tactics are not very adapted to the online culture. Fine. Except for that it seems to be a problem for some people... They ask "newb?" in the chat and when you say yes they kick you. To me it seems that in general there are just A LOT of rude and frustrated people playing Tiberian Sun. And immature. The dominant type of behaviour seems to be typing things like 'ur' instaed of 'your', using more abbreviations than actual words (which is very inaccessible for new or casual people) and calling people fags when they leave a game. I want to mix in and play games but not like this. I'm seriously disillusioned with this online community. What is your view on this?

I have a negative view on some people of this community. But to find people who are well mannered?

- Try some of the other games.

- Try to play games with people from your own country, see the flags attached to names.

- Host a game yourself, claiming it is a newb game vs AI. At least you can measure yourself against others who are your allies. And perhaps you can befriend some for a 1v1 game later on, or a 2v2 game against any one.

I say there is need for a ranking system. Only then the community can grow before it is destroyed again by the hard core.

Good luck hunting.

Immature, excessive unnecessary abbreviations, rude and frustrated.... Pretty much described how online games community are like these days, sadly the Tiberian Sun community is very much like this (try Tiberian Dawn, you almost don't have this). We all had to deal with these idiots. Sooner or later, you'll adapt to the environment and learn to ignore them (if you're willing to stay, that is).

You can try looking for other newbies and play together or some experienced player who doesn't care if you're new but most of them are d-bags. The more skillful people think they are, the greater their ego.

TRZ is right. It was the same for me when i started but once i learned the basics, people were more willing to play with me. I suggest doing the following:

- read mole40k's tiberian sun guide (search google for it)

- watch sol's videos on youtube  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEVSLnbEGMP4cOqH10SzVNw

- join terrace games as a spectator and try to copy how they play but bare in mind the tactics they use wont apply to all maps

good luck

I've played Tiberian Sun for a long time, starting somewhere in the previous century. But it's only since a week that I've discovered how to play multiplayer online, so even though I'm experienced with the game my tactics are not very adapted to the online culture. Fine. Except for that it seems to be a problem for some people... They ask "newb?" in the chat and when you say yes they kick you. To me it seems that in general there are just A LOT of rude and frustrated people playing Tiberian Sun. And immature. The dominant type of behaviour seems to be typing things like 'ur' instaed of 'your', using more abbreviations than actual words (which is very inaccessible for new or casual people) and calling people fags when they leave a game. I want to mix in and play games but not like this. I'm seriously disillusioned with this online community. What is your view on this?

1. Welcome to TS online :D

2. The main issue is that if it is a team game, say 2v2 for example: if 3 players are 'top players' and the 4th player is 'very new', then it will be a horribly miserable game for whichever guy has the new player on their team.  In some games like 4v4, it can be more balanced, and there can be a newer player on each team, but in 2v2 or even 3v3 games it is the sad truth that it is just simply impossible to 'carry' the newer player and have any sort of balanced game.  It is like someone who has never played chess before trying to go up against a chess master in world chess competitions, it's just not practical.

3.  Abbreviations are an online thing that don't really have much to do with skill level on TS.  You should find that the large majority of online gamers HATE typing (regardless of how much or how fast they may type) and abbreviations help with this.  Not sure what your issue is with someone using 'ur' instead of 'your', but there are a lot of abbreviations that the 'pro' players use to vet out new players to see if they are good or not, so if you don't know some of these abbreviations, it is probably because you have not learned them yet.

4.  You realllllly need to:

A) Start playing lots of 1v1 Terraces games vs 'pro' players (and learning the hard way)

B) Find another new player like yourself to practice with (not on mod maps, which will only result in it taking 10x the time for you to learn this game properly)

C) Find 'pro' players that are willing to teach you.  Some of the best, like c0rpsmakr and others are more than willing to train new players.

D) Start trying to play in 4v4 Forest Fires games (after having someone teach you how to play the map).  A wide variety of skill levels play this map and it is a map that mixed skill levels can play together without the obvious issues maps like Terraces have.

E) Watch online videos on youtube of better players and try to learn how they play the game and how they play certain maps / positions.

With that said though, I was thinking it would be realllly cool to have CO-OP Campaign missions, that new players could play together.  I was thinking it would be real neat if two or more new players could buddy up and learn online play skills together in a co-op mission without getting bored and lonely so fast.

A tiger has to earn it's stripes. Get better on your own time.

then it will be a horribly miserable game for whichever guy has the new player on their team.

Really good comments by TRZ, KushLounge, and Humble. I just want to add that TS is a small and divided community. :roll:  It is a difficult place even with those of us that have been around for a while. :mad:

I want to mix in and play games but not like this. I'm seriously disillusioned with this online community. What is your view on this?

I can relate. It is going to be difficult to fit in. It will take a long time, and you might give up.

Being that this place is divided and small, most of these players have been around for a LONG TIME. It's like a clique, or a groupie thing. New players just don't fit in with their game. When you get kicked, make a note of the players in the room. Next, try to find games that do not have those players, and do what Fir3w0rx suggested. ;)  Yes, there are sleaze balls around.

Like Humble suggested steer away from the mods. Unfortunately, that's probably where you will end up. At this point, you will learn all the wrong things, and a bunch of other bad stuff.

I haven't been on in the last month and a half, but when I do get on, I would be willing to help teach you some things to get you better assimilated with the community. A lot of the people that play are absolute idiots, no doubt, but this community is small and you're bound to encounter many of them, and you can't let it affect your enjoyment of the game.

Feel free to message me on here to ask any questions you have and see when I'm getting on, because some of these idiots (such as TRZ) like to get on my log and pretend to be me, which is a weird, running occurrence with players now and also it's against the cncnet rules if I am not mistaken, so it's best to message me here first.

Don't let people make you not enjoy yourself here. Everyone was new at one point, people just forget that and look down on newer players to feel better about themselves, but it's like that on every game I'd imagine.

Watch games on official maps (not modified maps), because in general, the players are of higher caliber and you'll learn the correct way to execute strategies and control units, and you'll pick up on the lingo/abbreviations quickly.

And most importantly, have fun