Printed Armies - CnC 3D Printing

Kalle Bowo

Hey folks,

someone on Instagram told me I should show off the stuff I make here in this forum. So here we go: I design 3D printed miniatures based on Command & Conquer. Currently I am working on a complete GDI and NOD miniature base from Tiberian Dawn / Renegade. But other stuff like the Mammoth MK II from Tiberian Sun or the Kirov Airship from Red Alert 2 are also on my list.

If you want to see more, you can go to my website: www.printed-armies.com

I am regularily uploading photos of my latest prints. So if you want to stay up to date, you can follow me on instagram: www.instagram.com/printedarmies

And if you wish, you can also like my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/printedarmies

Here are some examples, enjoy :)

PS: And no, I didn't copy your logo, I actually didn't know about this forum until yesterday :P

studioshoot02.jpg

studioshoot05.jpg

studioshoot06.jpg

silos.jpg

printed-armies-wallpaper-base-small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks OK. Not impressed.

Any advice on how to do it better? Except for painting that stuff obviously  ;)

one day theyll have a 3d painter

Well actually there are already 3D printers that print already with the correct color on the correct surface. You have probably heard of all those "3D scan yourself and get a 20cm mini-me for only 200$" offers. If not, here is an example. Well and these companies use these machines. But obviously it's extremely expensive and absolutely not affordable for a person like you and me to own such a thing.

Looks OK. Not impressed.

Any advice on how to do it better? Except for painting that stuff obviously  ;)

one day theyll have a 3d painter

Well actually there are already 3D printers that print already with the correct color on the correct surface. You have probably heard of all those "3D scan yourself and get a 20cm mini-me for only 200$" offers. If not, here is an example. Well and these companies use these machines. But obviously it's extremely expensive and absolutely not affordable for a person like you and me to own such a thing.

I too had seen better. There was more detail too in those. And these where only the colour yellow.

But man, those 3D mini-me's look awesome!!!.

Maybe I should get one and give it to my buddy who gathers puppets of all kind of games and series.

• 1 month later...

For what are you going to have them? Just decoration? Or is there a possible game involved?

Well, the miniatures I'm building at the moment are purely decoration. They strive for maximum detail and kind of close resemblence inspired by the original game art.

However I have indeed designed a board game based on C&C, already back in 2011. The design still holds up to this day, I just played it during the christmas and new years holidays with a couple of friends and it's still fun.

dnd01.jpg

dnd02.jpg

dnd03.jpg

dnd04.jpg

dnd05.jpg

I know you will ask, so I have to curb your expectations a bit: No, there is no feasable way to get you a copy of this game. I know that you will say "I don't care about the price, I'm a super hard core extreme uber C&C fan". I heard this sentence so many times ... but this final game prototype you can see above (all in all I made 4 different prototypes during the 6 months of development) costs 300€ to make and takes 3 full days working with equipment I don't have access to anymore. Yes, I could tell someone who still can operate these machines to build another copy for me, but let's run the calculations: 10€/hour * 8 hours/day * 3 days = 240€ + 300€ costs for the material = 540€ per one copy of that board game and I wouldn't even earn a penny. Who in the right mind would pay 600€ for a board game ... :/

I thought a lot about it but I don't see a way to get you a proper game produced on my own. Now you say "just give us the files and we print it on our own". Then I say "I said *proper* version, not a fragile paper print out". Plus if I give you the files, who gives me the assurance that you don't build and sell the stuff on your own? Produced on cheap ass material for half the costs I would calculate and sold for double the price. Now you say "Common Kalle, where is your trust in humanity?" Well, I already witnessed in the past that people took my art work without permission printed it on mugs and phone cases and sold the stuff. So no, sadly that's no option either.

I also thought about trying to pitch the game to board game companies and sell it without the name "Command & Conquer", but the rules - though abstract and simplified as much as possible - are still too complex for a mass audience. It is a niche product for a specific target audience. People who are looking for C&C won't find it in the shelves if it doesn't read "C&C" on the box and people who don't know C&C will hesitate because it might be too complex.

The only option to make this game a success is to sell it with the original IP. So I can only wait until EA announces a new C&C so I can get in contact with them again. The thing is, they were interested in my game. I played it with Eric Krause who was the Community Manager back in the day and also responsible for the merchandising. He liked it. I even got permission to visit Germany's biggest board convention to go looking for companies willing to produce it with the original IP. Long story short, the day after I returned from the convention when I wanted to tell Eric about my findings, I read the news "EA closes the C&C dev studio Victory Games" and I read Eric posting on Facebook "Well, that's a surprise, today I am only allowed to get into my office with a visitor's pass". Half a year later I managed to get in contact with someone still working for EA and connected to C&C and he told me, no, at the moment, as long as there is no new C&C game out there, they are not interested in selling any C&C related merchandising, board games, whatsoever.

So until this day I am waiting ^^ but, as I said the board game is still fun, the design still holds up. If it gets released in 2 years or in 10, it doesn't matter.

Back to topic: Yes, I totally thought about making 3D printed figurines for my board game (which wouldn't make the mass production all by myself any easier or even cheaper^^). But I would need to change the models whoch I am building at the momet. They just don't fit to the game grid and it is important that they do fit to the grid. It's that simple.

Questions, suggestions, emotions? ^^

Nice, very nice. Extremely nice.

And I feel you on the, "they took my job" part.

Questions, suggestions, emotions? ^^

Question: What if you completely changed the game into something "modern warfare" like? I mean, that players will only think that it is remotely something to C&C after playing. So, artwork needs to change. Names too. That is, if you don't want have to do anything with EA games. And I think, that should be your goal.

Suggestion: Go to BGDF, if you don't already know about them. They are sort of official. And see what they can do for you. After that, the next step would be BGG. Both sites, just for advice on things. Since I am a rookie on BGDF and a ghost on BGG. Others are well known (self)publishers. Starters and veterans. You can ask them any thing regarding a board game.

Emotion: Well, I have something similar. But different in many, many aspects. C&C could be an option with my rules as well. But your pictures show me a WOW and COOL kind of emotion. But also a proud one, that someone managed to get it complete. And known at EA games. I am stuck with crappy paper and crappy artwork at the moment. Well, you know, "life" gets in the way.

A Boardgame On Demand service? Guys, that's so awesome! Thank you sooo much for giving me that hint! I will have a look at that and calculate it through! Maybe that's really the way to go. I have to see.

Just out of curiosity, what would you pay for such a board game? I never quite felt the need to ask that question since my production costs (producing it one copy at a time per hand) would far exceed what a normal human being would pay. I mean, come on, 600€ for a board game?! Ain't nobody got time or money for dat ^^ but with this website, maybe the costs are lower. As I said, I need to calculate it when I find the time.

Changing the graphics and getting rid of the C&C terminology wouldn't be the problem. Sure, it's work and takes time, but it is absolutely possible.

Again, thanks for that advice! =)

A Boardgame On Demand service? Guys, that's so awesome! Thank you sooo much for giving me that hint! I will have a look at that and calculate it through! Maybe that's really the way to go. I have to see.

Please share the calculations when ready. I am curious.

Just out of curiosity, what would you pay for such a board game? I never quite felt the need to ask that question since my production costs (producing it one copy at a time per hand) would far exceed what a normal human being would pay. I mean, come on, 600€ for a board game?! Ain't nobody got time or money for dat ^^ but with this website, maybe the costs are lower. As I said, I need to calculate it when I find the time.

Take your time!! That is a common advice any way. Because rushing will do you no good.

€60 would be a max from the first pictures shown. But I am a generous person.

As said before; the "tough" crowd for professional advice and oppinions are to be at BGDF and BGG.

Production costs plus shipping is often between 50% and 75%. Thus they should only be €30 to €45 per game.

Changing the graphics and getting rid of the C&C terminology wouldn't be the problem. Sure, it's work and takes time, but it is absolutely possible.

Again, thanks for that advice! =)

It's all about accepting "saying goodbye" to your own game. That a project needs to change, if you want money to roll.

If not, it will remain a hobby (my case)

I think, it is wise to go back to topic. 3D printed miniatures. The board game should have a topic in one of those other forums.

I wonder though, how did you know about the on demand, Taxowlbear?