Request Features

v2elite

Hi,

what about a pinned thread where users can request features/enhancements for the Red Alert 2 client? I think this would ne a good source to gain new ideas or user feedback.

Possible Structure:

Name of Request:

Ping of Players in Game Lobby

Description:

Ping of players should be shown next to the player in the lobby (currently it is just shown when a player joins). Maybe it could be done via colors: <80ms green, <100ms yellow, >100ms red, no ping grey (and on hoover over it it shows the value)

Reason:

Better overview + faster kick + faster gamestart

Picture:

Attached

Ideally each request would be answered and the Roadmap would be displayed in the first post...:

Answer: No, because.... or Yes, added to roadmap - please provide more deteails or suggestion.

feature.jpg

not always but most of the time it actually is....

but this was just an example... i just think it could be a good opportunity to see whats important for people to prioritize the roadmap...

Edited by v2elite

Name of Request:

1. Default Superweapons = Off

2. high res map preview

Description:

1. Since from my experience most games are played without superweapons... annoying to switch it off every time

2. maybe it is possible to implement an automated high resolution map preview (real-time?) directly to the client:

Don't know about the author, but there's a tutorial on how to change map previews here. It's a bit complicated, so it may take some time. You may also want the CnC Maps Renderer to generate your map preview (though if you do use that, you'll likely need to size the image down so it doesn't make the file size of your map way too big).

6 hours ago, v2elite said:

2. maybe it is possible to implement an automated high resolution map preview (real-time?) directly to the client

The map renderer is actually already built into the client. If you go to your custom maps folder, you should see all the previews it's generated.

Name of request:

LaddeR for YR/Ra2

description:

Rank of the players should be shown when they join a lobby and people should get/lose points for every 1v1/2v2 games they play.

Reason:

More competitive games + more fun + less noobs + we've been w8ing so long for it :(

Edited by Blazer
  • Upvote 1

Name of Request:

Ban option

Description:

being able to ban someone from joining your games/pming you.

Reason:

no more trash talkers + no more crying n4bs + no more headache + a real means of a confident gaming.

p.s. for more information and know what i mean, you can have a look at game ranger server.

9 hours ago, Blazer said:

Name of Request:

Ban option

Description:

being able to ban someone from joining your games/pming you.

Reason:

no more trash talkers + no more crying n4bs + no more headache + a real means of a confident gaming.

p.s. for more information and know what i mean, you can have a look at game ranger server.

i think there's a ban option at cncnet right under kick but no block option for players that trash talk at pm just ignore and i get what u mean by ban at GR nice idea tho

13 hours ago, Blazer said:

Name of request:

LaddeR for YR/Ra2

description:

Rank of the players should be shown when they join a lobby and people should get/lose points for every 1v1/2v2 games they play.

Reason:

More competitive games + more fun + less noobs + we've been w8ing so long for it :(

This is one sure way to not again any new players, we should be helping the newer players not putting a target on their back.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.7.2017 at 7:49 AM, Grant said:

This is one sure way to not again any new players, we should be helping the newer players not putting a target on their back.  

It could be defined that you only get points if you beat players max 10 ranks below you... so if you get 0 points for beating noob players it would avoid your concern

Edited by v2elite

On 7/13/2017 at 7:15 AM, Marsh said:

when someone thinks ping is always directly related to lag.......

not always the case m8

I had a 10 minute argument with Martin(FreQuenzy) who swears by his life that ping is directly related to lag.  No matter how simply i tried to explain it, he just wouldnt get it...

1 hour ago, Gun_Man said:

I had a 10 minute argument with Martin(FreQuenzy) who swears by his life that ping is directly related to lag.  No matter how simply i tried to explain it, he just wouldnt get it...

because he is right

i dont agree i have a ping of 300 or 200 at the lowest does not mean i lag. someone with a average or below pc with 15 ping could lag more than me. thats what gun man is trying to say. yes its a bit slower then it would be if everyone was 15 ping but its still not lag :)

i've had pings of over 300 and have had the game still be very fast.  As long as your connection to the server is consistent or stable, you will be fine.  There will be a higher delay between commands and actions, but lag, i.e. paused gameplay,  is caused by inconsistent or unstable connections.

If you ever wanna test it, we can find a high ping server for me and I'll show u i'll never have lag.

Here is my Request:

Being able to put passwords on a game that has already been created

Benefits:

When someone has to leave for some reason, or you are waiting for specific people to join your game which is already full. You would be able to put a password on the game to ensure only the people you want to join the game will!

The alternative is remaking the entire game which is just annoying and kills momentum

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, [nra]Buffalo said:

i dont agree i have a ping of 300 or 200 at the lowest does not mean i lag. someone with a average or below pc with 15 ping could lag more than me. thats what gun man is trying to say. yes its a bit slower then it would be if everyone was 15 ping but its still not lag :)

The matter of the fact is that your 300ms ping causes the game to synchronise at 300 + 15 = 315ms, which in turn means that all clicks will take 315ms to synchronise between players, yes your game can feel faster, mainly due to the fact that the game's net code gives you leeway in terms of  how many frames per second you can be ahead of the other players. 

Any delay to an action that the player takes in the game is considered as lag, so in technical terms, the game is actually lagging at 315ms. 
315ms is not actually all that slow in a strategy game and is usually around the average delay/lag you can expect when playing on XWIS.

How ever when your connection (including all the isp and other servers) drops some data packets or one of the servers between you and another player prioritises other traffic you start getting higher ping times and in result more lag.

In the case of data packet loss, the ping for that packet would be doubled/tripled as first, the server/game lets your PC know that a packet was lost 315+315 then you resend it +315 then you get a temporary ping of 3x315=945, on an unstable connection this would happen at random causing lag spikes and erratic connection performance.

19 hours ago, Gun_Man said:

i've had pings of over 300 and have had the game still be very fast.  As long as your connection to the server is consistent or stable, you will be fine.  There will be a higher delay between commands and actions, but lag, i.e. paused gameplay,  is caused by inconsistent or unstable connections.

If you ever wanna test it, we can find a high ping server for me and I'll show u i'll never have lag.

We had a 10-minute conversation because you don't understand that "any delay what so ever is considered as lag".

Hence the phrase "lagging behind".

13 hours ago, a1nthony said:

Being able to put passwords on a game that has already been created

I would also like the player slot system from the original game client so I can change the lobby size with ease without having to kick a lot of players when I'm waiting for only 4 to join at that particular time. 

Rehosting the game every time to set a new player limit is just frustrating and annoying, really poor for user experience.

Also having to lock the lobby every time is another weird and annoying 'feature'.

Why not have auto lock on the start game button?

Why not have auto open on kicking/banning a player?

Some random info about high pings and fast games:

example setup: Euro server is used, 2 players are from Europe, 2 are from Australia

Player A: 40ms ping to the server (Euro)

Player B: 30ms ping to the server (Euro)

Player C: 310ms ping to the server (Australia)

Player D: 320ms ping to the server (Australia)

A is sending data to B: 40+30 = 70ms (All good, no problem)

A is sending data to C: 40+310 = 350 (Still ok, but close to the limit)

C is sending data to D: 310+320 = 630 (Way too much...)

TL;DR Having one player being far away from the server is no problem, but 2 or more players being far away from the server will slow the game down quite a bit

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Some random info about high pings and fast games:

example setup: Euro server is used, 2 players are from Europe, 2 are from Australia

Player A: 40ms ping to the server (Euro)

Player B: 30ms ping to the server (Euro)

Player C: 310ms ping to the server (Australia)

Player D: 320ms ping to the server (Australia)

A is sending data to B: 40+30 = 70ms (All good, no problem)

A is sending data to C: 40+310 = 350 (Still ok, but close to the limit)

C is sending data to D: 310+320 = 630 (Way too much...)

TL;DR Having one player being far away from the server is no problem, but 2 or more players being far away from the server will slow the game down quite a bit

that works fine for me the only one playing from new zealand lolz. but i still think its a bad idea to have pings but thats fine if they do put it in. you can just block your ping from showing.

Yeah, this will just create more unwarranted animosity among players. Some players with higher pings don't lag. Other factors will cause lag. Some players will have a ping of 50, but run on a Pentium 1 for example. The player base here already does enough witch hunting as it is. The reason they want ping to.display is to witch hunt some more. 

49 minutes ago, FlyingMustache said:

Yeah, this will just create more unwarranted animosity among players. Some players with higher pings don't lag. Other factors will cause lag. Some players will have a ping of 50, but run on a Pentium 1 for example. The player base here already does enough witch hunting as it is. The reason they want ping to.display is to witch hunt some more. 

truth, I've joined games and because my ping was 103 ms I was kicked because they knew I'd lag

• Upvote 1