C&C Gold Headache

GDI0311

Question

I'm really tired of trying to get this to work as I encounter one problem after the other.

First, I had the memory error issue. I did my homework and changed the ddraw.ini render to gdi instead of the open GL, I fought hard to try and get the game to run in a window, got the video pack etc. Here's is the problem:

I turn on my laptop, CnC will run but the mouse cursor will spasm all over the screen, I cannot control it or use it to click on anything. If I close the program, CnC will freeze on the opening intro video and it will not run again until I reset my laptop.

So every single time I try to trouble shoot, I have to actually reset it. All of the different config options make no difference once this occurs, and I am getting a headache trying to sort this out, can anyone please help me?

Thank you.

10 answers to this question

Thank you for your response I appreciate it.

However I cannot follow step 3. I am using Windows 10 and I do not have the option to disable display scaling, I have the option to override it and select scaling performed by: Application, System or System (Enhanced). 

The game is still freezing up at the intro :(

16 minutes ago, GDI0311 said:

Thank you for your response I appreciate it.

However I cannot follow step 3. I am using Windows 10 and I do not have the option to disable display scaling, I have the option to override it and select scaling performed by: Application, System or System (Enhanced). 

The game is still freezing up at the intro :(

I never tried with videos tbh, I will have a look and see what happens

Use override it and select scaling performed by: Application

17 minutes ago, GDI0311 said:

Thank you, please let me know.

I tried it with scaling performed by application, no luck.

It works fine for me if I follow all 3 steps.

1) Open  CCConfig.exe and make sure "Use CnC-DDraw" and "Limit frame rate" are checked.

This one gets your game running on windows 10, "Use CnC-DDraw" for fast rendering and "Limit frame rate" for slower scrollrate

2) Rename your c&c95.exe to c&c95_123.exe and make a new shortcut for it on your desktop

This prevents the memory error on startup

3) Right click c&c95_123.exe, Properties->Compatibility, make sure "disable display scaling on High DPI settings" is checked and all other settings are disabled (Don't enable any other compat mode!)

This is fixing the uncontrollable mouse cursor and the frozen main menu bug

I don't have any issues with the intro movie, so I'm not sure what that is about. You can disable the intro in conquer.ini , maybe that helps

[Intro]
PlayIntro=No

Tested on windows 10 64bit (creators update)

I've done everything you have said, it doesn't work.

I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it without adding the video pack and now I have a different problem, the game will load the main menu, but I cant click on anything and if I try to, the game locks up and I am forced to shut it down via the task manager. 

Something is really wrong here. And FYI, when I was using an older laptop with win7 I had a very odd error, I can install and play CnC just once, and after that the game will never run again unless the computer ends up being reformatted. It's ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, GDI0311 said:

I've done everything you have said, it doesn't work.

I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it without adding the video pack and now I have a different problem, the game will load the main menu, but I cant click on anything and if I try to, the game locks up and I am forced to shut it down via the task manager. 

Something is really wrong here. And FYI, when I was using an older laptop with win7 I had a very odd error, I can install and play CnC just once, and after that the game will never run again unless the computer ends up being reformatted. It's ridiculous.

The menu issues are caused by high dpi scaling in combination with the mhack=True setting in ddraw.ini, if the dpi compat mode doesn't work for you then try to set mhack=false and see if that works.

Btw, try the multiplayer installer and see if that one works for you (This one is made by me, not nyerguds)

https://downloads.cncnet.org/TiberianDawn_Online_installer.exe

Try to play a skirmish with it.

This one also allows you to press ALT+ENTER to switch between Fullscreen and window mode, try to play around with that too

mhack=false creates two mouse cursors, one within the CNC window that doesn't work, and one outside of the window that does work.

I tried to download and run what you showed me, but it just asks me to insert the CD, so I don't know whats going on there.

*EDIT* figured out to set no cd mode manually, why I had to do it manually i have no idea, the game will run but when i try to click on stuff it locks up and remains frozen, I have to use task manager to shut it down :( seems like I can't play it.

I did get this working WITH the FMV pack just ONCE. I have not been able to get the game to run since then, so something is really wrong here and it is exactly like the last time on my old laptop, it will install and operate just once, then never work again unless I reformat.

Edited by GDI0311

21 minutes ago, GDI0311 said:

mhack=false creates two mouse cursors, one within the CNC window that doesn't work, and one outside of the window that does work.

I tried to download and run what you showed me, but it just asks me to insert the CD, so I don't know whats going on there.

*EDIT* figured out to set no cd mode manually, why I had to do it manually i have no idea, the game will run but when i try to click on stuff it locks up and remains frozen, I have to use task manager to shut it down :( seems like I can't play it.

I did get this working WITH the FMV pack just ONCE. I have not been able to get the game to run since then, so something is really wrong here and it is exactly like the last time on my old laptop, it will install and operate just once, then never work again unless I reformat.

mhack=false only works with windowed=False, can't have a window without mhack sadly.

Why you had to enable the nocd manually, I don't know... never heard of such a problem, it's getting too mysterious :D

I can only give you one more advice, if that doesn't work then you probably really can't play the game... Disable Dpi scaling system wide (set to the default, 100%)

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/118914d1485976242t-change-dpi-scaling-level-displays-windows-10-a-dpi_in_settings-1.png?s=9b3f934875f7fed40d5ad4f365390e52

Once set to 100%, restart you computer and try again