YR & RA2 mode, what needs updating?

[CC] RaVaGe

Please post any differences that you've noticed between the original RA2 and RA2 mode on cncnet  in this thread.
Notice: Spam & crap posts will be deleted, this is not a discussion thread.

Differences between current RA2 mode and original RA2.

First post will be updated with any important details posted in the thread for easy tracking.
Staff can mark or PM me to mark items as done.

Legend

• Done
  • To be finished

Following does work (Will be released in a future update)

• Type select does not work on building types. (keyboard shortcut T) (Fixed by dkeeton)
  • Units spawned in factories after the unit ready announcement are not selectable. (Fixed by dkeeton)

The psychic sensor does not...

• Reveal submerged enemy naval units.
  • Reveal disguised mirages.
  • Reveal disguised spies (units or defences nearby can auto engage).
    It just shows movement psi lines.
  • Show an alert animation on the radar (like a square that glows in the area where something is being revealed).
  • Use Psychic Sensor graphics from RA2, but defaults to Yuri Radar's graphics.

Transport pips are incorrectly coloured or placed.

• RA2 mode uses YR pips.shp rather than RA2's equivalent, which leads to distorted pip displays in some cases. (Fixed by dkeeton)
  • Harrier/Eagle ammo pips are improperly set in art.ini

Gameplay & Balance differences

• Flak weapons seem to be more damaging, from game-play experience they seem more accurate, the flak clouds scatter less when compared to RA2 original.
    Though I've checked the rules vs rulesmd and the values remain the same, could this be a game-system change in the internal code?
  • Applying Iron Curtain to tanks that are infected by Terror Drones does not remove the Terror Drones, while the tanks don't receive any damage for the duration
    of the IC effect, the damage returns upon expiration of the IC effect.
  • Dreadnought and Boomer are unable to receive orders after missiles have been fired. (video)
  • Unable to repair units on a friendly/allied repair depot. (Fixed by dkeeton)

Exploits that need to be fixed in both RA2 mode and YR

• MCV exploits. 
  • Selling arial units such as, kirovs, jets, rocketeers.
  • Chrono miner block.
  • ALT damage transfer (is this still under debate?)
  • Unlimited Chronosphere.
  • Hiding Harriers & Black Eagles inside buildings.
  • Landing Harriers & Black Eagles on Service Depot & Naval Yard.
  • Parking/hovering Harriers & Black Eagles above buildings keeps them from crashing without AFC in some circumstances.
  • Tech Oil Derrick exploit. 
  • Unlimited V3 & Dreadnought range.
  • * Chrono Legionaire promotion.

Bugs in both RA2 mode and YR

• Factory type buildings can get glitched and unable to produce anything until rebuilt or redeployed. 
    Usually happens when a 
    prerequisite structure is lost while producing an item that requires the prerequisite.
    In rare 
    cases, it can happen at game start when building the factory structure the first time.
    (Factory type buildings are Conyard, Warfactory, barracks, naval yard, air force.)
  • A rare bug where units cannot exit a Warfactory, usually happens at the game start,
    units can be bought in the sidebar,
    however, once the unit is ready the player is refunded
    the cost of the unit & no unit exits the factory.
    (This is usually remedied by rebuilding the war factory.)

Minor Differences

• The loading theme on RA2 mode is still the theme of YR (Bully Kit), not RA2 (Jank).
  • Ore Purifier still animates regardless of low power or not in RA2, while in RA2 Mode it does not.
  • When you have something mind controlled of a player that is defeated, the unit explodes in RA2.
    In YR you will keep it and if the mind controlled Yuri dies, the unit becomes neutral hostile.
  • When an uncaptured (civilian) oil derrick is half destroyed in YR, it's working animation is played, this is not the case in RA2.
  • Neutral vehicles scatter when fired upon in RA2, while in YR they don't.
  • Some mind-controlled civilian vehicles are automatically attacked in RA2 mode while in the original RA2 they are treated as insignificant.
  • Propaganda trucks don't use their audio effects for propaganda speech in multiplayer maps on RA2 mode.
  • In the original RA2 neutral/civilian controlled units are allied to any Ai players, on maps like City Under Siege the neutral gates open for the Ai.

@Grant @dkeeton @Iran

Edited by FReQuEnZy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

The psychic sensor should NOT.

• Use Yuri Radar graphics. (kinda obvious I know, but the RA2 mode uses the YR graphics).

That's because the YR graphics for the Psychic Radar and the Cloning Vats "overwrite" the RA2 ones, as they're called the same. This would need the RA2 ones to be reimplemented into YR under separate filenames and separate art.ini tags.

The question is, is it really worth the trouble...

7 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

That's because the YR graphics for the Psychic Radar and the Cloning Vats "overwrite" the RA2 ones, as they're called the same. This would need the RA2 ones to be reimplemented into YR under separate filenames and separate art.ini tags.

The question is, is it really worth the trouble...

Wasn't this fine before the new client though? I remember when I joined here the RA2 mode art was fine, the new client came out, and suddenly the art reverted to YR again and never got fixed since

Other thing if I remember right: 
Tanya's dead sound is from YR in RA2 mode, not RA2.

Things that I prefer not removed but is different:
-Hospital heals units all the time instead of 1 unit entering like in RA2

YR bugs.

Invisible MCV and sell+move bug for free infantry+engineer

Unlimited Chronosphere

Selling air Units Kirovs/rockies/Siege

Harriers/Eagles hiding inside buildings also repairable on service depot/naval yard however im not sure if thats a bug or not.

Chrono legionare attacking an oil (even for a split second) renders the oil useless as it stops providing income.

A brute can run through an allied miner as it teleports. This kills the miner.

Long range v3/Dreadnought.

Cant deposit ore in allys ref? (Might have been fixed)

Ivan bombs are supposed to able to be disarmed by an engineer.

Killing enough of your own units with a legionare makes it elite.

Ill have a look on ra2 mode tommorow and see the differences.

I suggest removing the oil exploit. I still don't see many people do it, and wouldn't want that to happen if this bug is unfixable.

Invisible MCV and sell+move bug for free infantry+engineer

Isn't this one exclusive to RA2 engine? I am very sure you can't move an MCV in YR when its deploying/undeploying unlike RA2

Unlimited Chronosphere

Ditto for this, unless its a different exploit then I am thinking of

Rest is YR though

Edited by Ra2Nub

17 minutes ago, Ra2Nub said:

I am very sure you can't move an MCV in YR when its deploying/undeploying unlike RA2

This has already been tested by both myself and ZigZag and functions the same way as in RA2, thus needs fixing.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

38 minutes ago, ZiGZaG said:

Cant deposit ore in allys ref? (Might have been fixed)

Ivan bombs are supposed to able to be disarmed by an engineer.

When were these ever broken?
I haven't tested sharing ore to allied ore refinery, but I've never encountered problems defusing Ivan bombs with engineers.

I've updated first post with your list.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

The Ivan bombs thing might be related to the multi-engineer option when hosting a match. Try with it on and off.

Ares fixed a bunch of these bugs (not all of them). Try and figure out more and then we'll make a post on the Ares subforums on ppmsite so we can get confirmation. Then we can port the Ares fixes to the CnCNet patches.

The thing with pips and psychic sensor graphics are a bit hairy to do clean, so probably the best way is to just ship the ra2 graphics for those 2 in a seperate mix that's loaded when ra2mode is enabled or embed them in the exe for ra2mode.

EDIT: dkeeton has another plan to fix graphics.

Wasn't there also some exploit where you coud sell tanks on the service depot, but for only one side?

Edited by Iran

14 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

Isn't this one exclusive to RA2 engine? I am very sure you can't move an MCV in YR when its deploying/undeploying unlike RA2

Its the exact same in both games. Almost all of they glitches can be done in both.

The biggest difference between Ra2 and ra2mode/yr is the speed. Ra2s a much faster game than YR. Ra2mode is at the same speed as YR.

I dont know what exactly is different and Grant checked things before and couldnt find anything.

I can definetly say though having played both for years ra2 is much faster. Everything from making buildings to overall gameplay seems quicker.

Edited by ZiGZaG

1 minute ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Buildings have always built at same speed, only tanks have a reduction between 30% - 50%.

nah surely that cant be right? when i get used to playing ra2 then come back to yr it feels like it takes ages for the first power to be ready, im not alone in this multiple players who have always played both have mentioned it to me before aswell 

7 minutes ago, LeOwNzAll said:

In Ra2 Sov miner can load in allied ref ?

If yes it's bug, else i think it's a capability of Chrono miner.

any miner can deposit in any ref afaik? Dont think this is a bug, always been able to do this aslong as you have a ref of your own, makes sense in 2v2 if 1 cant produce units they can mine resources for there ally.

Edited by ZiGZaG

1 hour ago, ZiGZaG said:

nah surely that cant be right? when i get used to playing ra2 then come back to yr it feels like it takes ages for the first power to be ready, im not alone in this multiple players who have always played both have mentioned it to me before aswell 

I checked the code it's true. The tank build speed must have caused a placebo effect on other things.

Also on cncnet the first PP gets ready faster usually due to the connections evening out sooner than on xwis.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

17 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

I checked the code it's true. The tank build speed must have caused a placebo effect on other things.

Also on cncnet the first PP gets ready faster usually due to the connections evening out sooner than on xwis.

Even on XWIS its faster on ra2 than YR. You build a base quicker on ra2. Gameplay is faster aswell. I dont know about code but after years of experience i know this for a fact. 

I always assumed it was because playing against yuri at ra2 speed would be near impossible.

The building speed is the same, if you ever play against someone with a good connection speed it's just as fast or even faster.
I used to think the same, it's just placebo, try playing 1v1 with just 2 players in lobby on a good tunnel server.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

1 minute ago, Gun_Man said:

Selecting tanks as they are built while they're still inside the war using a select box or "t" is not possible on RA2 Mode, but is in the original game.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, FReQuEnZy said:

Following does not work (thanks dkeeton)

• Units spawned in factories after the unit ready announcement are not selectable.

I suggest you read the thread before posting to avoid reporting the same problem twice.
This will be included in a future fix.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FReQuEnZy said:

The building speed is the same, if you ever play against someone with a good connection speed it's just as fast or even faster.
I used to think the same, it's just placebo, try playing 1v1 with just 2 players in lobby on a good tunnel server.

so i just tested this and Yr was 20 seconds faster to get ic using the same build against the same player :/ what i did notice though is the first power plant builds much faster on ra2 :/ is unit movement speed different? Ra2 has always felt more fast paced i dont know how YR ended up quicker lol

• Grant pinned this topic
  • Grant locked and unpinned this topic