Let's get some Ladder Talk Going

XXxPrePxX

1 hour ago, XXxPrePxX said:

I don't have a dog in this race, but this does seem to be a problem with the CNCNet ladder... due to their being no auto-ss and no way of telling what is going on in the games, I could theoretically push with someone for 30 wins in a given month and there would never be conclusive evidence available to stop me. 

I don't have a solution for it, and I'd wish there would be a better competitive spirit than what we saw with that particular incident... anyway, thanks for the reply Grant!

Exactly, 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, SodswSov said:

There is no “average” yuri player.... There is either a good yuri player, or a bad one. Only time the “average” yuri players gets exposed as being average, is if it’s YvY. Otherwise it’s pretty basic and not a lot to work with. So any yuri player with basic common knowledge of the units can easily get the upper hand in early to mid games. Most players playing against yuri just want the shit to be over quick so they can enjoy an actual competitive match so they go for a certain move and if it fails they move on to the next opponent because time is valuable and every second playing a yuri troll is a waste of trying to accomplish a little bit of enjoyment from the game. 

Exist people that build early flack canon vs soviets, people that know a bit the estándar build order in the maps that they know (this are average) and exist the no life people that only think in increase the APM and memorize build order in every official map, say that exist only 2 kind of people is a bad idea, i wish we can see the win-lose ratio of every player like an ELO of Age of Empires III were every player has a number and rank level so you know how good is it, and in AoE3 they are like 10 ranks of players. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like another good/great month for ladder competition. It's only the 22nd and we have a top 10 over 900 points and a rank 1 at 1614. Let's push for the top 10 HOFs!!

Also, if there's anyway to make ranks noticeable in the lobby that would be a BIG HELP as it gives people some meaning to get top ranked.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:18 PM, XXxPrePxX said:

I don't have a dog in this race, but this does seem to be a problem with the CNCNet ladder... due to their being no auto-ss and no way of telling what is going on in the games, I could theoretically push with someone for 30 wins in a given month and there would never be conclusive evidence available to stop me. 

I don't have a solution for it, and I'd wish there would be a better competitive spirit than what we saw with that particular incident... anyway, thanks for the reply Grant!

How could we get auto ss back? Is it possible. This my friend would be a good start to a solution against anti pushing.

23 minutes ago, Reano said:

How could we get auto ss back? Is it possible. This my friend would be a good start to a solution against anti pushing.

Auto SS was one of the best additions that Olaf created; most cheats could no longer slip through the cracks. He really should join the staff here. He doesn't even have to shut down xwis as he can work with both servers if he wants... the stubborn man. :P

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

Auto SS was one of the best additions that Olaf created; most cheats could no longer slip through the cracks. He really should join the staff here. He doesn't even have to shut down xwis as he can work with both servers if he wants... the stubborn man. :P

That's just it. Olaf is an old, stubborn fool set in his ways. He's like your grandpa that insists his old techniques are better than the new refined ways. He wouldn't be much help.

Edited by FlyingMustache
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Andy. said:

How exactly would auto SS prevent pushing? ?

Before the auto-ss, pushers could just build several buildings and units (just to have something to show on the ladder stats) then have one person destroy everything while his 'enemy' goes out for a cigarette. With the auto-ss in place, they would actually have to play half decently in order to make the screen shots believable. So although it wouldn't completely prevent it, it will help minimize it.

(For those who didn't come from xwis and don't know what the auto-ss is: it is a tool that randomly takes screenshots of each and every ranked game on the xwis server, then uploads them at the end of each match for everyone to see).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fir3w0rx said:

Before the auto-ss, pushers could just build several buildings and units (just to have something to show on the ladder stats) then have one person destroy everything while his 'enemy' goes out for a cigarette. With the auto-ss in place, they would actually have to play half decently in order to make the screen shots believable. So although it wouldn't completely prevent it, it will help minimize it.

(For those who didn't come from xwis and don't know what the auto-ss is: it is a tool that randomly takes screenshots of each and every ranked game on the xwis server, then uploads them at the end of each match for everyone to see).

I don't think it would prove anything more than the stats do already, but I'm down for random SS during QM.

2 hours ago, Andy. said:

How exactly would auto SS prevent pushing? ?

It would be a start. Also a daily or monthly limit ( of points that count) against each nick is another start. I know people can make more but again it’s adding more layers.

10 hours ago, Reano said:

It would be a start. Also a daily or monthly limit ( of points that count) against each nick is another start. I know people can make more but again it’s adding more layers.

I'm fine with this too but it will just make the last week of the ladder completely inactive since all the top players will have already played eachother all month. If someone is good enough to get points to match you they should be able to play you at all times imo, these random people who don't even play the game shouldn't be able to decide who you can play against.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of putting limits on games played. If there was an active player base of 500 or 1000 then sure, by all means -- spread the games around, but there's only like 50 of us actively playing here. Need all the games we can get with each other.

Auto ss = anti maphack. Wouldn't help with pushing at all unless they're dumb enough to type "haha thanks for the free wins". Short of an admission, there's almost never been 100% proof of pushing. But players can tell pretty clearly when there is a push. And historically admins could also. But not on cncnet =]

Luckily, I don't think most players would think to do that anyways. The laming/yuri thing is more what's keeping many of the ra2 players away from QM. Not sure what the solution would be with Yuri. Maybe allow them to reject playing vs Yuri but give some incentive like double the pts if you beat Yuri? IDK rly

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2018 at 9:48 PM, VWWWWWWWWWWW said:

Not sure what the solution would be with Yuri. 

Simplest solution would be to remove yuri from QM...but you cant have yuris revenge without yuri.... So how bout if you choose yuri the game will be unranked? Or you are not eligible to win points but ur opponent is etc. Something like that?  Also, laming could easily be fixed as well. Just have the no dog engineer kills + the multi engineer options turned on.