SHP Error

I'm getting an error after modifying the 3tnk.shp: "warning open source shp builder 3.36 is unable to open this file" even if I rename the file I get the same error. What's the fix to this?

Untitled.jpg.59312dedfcac481b3d8e5f95a4b2f49b.jpg

UPDATE: seems that new RA1 type shp causes this.

UPDATE 2: I found the cause, using the ellipse tool seems to break theRA1 type .shp for some reason.

Edited by CnCRedAlertFan

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, Nyerguds said:

Um. There is no such thing as a "new RA1 type shp". The SHP format of C&C1 and RA1 is identical. SHP Builder has always had a tendency to corrupt C&C1-type SHP files, though...

Try using Engie File Converter?

Ah didn't know that RA1/C&C1 used an alternative to SHP Builder.

Ok I tried it out and it's weird. It doesn't use the correct color, and the only colors i see available are: grayscale, heights and rainbow. Also it has no tools for editing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not an editor. As the name clearly says, it's a file converter.

As for the colours... SHP files don't have colours. If you want colours, you just need to add them yourself.

It's not exactly hard. Open an image that has a 256-colour palette, click the "Save" button next to the greyed out "inbuilt palette" dropdown, open the dropdown with palettes and select the "Create new..." at the bottom, give a name, and save it.

Or just, y'know... drop a C&C palette into the program's folder. I got a set of editing palettes handy. Engie will read the ????conv.pal ones ;)

Mind you, you can just edit your file in SHP editor, save it as TS SHP, and use Engie to convert that to TD/RA1 SHP afterwards. That should work fine. Doesn't even matter if you can't view it in the correct colours; as I said, SHP doesn't save colours anyway.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, Nyerguds said:

Well, it's not an editor. As the name clearly says, it's a file converter.

As for the colours... SHP files don't have colours. If you want colours, you just need to add them yourself.

It's not exactly hard. Open an image that has a 256-colour palette, click the "Save" button next to the greyed out "inbuilt palette" dropdown, open the dropdown with palettes and select the "Create new..." at the bottom, give a name, and save it.

Or just, y'know... drop a C&C palette into the program's folder. I got a set of editing palettes handy. Engie will read the ????conv.pal ones ;)

Mind you, you can just edit your file in SHP editor, save it as TS SHP, and use Engie to convert that to TD/RA1 SHP afterwards. That should work fine. Doesn't even matter if you can't view it in the correct colours; as I said, SHP doesn't save colours anyway.

Umm i guess you didn't read the Update2 where I said that the Elipse tool was corrupting the file. Engie can't open the corrupted files. I assumed you were suggesting Engie as an alternative, despite the name, to the properties of editing. Also, I see no TD/RA1 SHP option when i select Save file...when selecting frame -1 I see TS Shape File and C&C1 Shape File.

I have have simply been doing my edits in SHP without using the Elipse tool and the file saves correctly.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, CnCRedAlertFan said:

Umm i guess you didn't read the Update2 where I said that the Elipse tool was corrupting the file.

No, you said the ellipse tool was breaking the RA1 type .shp. So I suggested using TS type shp in OS SHP Editor instead, and converting that to TD shp with Engie afterwards ?

On 8/14/2019 at 4:53 AM, Nyerguds said:

No, you said the ellipse tool was breaking the RA1 type .shp. So I suggested using TS type shp in OS SHP Editor instead, and converting that to TD shp with Engie afterwards ?

I was obviously talking about TD, what else would I mean? I don't see a way to save in TD in Engie. I have been tinkering around with SHP and found out that creating a new SHP file I can do anything (change palette, use tools, save in TS then in TD) and the file won't break. Meanwhile using the 3tnk.shp (heavy tank) the SHP file will corrupt if i do anything besides use the Draw tool or replace colors.

Update: I tried again editing 3tnk.shp, but this time i saved in TS first, after using tools etc., and then reopened and saved in TD as a new file 31tnk.shp , also after using tools and i got no issues! I then used tools etc. and saved in 3tnk.shp, tried various things and the file wasn't getting corrupted. This is so weird...I can't trust it.

Edited by CnCRedAlertFan

• 3 weeks later...