CnCNet 5 suggestions

Iran

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

helicarriers are completely useless. It takes ages to build the helis to fill them, and takes ages to get them launched one by one :P

As for these other unused AM units, my main point is that it'd mess up the whole game balance. Not something to do in a general patch. It'd inevitably piss off people used to the normal game balance.

I don't agree that it would be like adding ants. Ants would be pretty useless anyway and what would build them?

Are you kidding? those things are scary! Basically the only thing that takes em out efficiently are grenadiers, mines and pillboxes, and they chew up pillboxes in seconds.  O_o

Yeeah, that's an odd statement. Game balance changes with EVERY addition. Balance isn't just balance between SIDES, it's balance between units, and the whole rock-paper-scissor theory.

For example, even when adding the same new unit to both sides (not specific to the Phase Tank, now), you could very well be adding something that one of the two sides has a decent counter against already, but the other side doesn't, which would make one side helpless because of the addition. Balance isn't as easy as you think.

Ok maybe ants would be useful in combination with units that can damage walls... Only ever played ai ants...

I still think it would be fun- pros don't seem to play aftermath much anyway. I'm not suggesting to make it compulsory so why would it piss people off? Less annoying than finding you're on a modded map and nobody knew IMO... Everyone can see the check boxes before the game starts.

For the sake of completeness?? Covering what can be done? But ok- maybe I just need to know how to mod a map...

Other ideas:  indicators next to the map preview that show if the map is rules modified and if it has automatic gps-things like that.

I'm not suggesting to make it compulsory so why would it piss people off?

Then it's just a mod, so, why should it have to be be considered official part of cncnet? Go and make it, and have fun with it?

btw, FunkyFr3sh, not sure how it's detected/shown now, but wouldn't it be possible to just put a [mod] prefix before any map in the list that has changes in unit stats and such? I'm not talking about country changes; those are generally just used for cheating, but unit and building entries should be easy to detect as separate logic.

For ease of use. If it is available then more people can try it easily. You could never play an aftermath game before cncnet 5 even if you wanted to. These two units were created by Westwood themselves so I would see it more as enabling a feature rather than a mod. I thought that as cncnet 5 gets past the rules compatibility barrier for aftermath it could be cool to make further use of that. So you could even go much further and have a box for custom rules files with previews of the differences. Or have a 5 slot rules edit box. So if someone just felt like altering one unit for one game for fun, then it could just be not too big a deal to do it and it wouldn't have to be a big deeply thought-out complete mod for people to be prepared to try it and know what was going on. But I don't know- maybe I don't get it...

@Nyer: currently it looks like this (it will tell you about possible cheats if there is any setting changed which could give one faction an advantage while the other players wont have any advantages)

map-info.png

@Penguinman: there will be a feature like this, people can create their own full rules.ini mods and the game client will merge the rules and the map right before the game starts ... but i dunno when it will be added

Heck, phase tanks are STEALTH APCs. Can you imagine the Tanya rushes with these things involved?

I have to agree with Nyerguds here. Also don't forget to estimate how much fun a new unit adds to the game, because after all that is somehow the most important when designing a good overall experience. A very powerful strategy like dropping super heroes with fast invisible vehicles that you can't defend against can lead to frustration. Phase transports is something even we (the guys that are destroying the retro Red Alert experience TM) have not touched yet, although all technical prerequisites have already been implemented. That unit seems to have been created for single player only.

Hey guys, good work with Cncnet 5. I never would of imagined a client like this. Major difference from Cncnet 4. I got a suggestion for you guys, theres a lot of newbies aborting and messing up the game for everyone. You should make an option where the host can pick that if anyone aborts it makes them resign instead and destroying there base. Because the computer messes up the game it builds like 3 warfactories at one time. And starts mass building and killing. This is would be a major fix to the newbies aborting problem. It's really annoying to the pros and everyone in the Red Alert 1 community.

Thanks,

[AT]Madtrooper

Hi. Loving CnCNet 5, and been a huge fan of C&C since it kicked off when I was 6! :D. I hope that I'm not repeating a suggestion, but, I have one. Would it be possible at all to have a 1v1 'Quick Match'? Because I think a lot of players would gain from it; learn new tactics and so on. Also, if you can have some sort of ranked number system like they had on RA2 back when the servers were running, that would be pretty brilliant too. Anyway, keep up the awesome work guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Please do not allow modifications or alterations beyond the original design of the game RA(1.00, in spirit)

Modifications and game alterations belong on openRA, as it is designed for that. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Please do not allow modifications or alterations beyond the original design of the game RA(1.00, in spirit)

Modifications and game alterations belong on openRA, as it is designed for that. Thanks.

There was never a public 1.00. The first version of RA was 1.04.