CnCNet 5 suggestions

Iran

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could tcping be added?

It lets you ping ports rather than use ICMP which is good when ICMP is blocked.

Also could ping times show up when people join your games and show up in either green yellow or red text depending on the amount of ping there is?

That would be much better than the current very good, good or bad connection text.

Tunnel's should be automatically pinged rather than show distance too.

Yeah sadly games like COD have made it okay to make online gaming more user friendly and just show ping bars like cellphone reception is shown.

Before you know it CnCNet 6 will be out with match making.

i dont think there is a need for weird tcp pings :D

the connection test is just a ping test, but since many people have no clue what ping is good and what not i had to turn it into words

it does 4 pings, compares the lowest and the highest ping and if the difference is below 5 then it shows "Very Good", below 20 it shows "Good", below 50 it shows "Bad" and above it shows "Very Bad"

if the result is "Bad" or "Very Bad" then it repeats the test using a different server just to make sure the it was really the connection of the player which was bad and not the server!

once you tick the anti lag option in the new game dialog it will ping all servers and it will force the players that like to join to ping the server as well and the connection must be Good (below 20ms difference) and of cource lower than the chosen max ping

So the connection quality is based on how much difference the delay is between the 4 pings it does to the IP?

I thought it would be based on the ping but I guess your way would show if there are any spikes.

Max ping should never be over 350 though being dial-up's dead now.

You can't compare RTS games from the 90s with modern FPS. I don't know at which rate the original Westwood games tick, but I guess you can get ~3x the network tick (probably 100 ms) before you notice any delays in the game whose logic might tick slightly faster. TL;DR playing with NZ and US people from Europe with pings around 300 ms should be no problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, great job with CnCNet. Really like what you've done. I admit I only played 2-3 games so far, but I have enjoyed my experience so far. A couple of small suggestions...

1. 'Leave game' button in game lobby should really be on the LEFT hand side, with 'Accept / Ready' on the RIGHT. At the moment these buttons are counter intuitive as the standard for user interface is for backwards (left) and forwards (right).

2. Currently there is a way to see the main lobby from within the game lobby. Is it also possible to see the other games that are up?

Thanks,

Mike

1. Not sure if it would be a good idea to change that now after all the long time people been using it like this, would for sure be very confusing for the most players :D

2. Its causing too much traffic, thats why the list is off while people are in a game room/playing/away

• 1 month later...

It is a possible bring back screen shake for offline skirmishes at least? I know I can use old in-game skirmish menu, BUT its not showing 500+ sorted maps which stored in cncnet5 folders. Also there is not possible start "skirmish" mode in cnc95 with cncnet5. Just these two requests.

It is a possible bring back screen shake for offline skirmishes at least? I know I can use old in-game skirmish menu, BUT its not showing 500+ sorted maps which stored in cncnet5 folders. Also there is not possible start "skirmish" mode in cnc95 with cncnet5. Just these two requests.

yes, i can enable the screen shake for skirmish on the next update

AI players are sadly not supported for cnc95, not sure if they will be added in the future cause they cannot build anyways :(

Auto-away sucks. Option to turn it off or at least set a longer timer?

It is set to 5minutes, thats a pretty long time :D If someone didnt move the mouse and didnt pressed any keyboard keys for that long he is for sure away! It has been added to reduce the network traffic, getting the channel list over and over is causing the most traffic on cncnet5

I understand it's meant as a traffic reducing feature, but the fact that it only acknowledges clicks/button presses in the client itself makes people miss out on potential games. F. ex., I might very well not be away, but working on something in another window, just waiting for a game to pop up, but I won't hear it being opened because of auto-away. In the end, when I'm in this limbo state of playing and not playing, I will check the client every couple of minutes, which a) basically creates the same traffic as if there was no auto-away and b) is slightly frustrating for me. And I only say 'slightly' because I'm used to this sort of thing (by having multiple e-mails and organiation software accounts that I use for my work and I have to check almost constantly). So, if traffic is the biggest problem with the games list, maybe there can be some sort of workaraund? Possibly a bleep that will play when a game (or any game) is formed, regardless of whether you're away or not (i. e., client won't refresh the games list, only acknowledge there's a new one there)?

I understand it's meant as a traffic reducing feature, but the fact that it only acknowledges clicks/button presses in the client itself makes people miss out on potential games.

Actually, if it acknowledges mouse movement (which Funky just said it did) then that's perfectly reasonable. It would mean that to be considered away you either got another window maximized over it, minimized it, have a fullscreen game running, or something else like that. Either way, if your mouse never even accidentally hovers over the cncnet screen, you probably don't have it anywhere you're looking at it.

The mouse movement listener in Windows only catches mouse movements going over the window, yes, but it doesn't even require you to select it.

Yes, Nyer, my word processor, browser, etc. are usually on top and maximized, writing in a window is quite a bitch to handle. I'll keep that in mind about mouseover though, but I have to wonder whether in Windows 8 it also tracks movement over the small 'effigy' window that appears when you scroll over the taskbar icon... Time to try it out I guess.

EDIT: I did some tests and no, you can't just scroll over the window in the background. It has to be active, i. e. clicked on to keep you away from the away status.

i forgot to add, the client also checks if you minimize/maximize the window :D So either that or mouse move/key press

Why dont you just host a game if you are waiting for someone to play? inside of a game room you cannot go into away state, all sounds will be on and you can hear if someone joins :)

• 3 weeks later...

I asked ages back, right when CnCnet5 was first released, about adding support for ARDA. It's kinda understandable that you don't want to add specific support for it.

However, as it stands, anyone who hacks the exe cannot use CnCnet5 at all for their mod.

Could extra slots be added for people to add their OWN exe files to, so they can start up mods and play with others which also have the mod? CnCnet5 would only have to check if the exe files were the same, and if yes, then the games of that exe will show up on anyone elses game list who also has that exe registered in the settings.

What do you think? :P

-Liam

you can use your own .exe, not sure if i remember the name of the key correctly but try this:

RedAlertExecutable=ra95-mod.exe

it does compare the .exe files :)

using this key also means that the updater will never update this file again, so you have to take care of the updates on your own!