How do I get SoleSurvivor

bigfatminer

Sole Survivor is C&C's unwanted child that was kept in the basement. It wasn't even included in any of the packaged releases like "The First Decade" or "The C&C Collection"!

But in all fairness, it was released at a bad time. Unlike other C&C games, It was made solely for online play at a time when people didn't even know what "online" meant :D Had it been released when the internet was in every household (and also with better advertising) we would have seen expansions of it, maybe even another C&C universe!

It is an online game, but there is no server for it, so you cannot really play anymore these days :( Maybe one day there will be a server again, so you'll have to wait

I only know little about programming, let alone making a server, but to me Sole Survivor looks like a mod of Tiberian Dawn. Wouldn't that make the server for both games somewhat similar?

I don't know how to get this game/mod. I want to play it but I have no idea how to.

I don't think you can get it brand new anymore, but you can still get it second hand from ebay or Amazon.com, and probably other online retailers. Once you do get it though, your next problem begins... getting it to work!

If you can't be bothered going through all that hassle, another option would be to play "Dawn of the Tiberium Age" in "Survivor" mode. You can't choose specific units like dinosaurs or whatever, or see your specific upgrades at the top of the screen, or die and keep respawning until the time runs out, or just about any other features for that matter :D, but it's the closest you can get to playing Sole Survivor Online.

I only know little about programming, let alone making a server, but to me Sole Survivor looks like a mod of Tiberian Dawn. Wouldn't that make the server for both games somewhat similar?

Not really. C&C's multiplayer is peer-to-peer; you connect to other players directly. No server is needed, except maybe for matchmaking. SS has a server that people can actually join and leave, akin to FPS game servers.

Aside from the very different networking architecture, you are correct, SS is pretty much just a mod of C&C and in terms of content there is very little new apart from a few unit icons, create powerup animations and a new sound track. Most of the mix files are 1 to 1 duplicates of the C&C dos versions.

yeah, you wouldn't really host a complete server for 2 or 3 players for C&C, it wouldn't make sense.

Having said all of that, CnCnets current tunnel server system *could* work really well for Sole Survivor.

*I say *could* I don't actually know how any of it works, nor how getting a sole survivor server to work either

All of the tracks in Sole Survivor are also found in the Playstation version of Red Alert's expansion packs; Red Alert: Retaliation. The Sole Survivor CD is the only way to get them in CD audio quality though :)

As for SS Server, some research unearthed a "server mode" hidden inside the game itself, but actually getting it working correctly, and somehow making players connect to it,  is apparently not easy.

All of the tracks in Sole Survivor are also found in the Playstation version of Red Alert's expansion packs; Red Alert: Retaliation. The Sole Survivor CD is the only way to get them in CD audio quality though :)

I don't think I ever did find this CD :(

I have the music from the expansions ripped from some game soundtrack site, and I know that at least 3 tracks go fuzzy halfway through...

It's not a long list... they sadly didn't do much of that. The Sega Saturn music has most of the C&C1 music (including tracks not on the soundtrack CD) as CD audio, the Covert Ops contains all its music as CD audio, and the RA expansion CDs both contain the same Counterstrike music, but the version of Voice Rhythm 2 on it has an error which Frank only fixed much later, in his online jukebox, so there is no true CD quality version of that (and the ingame version is wrong as well). Besides the official soundtracks, and the aforementioned Sole Survivor CD audio, that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be willing to pitch in with audio mastering old C&C sound tracks as I have a full version of FL Studio 11 Producers Edition. Old rips from game files and game recordings can be done but you'd have to bare with me as I wouldn't want to release something half arsed and not properly done. They would be to CD/download quality afterwards or at least as close as I could possibly get them.

EQing, compressing, limiting and waveshaping can only get a turd polished so much unfortunately (talking about sound quality not the actual track when I say "turd").

• 2 months later...

Downloaded your music pack Nyer. Might use a few of the remixes in my mod. :cncsmirk:

Can anybody with good ears tell me what's being said in Crush (SS Remix) and Hell March (SS Remix)?

Or failing that, anybody know where to get non-sample versions of those tracks?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
35 minutes ago, SnowAS said:

We have a rough, but playable, version of this back up and being worked on with online play. Let me know if anyone is interested in getting involved! 

Maybe you should leave some more info, are you working on a server for sole survivor? Or do you create a new game that's inspired by sole survivor? Or do you work on a mod for another game engine that is themed to look like sole survivor?

• 4 months later...