Alternate Nod Flame Tank Render

sgtmyers88

While browsing the image gallery for C&C1 I came across a high quality render of the original Nod Flame Tank. Considering all the renders make it appear to be a GDI unit with the golden color scheme I did some quick edits in Photoshop and made it look screen accurate to the in-game unit. I wasn't sure if anyone had done this so here it is if anyone wants it. I did this as I am using it as a new button icon for the respective unit in the Tiberian Dawn Redux Mod.

EDIT: Yes I know it was used for "propaganda" against GDI in the cutscene but there was never any color corrected renders of the vehicle for Nod unlike other units such as the Light Tank (M2 Bradley) which appeared as both a GDI and Nod unit.

Perhaps it can be worked in as a replacement button icon for the Flame Tank in C&C v1.06c?

P.S. Thanks Nyerguds for keeping the image database up and running. It has proven to be an invaluable image library for C&C1 over the years. :)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-tiberian-dawn-redux

nodflametankrender.png.e1cee1f9ce6f3fb666d52386fc11cc41.png

Cockpit colour shouldn't be changed, actually; it's not decorative/camouflage paint, it's special heat-shielding glass.

Actually, the reason why the Flame Tank renders are yellow is slightly more unnerving:

In beta footage of the game, it is seen as GDI unit  :huh:

That is a cruel way in defeating the enemy for an "UN" kind of army. Would the thought behind it being that of getting rid of tiberian at one point?

In video's, you see flamethrowers fighting the tiberian. Yet, it is indeed hard to imagine NOD doing that kind of thing.

Nice render though.

That is a cruel way in defeating the enemy for an "UN" kind of army. Would the thought behind it being that of getting rid of tiberian at one point?

In video's, you see flamethrowers fighting the tiberian. Yet, it is indeed hard to imagine NOD doing that kind of thing.

Nice render though.

Don't forget that GDI uses napalm bombs with their A-10's :P

I think like most video games it would go through stages of brainstorming ideas for both factions etc; perhaps the GDI had the Flametank when NOD had the Microwave Tank. I meen the A10's do drop napalm; so its not like GDI don't use flame weapons.

I think its more they created the units (and some of the cutscenes) before they balanced the two factions.

If you've seen some of the Beta images then you can be sure that a whole lot of stuff they had put together got shuffled quite a lot for game balance

... when NOD had the Microwave Tank....

you mean the Disruptor Tank from Tiberian Sun?

Nope.

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/MGT-1A_microwave_gun_tank

250?cb=20100214225108

haha I actually brought that unit to life in the TDR Mod. With some differences.

nodmicrowavetank.png

The only other known reference to it is a 20 second cutscene showing two GDI tanks getting hit by a beam and getting disabled

Interesting! :cncsmirk:

It's cut content so it's non-canon but it's a pretty interesting concept :) In retrospect if they added it it would have made the progression from Soviet --> Nod make more sense, haha.

Cut or not, drawn by WW, with its own CGI trailer the technology is good enough to be canon. Especially with http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Volt_auto_rifle turning up in Renegade, being used by NOD.

Most of the rest of the cut-content ended up in Tib Sun in one form or another.

X-O Powersuit > Wolverine

Cyber Grunt > Cyborg

Aero Pack > Jump Jet Infantry

VTOL heavy transport > Orca Carryall

etc

... when NOD had the Microwave Tank....

you mean the Disruptor Tank from Tiberian Sun?

Nope.

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/MGT-1A_microwave_gun_tank

250?cb=20100214225108

haha I actually brought that unit to life in the TDR Mod. With some differences.

nodmicrowavetank.png

The only other known reference to it is a 20 second cutscene showing two GDI tanks getting hit by a beam and getting disabled

Nice, I like the changes you made, does it work like a tesla tank in your mod?

If the vehicles get exposed to the beam long enough it "kills" the crew allowing the enemy vehicle to be hijacked. If anyone is familiar with C&C Generals I recycled the Jarmen Kell Vehicle Snipe logic to make this work.

Also the XO Powersuit is available as well but its expensive and requires the Adv. Comm Center which usually wont be available until late in the game.

• 2 weeks later...