Command and Conquer Oddities.

CRITAWAKETS

There are some oddities in the command and conquer games... like every game ever.

Please say the oddity from what game it originates or it will be a bit confusing,include expansion packs if needed.

Red Alert 1

Tanya Adams is buildable by the soviets even if she is with the allies. This may have been actually another character like volkov or the cut megan.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heh, Tanya is weird character. in the RA2 you can build thousands of Tanyas in mp, what's the point? Isn't she identical to already existed seals?

you ask what is weird? 640x400 is weird. I understand why it existed in the first place, but why it still exist in dune 2000? it has no dos support (not to say that even in 1995 dos had support of VEAS modes), so what is the point? And more weird is that some parts of the game were drawn at 1:1 pixel scale, while others are not.

you ask what is weird? 640x400 is weird. I understand why it existed in the first place, but why it still exist in dune 2000? it has no dos support (not to say that even in 1995 dos had support of VEAS modes), so what is the point? And more weird is that some parts of the game were drawn at 1:1 pixel scale, while others are not.

640x400 isn't really used on computers, never was (AFAIK). The majority of computers in 2000 ran 800x600. There was still a lot of people that had 640x480 monitors though. You can't just magically turn up the resolution if your monitor doesn't support it. What makes you think 640x480 is not a VESA mode?

You know what I find weird? 1920x1080 - I mean who the **** would use that on a computer and why (other than to save a couple of bucks)?

640x400 isn't really used on computers, never was (AFAIK). The majority of computers in 2000 ran 800x600. There was still a lot of people that had 640x480 monitors though. You can't just magically turn up the resolution if your monitor doesn't support it. What makes you think 640x480 is not a VESA mode?

well, it is, no problems here. the problems in lazyness of westwood. 640x400 is just doubled 320x200, old days standard. it was easier to do C&C95 and RA95 in 640x400 than to do a proper 640x480 port, anyway it will be stretched properly on CRTs to full screen. but why they did that weird thing another time with a dune 2000, while they could just do it strait 640x480? no need to rely on stretching. no messing up with proportions. what we get in the end is a combination of 1:1 interface and scaled battlefield or vise versa

Well, the title is pretty vague so I'm not sure if gameplay oddities count, but I've always found it odd, not to mention annoying, that infantry units in all the C&C games and just about every other rts, have to stop to shoot. They stop to shoot with no cover while they're being shot at... ??? wtf. Vehicles can fire while moving, why can't infantry?

Well, the title is pretty vague so I'm not sure if gameplay oddities count, but I've always found it odd, not to mention annoying, that infantry units in all the C&C games and just about every other rts, have to stop to shoot. They stop to shoot with no cover while they're being shot at... ??? wtf. Vehicles can fire while moving, why can't infantry?

I'm pretty sure that's something only Rambo can do (he's on steroids).  :D

Try to fire an assault rifle while running and hit your target.

I'm pretty sure that's something only Rambo can do (he's on steroids).  :D

Try to fire an assault rifle while running and hit your target.

I get your point, but how come even Commando (from Tiberian Dawn) and Tanya can't do it? They should at least have the option. The only infantry that make sense to stop and shoot are RA2's GI and GGI because of the sandbags that magically appear around them every time they kneel :D, or TD's bazooka joes or something like that. But infantry with guns should have the option: stop and shoot with accuracy, or move while shooting with less accuracy.

aren't they do it in generals?

Which units? (I haven't played Generals in a while).

640x400 has always been just a leftover from DOS. They started using it because the graphics for C&C1 and RA1 were all rendered for 320x200-seen-as-320x240 on crt monitors with 6/5th height pixels.

Dune 2000, though... I have no clue. That game wasn't even made by Westwood itself.

I get your point, but how come even Commando (from Tiberian Dawn) and Tanya can't do it?

The C&C1 commando has a sniper rifle. In most FPS games, you can't even fire those properly without looking through the scope (plenty of games give you no crosshair at all, since the rifle's only crosshair is the scope), and you'd try firing that while running? :dry:

The C&C1 commando has a sniper rifle. In most FPS games, you can't even fire those properly without looking through the scope (plenty of games give you no crosshair at all, since the rifle's only crosshair is the scope), and you'd try firing that while running? :dry:

Have you ever played Call Of Duty?

What, you're saying some games being stupidly unrealistic about it is an excuse? :P

Try it with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You'll see what I mean.

I was joking.

And Yes I know EXACTLY what you mean about Deus Ex (it was a pretty awesome game)

WHAT??? For 20 years I've thought that he was just one accurate mofo :D

Lol, the game is almost as old as me!

Not all tanks can fire while driving either. In RA2 only rhinos, war miners and grizzlys can fire while driving. In YR also lashers, gattling tanks and the overpowered allied battle fortress.  :dry:

What I find weird is, Tanya has 1 shot kills using her 2 pistols. Whereas you need like 20 GIs/conscripts with their rifles to even get close and take a shot at her. Unrealistic.

Soviet isn't my race. I'm Yugoslav. I'm not even sure Tanya costs $1200, it might just be $1000. I haven't played in 5 years...

Terror Drones? 2 x 550 < 1200

True, the difference is 100. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2+x+550+%3C+1200

Flak Tracks? 2 x 500 < 1200

True, the difference is 200. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2+x+500+%3C+1200

I noted early in this topic, Who the **** plays 1920 x 1080. Well, me :)

And this is normal where I live.

Although, the C&C games actually make everything smaller when you set to "higher" settings. And then 1920 x 1080 is uncomfortable.

Other games? Well, I like high detail. And my machine runs it properly. My favourite game with this setting is call of duty.

Running around with a sniper? In the picture, you see him holding a shotgun with pump action. I suppose this is the slug type shot gun. With the longest range of all shot guns. You run around, and need a superior aim.

Yes, but like most weapons mentioned in the manual I believe it was intentionally nonexistent.

J269702.png

There are in fact sniper rifles, like the Barrett M82, that use .50 cal ammunition, but it seems that huge calibre is specifically to make them useful as anti-materiel as well, which the Commando in C&C1 decidedly isn't :P