Command and Conquer Oddities.

CRITAWAKETS

Nah, any infantry, Nod doesn't have a suicide bomber in DTA. The passenger is mostly useful for carrying rocket infantry with a group of tanks, it's especially nice as a surprise element since people don't expect you to bring infantry in your MBTs. The enemy sees your 6 light tanks and brings 6 medium tanks to kill them, then you unload them and suddenly the medium tanks are getting destroyed by 6 light tanks and 6 rocket infantry.

It's also used for engineer rushing, especially if Multi Engineer is disabled.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would actually have been awesome if the light tank of NOD was an APC as well.

An APC with an cannon instead of a chain gun is still something original in the RTS series.

(hint for the modders out there)

In the Generals TD Redux Mod I did this. Only holds two infantry. (for balancing) Same with the Humm-vee. The AI even does Engineer rushes with them sometimes.

I noticed the comment on the 1st or 2nd page about the Mini-Gunner. Yeah that really got me too since the icon showed the unit holding a generic AR-15 type of assault rifle. This issue got brought up when I was making new cameos for the units a while back. In the mod I was tempted to just rename them Light Infantry like in TS. I wound up just using an image of a soldier holding a LMG as a compromise.

The fact that you could fence the computer in and it does nothing.

didn't they intended to crush sandbags/bwire but never do so?

They did in red alert.

And shooting walls too!

Back then I expected them to program this into C&C 95. But they never did.

Straightforward bugs are not "game oddities" -_-

Also, remember my Rule #1 of playing old games. They added crushable sandbags and walls you can't build from in RA exactly because of the problems they got with those things in C&C1. That's just improvement of the next generation, nothing else. Doesn't mean they have to go back and patch those same things into C&C1; they had a new game to focus on.

How about finally isolating the enemy HQ and then sending ONE unit in with your MCV to start with? Probably the same GDI strategist who deisgned their weapons factory  :roll:

They did this in RA too, because for some reason they couldn't give you more than 1800 cash.....

Straightforward bugs are not "game oddities" -_-

Also, remember my Rule #1 of playing old games. They added crushable sandbags and walls you can't build from in RA exactly because of the problems they got with those things in C&C1. That's just improvement of the next generation, nothing else. Doesn't mean they have to go back and patch those same things into C&C1; they had a new game to focus on.

Straightforward bugs and oversights are not "future game features" too.

btw i'd rather have features from newer games than gamebreaking ones. for example right click on minimap to center screen on that spot over 9000x9000 resolution that makes minimap useless and benefits players with large screens

I know Bradley AFVs can carry infantry and how they didn't include this ability in TD. They just limit every unit to have fewer roles in the game than how would the unit act in real world or even in the cutscenes. Otherwise, we would be seeing Nod Apaches firing rockets and Orcas dodging SAMs or even APCs driving over chain-link fences.

Straightforward bugs and oversights are not "future game features" too.

I'm not sure what you mean with that. If you're doing major revisions on the game engine anyway, those seem like the obvious thing to fix for the next game. Doesn't mean they had time to patch those same changes into the older C&C1 code. So in that aspect, yes, yes they are features of the new game that the old one didn't have, and playing the old game means accepting that in the old game, they're part of the era and part of the charm :P

I mean, the AI not destroying sandbags isn't a bug per se; it's just something they weren't programmed to do. It being exploitable doesn't change that fact.

Rifle Infantry

Light Infantry

Minigunner

Minigun Infantry

Rifle Men

I have seen these 5 names for the exact same unit. Although, I think that the Rifle names are from RA. The other 3 are certainly seen by me in TD.

If you're doing major revisions on the game engine anyway, those seem like the obvious thing to fix for the next game.

many game developers backport features from their newer games to older ones, like with Doom/Doom2 (engine updates), Quake/Quake2 (OpenGL renderer), Warcraft2/Starcraft (Windows support, Battle.net support, right-click action, production queuing and much much more features from SC) Half-Life/Half-Life2 (Source engine) and much more. Heck, even westwood did that with C&C/RA - windows port, higher resolution! they just forget/were too lazy to fix stuff they knew need to be fixed

If you're doing major revisions on the game engine anyway, those seem like the obvious thing to fix for the next game.

many game developers backport features from their newer games to older ones, like with Doom/Doom2 (engine updates), Quake/Quake2 (OpenGL renderer), Warcraft2/Starcraft (Windows support, Battle.net support, right-click action, production queuing and much much more features from SC) Half-Life/Half-Life2 (Source engine) and much more. Heck, even westwood did that with C&C/RA - windows port, higher resolution! they just forget/were too lazy to fix stuff they knew need to be fixed

Don't forget the unreal engine. When that one was ported back to the original Unreal. Awesome improvements where seen in the game.

Warcraft2/Starcraft (Windows support, Battle.net support, right-click action, production queuing and much much more features from SC)

You got your facts slightly skewed there. Right click action and production queueing have always been in WC2. The only actual new feature in the battle.net edition, besides Windows support itself and the online play, was the food counter shown on the game's UI. And when they implemented right click support and production queueing in WC2 they didn't go back to WC1 and release a patch to add it there, either.

Heck, even westwood did that with C&C/RA - windows port, higher resolution! they just forget/were too lazy to fix stuff they knew need to be fixed

Not really. They kept the original game engine exactly like it was, and only changed the graphics engine. They also never released more patches for the DOS version after releasing C&C95, and the original release of C&C95 is compatible in LAN with the DOS version. Seems like a conscious decision to me.

sorry, my mistake about rightclick. in terms of controls they added radar events, assigning team numbers, ctrl+click to select all of the type.

and I just checked up, there were no quing in both of them  :laugh:

BTW it was also back compatible with dos W2, so no differences here. here is more detailed changes list

Ability for up to eight players to compete over Battle.net using "Spawning" technology from one CD.

Automatic map passing over Battle.net.

Implementation of Top vs. Bottom multi-player template.

Shared Vision in multi-player games.

Improved game set-up, game options, dropping of players and inclusion of Battle.net chat.

Game speed is set prior to a Battle.net game beginning, and cannot be changed.

Incorporation of the 3 Pauses per player/per game rule.

Assigning and selection of Groups through # keys.

Ability to choose Random starting race, resources and tileset.

Attack Move command will now function correctly.

Patrol command now sends units to the selected location rather than stopping after any contact.

Set maps and game parameters for Ladder Games.

Ctrl+click or double-click will select closest 9 units of that type currently on the screen.

Space bar centers the map on last 8 transmissions (sequential).

Current food displayed along with gold/oil/lumber.

Maintained compatibility with the DOS version of Warcraft II via local area network or modem.

Unit limit raised from 600 to 1,200 for Enhanced games.

Upper limit of 200 food for each player, like StarCraft.

Mining out an oil rig completely no longer returns a small amount of lumber and gold to the player.

Flying Machines, Goblin Zeppelins, Goblin Sappers, Demolition Squads now have a Patrol option.

Canceling Foundries no longer uses all of the oil you spent to build it.

Allies can see friendly invisible units now.

Allies' towers and flying units now reveal enemy subs.

Partially-built towers can no longer see Submarines.

Death Coil will no longer damage allies.

New sounds have been added for Skeletons, Runes, Eye of Kilrogg, and for completed upgrades.

First Town Hall/Great Hall now build at the speed of a Farm. All other Town Halls/Great Halls build at the normal rate.

You can now take 1,000 screenshots instead of just 100.

Support for two new game speeds (Slowest and Faster).

oh, and they raised sound quality

anyway, I don't get your point. You say to play the games as it was. So what the purpose of all that pathces you and other good people did? patches that not only fix bugs but also adding significant features that wastly changes the gameplay

sorry, my mistake about rightclick. in terms of controls they added radar events, assigning team numbers, ctrl+click to select all of the type.

and I just checked up, there were no quing in both of them  :laugh:

Hmm. Yeah, that was selecting up to 9 units I remembered then :S