Command and Conquer Oddities.

CRITAWAKETS

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried googling it. But to no avail. There is no clear correct picture.

.50cal barrett sniper, gives the same picture over and over. I guess this is the one?

But indeed not something to run around with.

Who here knows the correct picture?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82

What the commando holds in the cameo/picture appears to be a much more generic type of infantry rifle. The .50, actually being a mini anti-tank gun, is much longer than that and it's straight, built all around the barrel and its recoil path.

EDIT: oh, and I'm pretty positive that shit can be silenced only in space. But again, basic men are called minigunners... You know what a minigun looks like?

There is no such thing as a "Raptor 50 caliber assault rifle" in real life as the size of 50 caliber rounds are simply too large to be viable as a round used in assault riles. Not to mention the gun would be large and cumbersome.

50 caliber rounds are usually used in heavy machine guns and anti-material rifles. In fact the round the Barret M82/M107 rifles use is the 50 caliber BMG. BMG stands for Browning Machine Gun or the M2 Browning as it is also called.   

The weapon the commando holds in that image is a pump action shotgun of some kind. While the ingame weapon is more similar to any kind of sound suppressed semi automatic rifle.

RA1 dogs are far more capable. They could fly through the whole map to eat an infantry. Source: Joe Bostic himself https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/19epje/i_am_joe_bostic_22_year_game_developer_11_years/c8o39zv

Another interesting side effect was that there was a bug such that if a unit was destroyed but a new unit was created just at that same instant and happened to use the same index number as the destroyed unit, a dog "bullet" heading toward the first unit would redirect and head toward the new unit (it had the same index number and so from the bullet's perspective, the target just moved to a new location) and the dog "bullet" would fly across the map to hit the new target. Sometimes in Red Alert you could see a dog just flying across the map like superman!

Well, he's holding it like a pump action and it always looked like that to me too, but I cant really make it out because of, well, you know, pixels.

Let's enhance those pixels with Hollywood magic! Aka just lazily copying it from the C&C95 manual.

commando1.png

(Notice the totally legit cigarette too :P)

Well, he's holding it like a pump action and it always looked like that to me too, but I cant really make it out because of, well, you know, pixels.

Yeeeah... what Tore posted sums it up :P

As I said. Fictional rifle, and quick photo made for C&C95 about a year after the original game, which has no purpose at all except making him look badass.

On the subject of the rifle, though, there are indeed .50 CAL rifles that get used as anti-infantry snipers as well, but it's somewhat akin to using a tank shell to demolish an old shed. Kinda overkill :P

In the older C&Cs, with just ONE click, no questions asked, infantry are brave enough to:

-walk across a tiberium field, even if it kills them

-run solo through the enemy base just to scout

-blow their selves up for Cuba

-run into an enemy base with no weapon whatsoever just to try and capture one of their buildings

-take on an entire army with just a sniper rifle and C4s

-and many other crazy orders that their commander gives them.

BUT... you can click a thousand times and they'll still refuse to go in the water :D

(with the exception of Tanya and the SEALs from RA2).

I wonder if "Raptor" is yet another JP reference.  :yo:

No. Raptor simply means "bird of prey", and is commonly used as designation for weapons and vehicles.

See also, F-22 Raptor.

isn't he said that he have a source?  O_o

Even if he has, then he technically has it illegally. And EA, from what I heard, either lost it, or has it behind a crapton of red tape, so they can't release it. It's a vicious cycle of corporate stupidity.

And EA, from what I heard, either lost it, or has it behind a crapton of red tape, so they can't release it. It's a vicious cycle of corporate stupidity.

Why would they release it? They're still making money from selling RA2. Yes, RA2 is still making money for EA. Hard copies are still selling pretty well.

XWIS gets provision on top of admin/employee salaries for every serial registered to their server, be it a hard copy or a free copy from origin for providing online services.

It's a win-win situation for both EA and XWIS.

Even if he has, then he technically has it illegally. And EA, from what I heard, either lost it, or has it behind a crapton of red tape, so they can't release it. It's a vicious cycle of corporate stupidity.

so why don't try to cooperate? if EA lost it, why not provide them with it and ask for release? ofk they can refuse, but it's worth trying

at least you can try secretly ask for it directly from Joe, maybe he'll understand your motivation and appreciate your work