Yuri vs Sov dune patrol, what's the counter to deso's?

sunny

Ok, I have been using yuri at since 2005 on xwis QM and have beaten every sov around but sometimes there is a huge problem. There is nothing yuri can really do to counter a deso on Dune patrol when they walk them to your slaves. He doesn't have to risk rushing to beat you because he can cripple your eco enough to play the late game with iron curtain. The desos always ends up melting a few slaves messing up your eco. In the start of the game he will even send a few dogs at the slaves to screw up you eco even further. If you make a chaos drone it will get droned by a terror drone. Then you might try to shoot the deso with your slave miner and you will lose time + money. Then you might even move the miner to another patch and that will make you hit 0 a few times. A virus usually will die to a deso if it goes further than 1 square of radiation and 1 gatling is basically a trade off to kill 1 deso. It ends up in red health and get destroyed so you will end up getting a coupe of gatling bunkers or more if you're desperate and this takes a toll on your economy meaning your dominator will be up late. While the sov is doing this to your slaves he is keeping you on the defense and gets his iron curtain up and can even take out one of your slave miners if you're not careful. On bigger maps this is not an issue but smaller maps it screws you up.

What about building down towards the bottom ore on either spot, and then protecting the ore with your base?

that is part of the way to counter it but still they can manage to slow yuri down with good control. If you're on the right side you build toward the middle first with Bio reactor, Barracks. This way you can place a bunker arround the front ore patch as well to slightly protect it then WF + RADAR up. BL near MCV going down and stretch to bottom ore. Keeping 1 virus near the miner at the front but its still hard. If you can test it out and let me know that would be cool...

I always found that 2x Virus was the way to go.

Especially for every deso they purchase you should be able to buy a virus to counter.

There is a bit of execution/skill and luck of course in killing them though. Lag works in the Virus' favour too.

I think SvY on Dune has been overplayed and in general, harassment from Soviet players got better over the years.

Also, desos can deploy and move back, drawing the virus in to the radiation without getting hit, or at least not getting killed.

And that's only in 1v1. As the # of desos increase, viruses will never last.

One tactic that does work for yuri is to hit the desos from above, as the radiation is longer side to side than top to bottom.

Of course, multiple desos will cover this end also.

always a pain in the ass this map, but good to see different tactics working - some yuris would rush with gattling and penetrate a power plant or something to give sovs low power - some would rush with initiates (wtf...? ha!) brutes to harrass power plant.... i would say keep harrassing the soviet to avoid him getting too many desos, or tech up quickly to get disc to kill the desos easily or just mind control those mofos :D

always a pain in the ass this map, but good to see different tactics working - some yuris would rush with gattling and penetrate a power plant or something to give sovs low power - some would rush with initiates (wtf...? ha!) brutes to harrass power plant.... i would say keep harrassing the soviet to avoid him getting too many desos, or tech up quickly to get disc to kill the desos easily or just mind control those mofos :D

The harassing part may buy you some time but the gattling tank rush and initiate walk is easily countered by a sentry or 1 rhino.

Iraq has TWO useful things against Yuri (the desolator and iron curtain), but Yuri has MANY against Iraq (and every other faction). So if you know the counter to desos... DON'T TELL HIM!! :P

Incorrect. No matter what the yuri uses, whether is chaos drone, virus, gatling tank or miner, the sov will aways manage to kill some of your slaves. There is nothing 100% effective to stop desos melting slaves.

To the guy who said use a miner, the deso can just walk back and you lost time mining ore.

As someone whos probably melted a lot of your slaves over the years i find the most effective counter is a combo of a gat bunker and chaos drone, use the chaos drone to draw in the terror drone then go after the deso, that being sayed your still going to lose some slaves.  You need to remember the Sov is generally doing this to buy time. My aim in desoing your slaves is to allow me to get teched up for iron curtain and seige choppers. The best strategy is actually to pressure with a few early lasher/gat, especially if the sov goes radar first. the sov then has to deal with this so you can tech up quickly and get a disk. Id suggest going straight for the sovs power with 2 lashers and a gat. As soon as you get a disk i cant really get to your miners. You can tech up on 3 miners get a disk then get some extra miners.

As someone whos probably melted a lot of your slaves over the years i find the most effective counter is a combo of a gat bunker and chaos drone, use the chaos drone to draw in the terror drone then go after the deso, that being sayed your still going to lose some slaves.  You need to remember the Sov is generally doing this to buy time. My aim in desoing your slaves is to allow me to get teched up for iron curtain and seige choppers. The best strategy is actually to pressure with a few early lasher/gat, especially if the sov goes radar first. the sov then has to deal with this so you can tech up quickly and get a disk. Id suggest going straight for the sovs power with 2 lashers and a gat. As soon as you get a disk i cant really get to your miners. You can tech up on 3 miners get a disk then get some extra miners.

Wot if the sov goes quick rhino and sentry to stop your gat and lasher rush?

Isn't that the whole point, if he's making tanks/miners/sentrys he won't have cash for deso's till later on. Unless the sov goes radar before war some early pressure will considerably slow him down. He could try to rush u but a rush against a good yuri player is dumb imo.

It's also better to build downwards first from left or right side as it's much easier to defend from deso.

Use Ore Miner can make the desolators retreat like you said, which is what you should want (they will stop bothering your slaves). You don't waste time in your ore mining because who would only build 1 miner? If they started to build rhino tanks to counter, well as a Yuri player, you shouldn't fear that.