Balance changes

ROBOTICSUPERMAN

There! I said it! Balance changes.

Would they be a good idea to add them to red alert 2 and yuris revenge?

At the moment, most matches seem to completely ignore the existence of apocalypse tanks, tesla troopers, crazy Ivan's, flack boats, v3s, magnetrons, master minds, brutes, vipers, and basic yuris.

Would balance changes help relieve this? Or would it just alienate the players?

Also where's the chrono prison, which is advertised on the case :P

Hello - just to put a statement out straight off, CnCNet will never release balance changes to the game. It will always be original. If anyone would like to make changes, they should create a separate mod (which of course can then be played via CnCNet if developed)

A matter of a potential Red Alert 2 patch is a simple one - the players will never reach a consensus. It's been 15 years since the release and most players have their own vision of what should've been changed. There've been attempts but all have failed as it is impossible to universally agree on something that's not designed by the game developers.

Try creating your own version, perhaps it'll become the popular one.

Chrono Prison will be back in Mental Omega. ;)

At the moment, most matches seem to completely ignore the existence of apocalypse tanks, tesla troopers, crazy Ivan's, flack boats, v3s, magnetrons, master minds, brutes, vipers, and basic yuris.

Crazy Ivans can actually do quite well. In YR where they 1 shot warfactors, you can force players to sell their WF and hinder they production. They good for Derricks, and Bridge Bombing, which shouldn't be underestimated.

V3's are used in high level play, they are good vs soviet mirror as building aa early is almost a waste. Or cracking open defended areas.

Flak boats good vs air that try to get your Dreadnaughts, that shoulda been obvious. Especially in Water Dominate Maps.

Hi superman! I completely agree with you on the lack of certain units. Cncnet won't be making any balance changes to retain the classic ra2 gameplay everyone loves. I however have been working on balancing the game thru my modding of the official maps which I refer to as the "Stache" maps. Join me and my buds sometime. In game name is MustacheX. Join us and you'll see every nation, unit and strategy being used. :)

A long time ago, in a server now long gone, rocketeers used to be seen as useless units and crates (enabled) was a standard game setting. Now, rocketeers come out in the first 3 minutes of a match, and crates are removed from the xwis ladder maps. My point is, it takes years to really know a game inside-out and be able to correctly balance it.

Therefore (and please don't hate me when I say this), in my opinion, only the players that compete on the xwis ladder month after month and are finishing in the top 10 month after month and have done so for years would be able to do this.

All the yuri units you named are often used. Especially magnetrons.

The rest are debatable.

Would putting build limits on all units help to balance the game?

So you could only build 4 apocs or only 10 rinos or only 3 aircraft carriers?

No. Even as a non-YR online player I can tell thats a silly idea.

Last thing we want is another C&C4 clone. (Yeah, I went there)

I don't think putting limits on units would be a good change for balance. Just making some of the crappier units more useful is the approach I take. So far the factions are quite ironed out. If you're not actively grabbing the critical points on the map, then you deserve to lose. You can't just sit in base and expect to win.

Every unit in the game has its uses, you just need to learn when and how to use them. What are vipers?

The worst units are easily Tesla Troops, Brutes, Demo Trucks, Tesla Tanks and Terrorists.

Others are Tank Destroyers, Destroyers, Apocalypses, V3's.

Again, most of these units are useful if you use them correctly.

The worst units are easily Tesla Troops, Brutes, Demo Trucks, Tesla Tanks and Terrorists.

Tank Destroyers and Tesla troopers are pretty efficient units against early tank rushes. Demo trucks isn't completely useless, it's just that desolators are a better choice(iron curtain mheheh). Not sure about tesla tanks, some people debate its extra firepower can make a difference in a small tank group although it sacrifices armor and paying additional $300 more than a rhino.

I know the underused stuffs is a bummer but I still think CnCnet needs to retain the original.

Just because units have a function doesn't give any indication of whether they are good or bad, tell me a tournament where these units are built and have them do well.

• Tesla Troopers - Get kited, do no dmg in other words, get rekt by cons, Gi, inits for 500$
  • Brutes - ditto
  • Demo Trucks - only good with IC
  • Tesla Tanks - worse range and durability and require radar, they take 1-2 shots before they can attack
  • Terrorists - Why not build an Engi and take out a key structure for cheaper, or CI's
  • Tank Destroyers - bad range, speed and turn rate, easily out maneuvered and cant hit anything on slope terrain
  • Destroyers - do no land damage, and osprey get shot down before doing anything
  • Apocalypse - slow, wrecked by other factions late game, only good for IC, Rhinos are just better

Why on Earth would you build Tesla Troopers when Desolators cost 100$ more, self heal, more health, have better range, similiar DPS vs Tanks and thats not even including their Deploy weapon.

Just because units have a function doesn't give any indication of whether they are good or bad, tell me a tournament where these units are built and have them do well.

• Tesla Troopers - Get kited, do no dmg in other words, get rekt by cons, Gi, inits for 500$
  • Brutes - ditto
  • Tesla Tanks - worse range and durability and require radar, they take 1-2 shots before they can attack
  • Terrorists - Why not build an Engi and take out a key structure for cheaper, or CI's
  • Tank Destroyers - bad range, speed and turn rate, easily out maneuvered and cant hit anything on slope terrain
  • Destroyers - do no land damage, and osprey get shot down before doing anything
  • Apocalypse - slow, wrecked by other factions late game, only good for IC, Rhinos are just better

Why on Earth would you build Tesla Troopers when Desolators cost 100$ more, self heal, more health, have better range, similiar DPS vs Tanks and thats not even including their Deploy weapon.

• Brutes - ditto

I agree with everything here except about Destroyers. I'm not sure what you mean by 'do no land damage' because they're effective for taking out buildings near shores, unless you mean something else. The ospreys are pretty decent too.

Yes, agreed. These units do need an upgrade, minus the destroyer. That unit is in a very good spot right now. It's very powerful as it is. It shits on boomers all day and night. However, that's also due to yuri having no anti air on the water. I plan on changing that in my maps. Perhaps a gatling boat is in order. Possibly a mind control boat as well.

So a unit has a use, doesn't mean its good. Lets see all those said units win a tournament over someone who doesn't use those units. Yea lets use d trucks and terrorists over desos. Never happened. ZigZag played like 1 tournament, doesn't win and thinks he knows what hes talking about.

Yes, agreed. These units do need an upgrade, minus the destroyer. That unit is in a very good spot right now. It's very powerful as it is. It shits on boomers all day and night. However, that's also due to yuri having no anti air on the water. I plan on changing that in my maps. Perhaps a gatling boat is in order. Possibly a mind control boat as well.

not sure if its a good idea since gattiling tanks are pretty cheap and they do their job very well. Id rather increase the time when slaves got respawned from miner when they are killed.

not sure if its a good idea since gattiling tanks are pretty cheap and they do their job very well. Id rather increase the time when slaves got respawned from miner when they are killed.

Have you ever played as yuri in a big naval map like Ultimate Battle? He gets raped on the water. the only units he's able to use on the water are boomers, discs, and two yuri primes. Allies and sovs have quite a large variety. I think a gatling boat would make him more useful on maps like this. However, I do agree that any balance changes or mods should be through maps only. Cncnet is good to stick to the original game.