How to Use the Map Renderer

Chrono Vortex

To generate all the HD previews, CnCNet comes with the CNC Maps Renderer. You can pretty easily use it to generate your own full sized previews, like this one:

posted image

These are the steps you'll need to take:

1. Open the directory where CnCNet is installed, find the Map Renderer folder and open it.
  2. Open Command Prompt (located in C:/Windows/System32/cmd.exe). Drag and drop the file CNCMaps.Renderer.exe from Map Renderer folder into Command Prompt.
  3. Hit space, type -i (hyphen "i") and hit space again.
  4. Locate the map you want rendered. Drag and drop it into Command Prompt.
  5. Hit space and type -p (hyphen "p").

If you've done everything right, the command should look something like this:

"C:\[CnCNet Directory]\Map Renderer\CNCMaps.Renderer.exe" -i "C:\[Map Directory]\[Map's Name].map" -p

Just hit Enter and the renderer should generate a preview in the same directory as your map.

Edited by Chrono Vortex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What the hell? This program has its own GUI for years!

Download from this topic: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/3806-ra2-yr-maps-a-ginormous-collection-of-maps/

Upd:

Spoiler

Prompt commands if you dare to use this program without GUI:

don't forget to use -S to show start positions on the map.

SS_73.JPEG.5977217cc9c56afdea4457541c42f602.JPEG

Edited by Ezer_2000

1 hour ago, Ezer_2000 said:

What the hell? This program has its own GUI for years!

Download from this topic: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/3806-ra2-yr-maps-a-ginormous-collection-of-maps/

Right, but if you try the link to download the latest version, it doesn't work. The only available version there is v2.3.0. I suspect the version that comes with CnCNet is the latest. If it is, this would be the only way to run the latest version without access to download it independently.

1 hour ago, YosefAnan said:

I have already searched for that by clicking on "windows" button with R on keyboard .. it's not in my PC.
Can you upload it?

Asking for an upload of Command Prompt because you can't find it seems silly. I'm pretty the computer needs it to run properly. It should be located in C:/Windows/System32/cmd.exe. If you really don't have it, you may be able to download it from somewhere on Microsoft's site.

Edited by Chrono Vortex

On 9/16/2017 at 9:05 PM, Chrono Vortex said:

Right, but if you try the link to download the latest version, it doesn't work. The only available version there is v2.3.0. I suspect the version that comes CnCNet is the latest. If it is, this would be the only way to run the latest version without access to download it independently.

The map renderer that Ezer_2000 linked to above (version 2.3.0.0, released 2016) is actually newer than the map renderer that comes with CnCNet (version 2.0.8562.0, released 2015).

Edited by fir3w0rx

51 minutes ago, fir3w0rx said:

The map renderer that Ezer_2000 linked to above (version 2.3.0.0, released 2016) is actually newer than the map renderer that comes with CnCNet (version 2.0.8562.0, released 2015).

Ah. That fact combined with the map renderer being removed from the latest version of CnCNet kinda makes this post obsolete. Oh well.

8 hours ago, Chrono Vortex said:

Ah. That fact combined with the map renderer being removed from the latest version of CnCNet kinda makes this post obsolete. Oh well.

It's been removed? But mine's still there?? I guess maybe if you do a clean install then it will no longer exist. Your instructions in your first post are still relevant for the stand-alone version though.

20 minutes ago, fir3w0rx said:

It's been removed? But mine's still there?? I guess maybe if you do a clean install then it will no longer exist. Your instructions in your first post are still relevant for the stand-alone version though.

I mean, yeah, running the update doesn't delete the renderer files, but anyone who gets CnCNet now won't have it. And if there's a version available that's more recent that has a GUI then there isn't much reason to do this.

Edited by Chrono Vortex

10 hours ago, Lud0wig said:

C'mon... it's not that bad

Yeah I'm just kiddin, it's ok. It's good for watching ASCII Star Wars :P

Spoiler

Make sure Telnet Client is enabled (in Control Panel) then goto good ol' command prompt and type:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

(Don't forget to disable Telnet Client afterwards).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i'm having trouble using the renderer. I've got version 2.3.0.0. I've tried with so many maps but all fail. Here is the log I get:

"[Info] Parsing snow.ini
[Info] Parsing snowmd.ini
[Info] Parsing snowmd.ini
[Debug] Engine type detected as YurisRevenge
[Info] Engine autodetect result: YurisRevenge
[Info] Initializing filesystem for the YurisRevenge engine
[Fatal] Rules or art config file could not be loaded! You cannot render a YR/FS map without the expansion installed
[Fatal] Ini files couldn't be loaded
[Error] Could not successfully load this map. Try specifying the engine type manually.

Rules loading failed. Please make sure the mix directory is correct and that the required expansion packs are installed if they are required for the map you want to render.

It appears an error ocurred during image rendering."

I also can't send bug reports.

• 2 weeks later...

will it be transferred also if someone loads the map from me through a multiplayer game?

I don´t know if it is supposed to be like that but i still get such HD Previews in the normal CnCnet Client:

preview.jpg

Edited by v2elite

• 6 months later...
On 9/15/2017 at 9:57 AM, Chrono Vortex said:

To generate all the HD previews, CnCNet comes with the CNC Maps Renderer. You can pretty easily use it to generate your own full sized previews, like this one:

posted image

These are the steps you'll need to take:

1. Open the directory where CnCNet is installed, find the Map Renderer folder and open it.
  2. Open Command Prompt (located in C:/Windows/System32/cmd.exe). Drag and drop the file CNCMaps.Renderer.exe from Map Renderer folder into Command Prompt.
  3. Hit space, type -i (hyphen "i") and hit space again.
  4. Locate the map you want rendered. Drag and drop it into Command Prompt.
  5. Hit space and type -p (hyphen "p").

If you've done everything right, the command should look something like this:

"C:\[CnCNet Directory]\Map Renderer\CNCMaps.Renderer.exe" -i "C:\[Map Directory]\[Map's Name].map" -p

Just hit Enter and the renderer should generate a preview in the same directory as your map.

I've gotten the HD image in my custom map folder, but the cncnet client still uses the low reso image for my custom map. How to fix this?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...