Just a warning on playing custom maps

Grant

Watch out for custom maps claiming to be "official". Even if they look the same and are not the ones from the "Battle" game mode shipped with the client, they are modified. 

We've seen some maps that are identical to the original, but with some spots having ridiculous advantages. 

We're going to be looking at a whitelist system of maps soon (probably in the new year now) which if a map is not in the list, will announce it's "unknown" and "modified" and could contain unfair advantages. 

• Like 3

• Grant pinned this topic

ahh what about maps that are custom maps that are fair maps. for example, i make the rawr maps fair maps to all sides that are not trying to be offical maps. will those maps then be known as unknown or modified. im also a good player that gets called a cheater because i play the game better then a lot of the peop[e that i run into, will it then be the argument of well you playhing on a unknown map so you much be cheating?'

On 14/12/2017 at 9:17 PM, rishain said:

ahh what about maps that are custom maps that are fair maps. for example, i make the rawr maps fair maps to all sides that are not trying to be offical maps. will those maps then be known as unknown or modified. im also a good player that gets called a cheater because i play the game better then a lot of the peop[e that i run into, will it then be the argument of well you playhing on a unknown map so you much be cheating?'

Maps like yours are fine, hes talking about maps like that version of hammer and sickle that spot 1 has 10 mcvs outside the map and unlimited cash etc.

Also dont worry about being called a cheater if your better than opponents its happened for years.I used to argue about it years ago but nowadays I try to explain basic bo's etc to help these folk.

P.S  Ive only played one or two but i liked your map's :)

• 2 weeks later...

For starters just make a filter that not ANY map can have an identical name as the official maps. With just that filter you already shape off 99% of the cheated maps, where people are now forced to put an extra character or space in the identical map name, which is very easy to spot. 

Its already very easy spot in general because the map preview will be very ugly, and you never have to download an official map, but if they can't have an identical name anymore as the official maps it helps a lot too, since that's how they put people off-guard.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:17 AM, rishain said:

We can't whitelist custom maps because people can customized it with cheats. Only official maps because everybody knows official maps are not made by sneaky cheaters silently putting tremendous advantages at their starting spot. Yes, there are custom maps that are fair but we wouldn't know there are thousands of them!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

FCK  someone made sneaky edit  of my ww5.   ITs  ALLIED ANTI AIR power upgraded...  There was another "ww5 upgraded" like these before...

Maybe cnc developers may give MD5 based verification for preventing these sneaky modded maps on next update? it would be great. 

hmm maybe it was a TRAINER not modded map... 

Edited by Alpaca

• 5 months later...

A)
Ok  its a real thing now.

Could you guys make "verified" custom maps based on md5 hash?  I can provide legit versions of my maps. (They are in GDrive already)

B) Is there any way to quick spot what is modified on map? (with using fa2 or else) -----found a website for it.

Edited by Alpaca

• 2 months later...

You guys all know that cheating has been a part of RA2/YR since it's development or at least the development of the Map Editors. The only way anyone is ever going to figure out if a map cheats is to have someone open up maps physically look them over and make a list of the maps with the cheats or benefits of them. Everyone loves to play Eagle7002's  Crate Wars, but do you realize someone, edited the map never changed the name and with the edits the Triggers for crates have been modified to give Iraq extra crates. 

A lot of new players don't recognize that more Construction Yards mean buildings build faster
More factories means infantry and units build faster
When build speed is modified, the units can cost a lot more money if you do not have enough factories to keep up. (When you click 30 tanks with 1 or 2 Factories the tanks will probably build like 10 to 13 tanks but they will take all the money it cost for the 30. This ends up costing all you resources so you can't compete with the better players.)

There are several maps that have built in cheats such as 1 -4 player map has Cloaking devices on 2 bases and unlimited money too.

There are maps that have certain buildings that are the Prerequisite Override to allow a player to build any unit or structure.

I myself have modified maps that are fair but have secrets buried in them, I don't consider it cheating as all players gain the benefit, but do all take advantage of it. I have 5 types of modified tents on the Winter Canyons map,  but if 1 player can access, all players can access so 4 players there are 4 of each tent.
Special Interest:
Special Unit Bus for Transportation
White Trucks Loaded with Crates if Turned On
Special tents:
Click Repairable, Produce Cash of 2000, have Hidden Secret Technology Such as Tech Machine Shop, Tech Civilian Hospital, Radar, Spy Satelite, Paradrop, these tents all have names on them so by mousing over you will notice the difference.

I have also built maps that have the benefit of Reinforcement teams coming from off the map but those triggers are set through out the map and come into play by traveling the map and landing on tagged squares or entering tagged buildings, (these tags usually work on the idea, America Enters then America gets a team from off the map, so on and so forth for all 10 teams in the game.)

Another map Baby v1.01 (Read Notes of Interest below) the only way to know this is to know the map.

Players 2-7
Map Size 95x160
Money on map 3,052,475
GameMode Standard, Meatgrind, Duel, Cooperative, Teamgame

Buildings on Map
Tech Airports
Tech Machine Shops
Tech Outpost
Tech Civilian Hospitals
Allied Construction Yards
Soviet Construction Yards
Yuri Construction Yards
Soviet Nuclear Reactors

Notes of Interest
This is different, More money, Tech, and Power, but if you are going to harvest Ore and Gems you will probably lose to the guy that sales his Nuclear Reactor or Barracks. The REFUND on buildings is 100,000 Percent (on a $2,000 war factory times %100,000=$4,000,000,000) Being a fast build map you need that kind of money because stuff can cost a lot of money when the factories can't keep up with the build speed. Of course I haven't mentioned that the buildings are not quite balanced from 1 base to the next have I?

[General]
UIName=Name:General
BuildSpeed=0.078
RefundPercent=100000%

Just a matter of keep it fair for 1 and all is the key to good maps.

• 9 months later...
  • burg93 unpinned this topic