CnC Tiberium Dawn stuck

Actor

Question

I have a few distribution of CnC 1 (Tiberium Dawn), including Nyerguds' 1.06c, and this problem seem to be common to all of them.

When turn on the computer and I start the game, sometomes it doesn't load up. That is, the mouse icon changes into an arrow with a hourglass, and after a few seconds returns to the normal arrow. No game lanches, although the "C&C95" process is still active. A couple of times I tried to launch the game, failed, and then lanched a different distribution. If it worked, then I could exit it and launch the first distributon successfully (until the next time I turned off the computer). Also, one time I tried to launch 1.06c, failed, and then installed the Video pack. After that, the game launched (until the next time I turned the computer off and on).

Also (may be connected), the game tends to freeze in the middle (in one distribution, it always freezes when I complete the Dinosaurs mission 1). it tends to freeze again at the same point, that is, if I save the game, continue playing and then it freezes after (say) a minute, and then I quit to Windows, kill the game's process, re-runs it and loads the mission, it'll freeze again after a minute, no matter what I do in that minute.

Windows XP, CnC 95.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

What do you mean by "no compatibility modes enabled"? This program must be run in Windows-95 compatibility mode. Otherwise it won't load at all (it also had to be installed in this compatibility mode).

21 minutes ago, Actor said:

What do you mean by "no compatibility modes enabled"? This program must be run in Windows-95 compatibility mode. Otherwise it won't load at all (it also had to be installed in this compatibility mode).

If you run the game without cnc-ddraw (check my link) then it will need the compatibility mode, but it will not run well. It's better to disable it and use cnc-ddraw instead. It should help to fix the freezing at least. Not sure about the other problem though.

The file td-config.7z, in your link, seems to be broken. Some of the files in it have packed size of 0 (that is, WinRAR reports the filesize as, say, 165,888 bytes, but a packed size of 0). When extracted, they really have a size of 0. It overwrote my ddraw.dll, thus the game didn't run at all... (I later restored it from my system32 directory).

Is it really broken or is it just a problem with my WinRAR (I tried on two different computers)?