Simple map modding doesn't work and leaves me angry and frustrated.

Madness

So, long ago I modded my own maps. Back in 2002 or something. So I know at least a little of how things go. Or I'd like to think so at least. But i'm lost now.

I'm creating a map with FinalAlert 2 Yuri's Revenge and wanted to create some custom lamps for illuminating the map precisely as I wanted. So I thought I would just clone a already existing lamp change its lighting values and add it to the [BuildingTypes] list. So I could use in the editor and have my map look all nice and pretty.

But... in FinalAlert it will only show up as a allied powerplant. It has the name in the sidebar of the lamp but when you drag it on the map its a allied power plant. Seemly in working condition too.

Since that ive tried to do other things like cloning the allied barracks and only changing the cost and name, and when I in-game build it's invisible and only takes up 1 square, let alone it seems to be a weird hybrid of a prismtower and a barracks... What is going on its driving me nuts!

I don't want any special units, I just want lamps. How hard can that be?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know 1 of the tricks I've learned because I always had this problem to when I put a new building in the rules of the map. I would get something in the buildings list and drag it on the map then after adding the modified bldg to the map ini including the Image=, is to go into the map through a text editor and go to the structures section, then what ever the new bldg name is i would paste into the structure files to replace my place holder building. When I open the map up in Final Alert2 then the bldg is not there but if you have Show Building Outlines turned on you will see an invisible bldg outline on the map, when you are in game play it will show up.