Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JL_Stinger

Red Alert 1 Will Not Start

Question

I just installed Red Alert 1 from cncnet and the game wont start.

If I double click ra95.exe nothing happens. If I use RA95Launcher the launcher screen opens, but if I click "play offline" it closes and the game does not open. If I choose skirmish, then Launch Game the window minimizes for a few seconds then returns to normal without the game starting. In none of these cases is there any a Red Alert in my Task Manager.

I have Windows 8.1

3 answers to this question

No error messages or anything? Have you tried rebooting?

18 hours ago, Tore said:

No error messages or anything? Have you tried rebooting?

No error messages or anything, but I should know better than to report any error without first rebooting and trying again - that fixed it.

Yesterday it didn't work
Today it does
Windows is still that way

It is a really weird problem that has recently started happening. Game refuses to launch on install, but a reboot fixes it.

It's almost like modern Windows wants to pretend it is Win95/Win98 :P

Glad the reboot fixed it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By delly88
      Hello Everyone,
      Please can I get some help ?
      I have installed the full version of the above, from this website.
      I'm running Windows 10 home.
      Installation was fine, start up application, select play offline...
      Game starts but just the front screen then crashes.
      ctrl alt delete doesn't work, I have to restart computer.

I had this game on Dosbox but for some reason it stopped loading new levels.
      So it may be an easy fix but I'm becoming easily exhausted of trying to get this game to run.

Thanks in advance 😁
    • By Grant
      Frequently Asked Questions

Game Specific
      Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge
      Unable to set Video Mode The updater launcher will not exit .NET Framework 3.5 and 2.0 are required, but windows 10 won't download it.  
      All games
      How do I add custom maps? I just downloaded CnCNet, or updated and my anti-virus flagged it as a virus CnCNet has been blocked by my anti-virus or is showing as a virus My game is slow, shows a black screen, or gameplay is choppy Your IP address has been listed at DroneBL  
    • By walker193
      The sound on the game is not working for me.  It starts out, but then very quickly goes away, completely muffled. 
    • By mpielke
      Good morning,
      first of all I have to admit that cncnet is a great work! I have been playing red alert in the late 1990s as a teenager and it is fun to play the same game with my kids now nearly 25 years later... I am currently upgrading my kids' computers from WinXP to Win10 and while red alert still runs fine on Win10, there is one minor issue that I am trying to get around now:
      The LAN cnc irc server (which is started when selecting the LAN modus on the launcher and no other server is running on the LAN) requires admin priviledges to be run. Now I do not want to grant these rights to my kids user accounts and I do not want to give the admin password to them for obvious reasons. One workaround would be to use the online mode whichs runs fine or to start red alert without the launcher but I am trying to fix this issue for me to benefit from the great work of the cncnet lobby.
      I do have a local IRC server up and running which I can use to connect using the online-modus (by setting the server in the server file). But I would like to set this server to be used when seleting the LAN-mode. The local IRC server I have is not the one from cnc as I have set it up on a small linux home server - I am not able to use the cnc irc server there as I do not want to change this linux system significantly (no .net, no mono, no wine). The current irc server is running in a docker image which works great without altering the system itself.
      So the question is: how do I tell the cncnet5 application to connect to a certain irc server (the local irc server) when selecting LAN mode?
      Best regards
      Martin
    • By DigitalRonin
      Greetings,
      For some reason my DTA client doesn't work anymore, and this is the case for everything I own. E.g, MO and TI etc... I have installed Windows 10 lately so that could be an issue with some .dll file or something, idk. Tried to reinstall one of the mods but didn't work, also installed XNA framework 4.0 but nope.
      Here is my client folder.
      - DR
      client.log