TaxOwlbear

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent play.

And I don't mind if you go tactical for the harvester first. I always did that too.

Have you noticed that the infantry actually has a good chance against heavy tanks?

And if you included medics (press G, press G) your infantry live much, much longer.

Agreed on the grenadiers though, they are a pain. And their range is abnormal compared to grenadiers of other games.

Next challenge should be from someone else.

Have you noticed that the infantry actually has a good chance against heavy tanks?

There was surprisingly little infantry squishing. I had the feeling that in C&C1, tanks go more for the squish, but the heavy tanks here just stood and fought.

And if you included medics (press G, press G) your infantry live much, much longer.

I didn't think it was worth it. I have to try that next time. :)

Next challenge should be from someone else.

I'm in for anything that's not too outrageous (e.g. beating the campaign only using technicians or so).

You say that the medium tank is better than the light tank. This is not true.

If you have excellent micro, it can survive an heavy tank.

The light tank also has more damage out put.

Of course you can forget about this when you play online.

Well, my "excellent micro" is debatable.  XD

Seriously, though, I thought the medium tank had a better firepower/price ratio?

Of course you can forget about this when you play online.

Not sure if it's still true, but I think you can forget about playing the Allies online on non-water maps...

Well, my "excellent micro" is debatable.  XD

With the Q tactic this *could* be true, but it doesn't really matter that much. If in doubt, stick to meds anyway.

Not sure if it's still true, but I think you can forget about playing the Allies online on non-water maps...

I don't think theres much point playing as Allies online, like ever.

I still play Soviets on water maps anyway.

As for the missions, the videos are good, and you have clearly highlighted that... disappointment that Variations (a,b) of missions are just the same mission written in a different way, whereas most of the time in Tiberian Dawn they actually told you to do something different.

As for the missions, the videos are good, and you have clearly highlighted that... disappointment that Variations (a,b) of missions are just the same mission written in a different way, whereas most of the time in Tiberian Dawn they actually told you to do something different.

I'm a bit torn here. C&C1 theoretically has 55 mission, but some recycle the same objective and map, some recycle only the objective, and some have different maps and different objectives.* RA1 has less missions (41), but those mission all use different maps.

*It would be neat if there were mission with the same map but different objectives.

*It would be neat if there were mission with the same map but different objectives.

This is what I mean, some of the C&C1 mission variants did this, but RA did not.

Only RA mission that even comes close to doing this is Grunyev Revolution, and you haven't got to that part yet.

I'm a bit torn here. C&C1 theoretically has 55 mission, but some recycle the same objective and map, some recycle only the objective, and some have different maps and different objectives.* RA1 has less missions (41), but those mission all use different maps.

C&C has 49 missions and they all use different maps.*  Sometimes the map select screen will make it look like there's 2 variants (GDI13 I think) when in reality there's only 1.  They do, however, use some of the same objectives.  Think Nod's "steal the crate" map(s).  :yo:

*the only exception might be GDI6/7 where 7 uses an expanded version of 6's map.

C&C has 49 missions and they all use different maps.*  Sometimes the map select screen will make it look like there's 2 variants (GDI13 I think) when in reality there's only 1.  They do, however, use some of the same objectives.  Think Nod's "steal the crate" map(s).  :yo:

*the only exception might be GDI6/7 where 7 uses an expanded version of 6's map.

Yes but then theres also variants like Nod 7 (a,b,c) where Seth asks you to blow up a few scientists and a village (or so you think), or just a village, or steal an orca and blow up a village.

Or theres Nod 10 (a,b) where you either assasinate a scientist or blow up some mammoth tanks.

Best example imo is GDI 8 where the two missions are completely different (protect Moebius or Utilise a repair bay).

Frankly that Moebius hospital mission really annoys me. Even more so in Red Dawn when Allen fixed half of the helicopter reinforcements ¬_¬ (you bastard!)

Plus I think one of the GDI crate variants actually asks you to protect a village instead.

I know GDI 5 (based on which mission you pick for 4) only has 3 variants when it looks like it has 4.

My point is that RA NEVER had any variation at all. Every time you had a variant of a mission it was exactly the same mission on a very similar map, which is kinda dull really.

Like those 3 tanya missions (5a,5b,5c) TaxOwlBear just did, other than slightly different map orientations and slightly different base layouts, what was actually different in those missions?

Well imagine my surprise when I encountered it on a playthrough of the Nintendo 64 version, where the bug that prevents that map choice from working simply isn't there.

Then imagine my surprise at finding out that this mysterious unique mission has been in the PC version's files all along O_o

It's funny how the research center shown in the briefing is a Soviet Tech Center :D

Yeah theres a few random discrepancies in C&C cutscenes aren't there

like the GDI textured flame tanks in C&C1

Or the ending cuscene where the chronosphere wipes out allied attacking units?

As for the mission itself, Gap Generators are nice, but they only actually have an effect when using them against human players.

And destroying the enemy base makes your life very easy, but I don't think the devs intended for that to be possible.

I remember when Allen updated this mission for red dawn, the Nod base is impossible to break down :P

Or the ending cuscene where the chronosphere wipes out allied attacking units?

I never quite got what was supposed to happen there. Did the Chronosphere freeze time?

As for the mission itself, Gap Generators are nice, but they only actually have an effect when using them against human players.

And destroying the enemy base makes your life very easy, but I don't think the devs intended for that to be possible.

I remember when Allen updated this mission for red dawn, the Nod base is impossible to break down :P

I recall this mission being harder when I played it back in the day. I didn't even think of attacking the Soviet base back then.

Every mission was harder back in the day.

But destroying the enemy base is a good one.

PS. I always sold of every structure that was of no use to me. This certainly includes the GAP.

The little money plus extra infantry helps.

That is one of those missions that, if you redo. With light tanks, and simply run over all those infantry first before attacking his tanks. Indeed get a second war factory, but you can even get a third one if you go triple refinery. But the choice is yours.

If you are fast enough, and your initial army has sustained less damage. Than you already can cripple the AI by killing their harvesters and fight off the other units.

This mission too could let you kill the enemy base. Try to beat this mission before the 30 minutes expire? Meaning, no more AI around. You may put the speed a bit lower for this one.