Using service depot to repair Harriers/Black Eagles

Ra2Nub

I've semi recently learnt about this trick on a video, but I have questions about it.

Is it seen as glitch abuse/bug abuse or is it permitted to be used? I see it as extremely useful obviously since you can repair Black Eagles much faster than normally, but I have no clue if this was intended or not, and most likely it wasn't since you need do trickery to make them land on the service depot and repair themselves

But are there any problems/issues if people/myself do use it? Any opinions from the CnCnet staff?

I've semi recently learnt about this trick on a video, but I have questions about it.

Is it seen as glitch abuse/bug abuse or is it permitted to be used?

I can only speak for XWIS where it is seen as glitch/bug abuse.

I recommend you not to do it. Planes will self-heal over time.

Who did you see doing it? Expose the cheaters!

This seems more like a secret feature developers left rather than a bug exploit or a cheat. It shouldn't be considered as such.

It doesn't get close to break the game.

Your logic is flawed. Very flawed.

Planes cannot dock with Service Depots like Vehicles can. You can check this for yourself as you will not see the arrows you see as with Vehicles that can dock on Service Depots. The mere fact that you have to use a trick like say spying your own buildings to get the Plane to land on the Service Depot should be a huge clue for you that it was not intended by the developers. The fact that the Service Depot then starts repairing the landed Plane is a bug as well as planes even landing anywhere other than on its Air Force Command.

For the very reason that Planes were not intended to be repaired they self-heal over time.

Besides, here's what an original RA2 developer has to say about it:

this is part of reloading + being an aircraft (Repair code is oogly, only Reload got rewritten for four ports.)

Yes, there's numerous bugs with Service Depots THAT INDEED CAN AND DO BREAK games. This is just one of the less-severe bugs.

Anyways, I'm done here.

Here's a fairly lengthy debate about this on the xwis server back in 2012 if anyone's interested...

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/172213-fixing-planes-on-a-depot-bannable/

Feel free to continue voting on the poll :P...

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/172279-fixing-planes-on-a-depot-bannable-poll/

Bottom line is that the decision whether this is permitted or not is up to the admin(s) of the server. In the end of that^ debate, Olaf (the xwis admin) posted:

"to me it looks like it should be bannable."

Thanks for answers everyone! Now to think about it; you needing to trick the game instead of just hoovering over it makes it kind of obvious this was not an intended behaviour. As such, I will stop use it now (only used it for like 2 games anyway..)

Cheers.

Thanks for answers everyone! Now to think about it; you needing to trick the game instead of just hoovering over it makes it kind of obvious this was not an intended behaviour. As such, I will stop use it now (only used it for like 2 games anyway..)

Exactly.

Here's another wise mans posts:

As far as I know fixing planes on depots whatever sort on land or on naval yards is bannable.

It doesn't seem to be intended that planes are fixable on naval yards. It's too overpowered to just fix planes like that, they heal themselves over time for a reason.

It must have been overlooked, luckily it doesn't cause an internal error like some other things that obviously were overlooked too.

Try getting a plane repaired just as you would get your tank repaired. Maybe that'll unconfuse you.

Yes, that's ridiculous. Me: *waits for the next player to come in and post how allies are the underdogs*, lol...

But the point is that fixing planes is not intended. You're not supposed to do it. There is no balancing for it whatsoever. In reality it's an unfair and overpowered action as is self-spying.

The fact that you can't just send a plane to a depot like a tank is enough. The reason it actually works is due to RA2s beautifully thought out object model where all units share a base class, regardless whether they're ships, planes or vehicles. You could probably even repair a ship on a service depot if you could move it on land.

Wow, very well said! This is the point I'm trying to bring accross the whole time, I really can't believe people don't grasp it.

They don't understand that just repairing eagles is not balanced in any kind or way. It's exactly like self-spying for that matter.

Wow, very well said! This is the point I'm trying to bring accross the whole time, I really can't believe people don't grasp it.

They don't understand that just repairing eagles is not balanced in any kind or way. It's exactly like self-spying for that matter.

Oh yeah just $100+? You have to PAY to self spy too, it costs you $500 for an extra engineer... So how can we not compare them?

But compare it to spying your opponent, you may fail to spy your opponent several times, costing you $1300 each time (spy + IFV). Same with planes, heavily damaged cannot really be used until they've halfway regenerated or you're risking losing $1200 (black eagle).

Realize you're not intended to self-spy nor to repair planes.

Just like I posted in the first post in this topic. Don't do it and we can all be friends!  :)

Exactly.

Here's another wise mans posts:

As far as I know fixing planes on depots whatever sort on land or on naval yards is bannable.

It doesn't seem to be intended that planes are fixable on naval yards. It's too overpowered to just fix planes like that, they heal themselves over time for a reason.

It must have been overlooked, luckily it doesn't cause an internal error like some other things that obviously were overlooked too.

Try getting a plane repaired just as you would get your tank repaired. Maybe that'll unconfuse you.

Yes, that's ridiculous. Me: *waits for the next player to come in and post how allies are the underdogs*, lol...

But the point is that fixing planes is not intended. You're not supposed to do it. There is no balancing for it whatsoever. In reality it's an unfair and overpowered action as is self-spying.

The fact that you can't just send a plane to a depot like a tank is enough. The reason it actually works is due to RA2s beautifully thought out object model where all units share a base class, regardless whether they're ships, planes or vehicles. You could probably even repair a ship on a service depot if you could move it on land.

Oh yeah just $100+? You have to PAY to self spy too, it costs you $500 for an extra engineer... So how can we not compare them?

But compare it to spying your opponent, you may fail to spy your opponent several times, costing you $1300 each time (spy + IFV). Same with planes, heavily damaged cannot really be used until they've halfway regenerated or you're risking losing $1200 (black eagle).

Realize you're not intended to self-spy nor to repair planes.

Just like I posted in the first post in this topic. Don't do it and we can all be friends!  :)

XWIS does not currently ban for this, that bieng said i dont think we have ever had a report on it.

Also quoting your 2nd account and calling yourself a wise man made me laugh.

Never heard of this one, does speeding repair time at the cost of some credits actually make Korea much more unfairly powerful?

Korea and America are OP already anyway.

The thing is, there's just no balancing, whatsoever, regarding repairing Black Eagles. So yeah, it makes Korea much more unfairly powerful. Basically, it's next to impossible to lose a Black Eagle at full strength.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...