Japanese Command & Conquer Gold

Nyerguds

Thanks to Tore, I finally got my hands on one of the rarest versions of C&C: the PC version from the Land of Consoles.

The Japanese C&C95.

IMG00136.thumb.JPG.23afcffcce81cf2b908556e8eba2f74e.JPG

Now, you may be wondering, what makes this one so special? After all, I already put Japanese into the game.

Well, two things. First of all, the voices on the Sega Saturn version, which I used for the Japanese language in the game, are really poor quality. This version has them in much higher quality. And, secondly... this:

59416e23a828b_command__conquer-2017-06-12-19_33_42.png.ddbc65f2de830e54d55f92ba0862a658.png

As I have mentioned to some people before, the C&C fonts can't support Japanese, because Japanese has such a ridiculous amount of symbols, and C&C's engine only supports one byte per character in text, giving a maximum of 127 special characters.

I knew they solved this on the N64 version by replacing the briefing text by briefing images. Well, it turns out they did exactly the same thing in C&C95. The thing you see in that screenshot is a 320x200 CPS file called SCG01EA.CPS, and it simply replaces the briefing text.

I still have to figure out exactly how it works, but I'm planning to dive into the exe file and add that code to the 1.06 patch, so I can completely support the Japanese language the way it is done in this version.

There are some peculiar details about this version, by the way...

• The actual CD jewel case has no cover art. At all. There's simply no paper inlay in it.
  • The sidebar isn't translated at all, despite being graphics, and not font text. Even with the font problems they could have edited the sell/repair/map buttons, the ready/hold status and primary building text, and the names on the icons.
  • The image briefings system completely replaces the text briefing logic. This version can't read text briefings at all.
  • As you might have seen from the photo, I now finally own a C&C1 mouse mat :D

For anyone who's interested in the ISOs, here they are:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o3nt9brkxhw99hv/C%26C95_(Jap)_Disk_1_GDI.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d6nf9ztab0d1vun/C%26C95_(Jap)_Disk_2_Nod.rar

The game can be installed by using WinPack to extract the "C&C95" folder from SETUP.Z (which is in the INSTALL folder), and then adding ddraw.dll and thipx32.dll from a 1.06 patch install to that folder and running it in... some compatibility mode I guess.

[Edit]

Got my hands on an ISO of the Covert Ops disk. Sadly it seems to be lacking Japanese briefings for the Covert Ops missions, though.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6opufclq5dfvj30/C%26C95_(Jap)_Disk_3_Covert_Ops.rar

To install, just copy SC-000.MIX and SC-001.MIX from the "INSTALL" folder to the C&C95 game folder.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, TaxOwlbear said:

Oh, that's great! And thanks for the links.

Did they ever release a Japanese C&C Gold? Or The Covert Operations?

Um. If they hadn't released one, I wouldn't be posting it here? :huh:

There is apparently a version with the Covert Ops, but this one sadly didn't include that, which also means I'm still missing the briefing pictures of these missions.

I might be able to reconstruct those if I find a Japanese ISO of the PSX version though. If I manage to extract images from that, that is :P

4 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

For anyone who's interested in the ISOs, here they are:

[MEDIAFIRE LINKS]

inb4 a third-party legal team takes 'em down in a wild DMCA claim...

Awesome that you got it, I think it's worth every penny (well... Euro cent). Scan covers for MobyGames pls :D

8 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

inb4 a third-party legal team takes 'em down in a wild DMCA claim...

The game is still freeware, y'know...

8 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Awesome that you got it, I think it's worth every penny (well... Euro cent). Scan covers for MobyGames pls :D

Feck Mobygames. They'd just put their ugly watermarks all over it :P

Tore already added the cover to cnc-comm, though.

2 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Feck Mobygames. They'd just put their ugly watermarks all over it :P

Watermarks have been removed two years ago, IIRC.

2 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

The game is still freeware, y'know...

Registry file additions don't contain game data, but tell that to the EA-"authorized" twats who DMCA'd my RA2/YR registry fixes for Windows 10 a while back.

3 hours ago, Messiah said:

Kilkakon, you should use the voices for the japanese faction in your mod! :D

Except... making a specific faction use a separate voice set kind of doesn't work. My language system is initialized on game startup, without any kind of switching system.

9 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Well hey, if you find way to replace briefing text with an image, of sorts, then it might make it easier to write longer briefings for missions, too. So, this may have other application, too.

It could also help with making translations more accurate. Many languages have longer words on average than English, or require more characters for the same amount of information.

6 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Honestly though, TaxOwlbear, how do you not know this by now? :huh:

I most likely forgot about it because the German version of C&C95 didn't come with The Covert Operations. There was a Windows release of the main game and a separate release of the main game plus expansion.

Um. The Covert Ops is unrelated to this. "C&C Gold" is not "C&C1 + Covert Ops". "C&C Gold" is simply "C&C95". I'm honestly not sure where that misconception ever came from.

The proof:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990219213827/http://www.westwood.com:80/games/ccuniverse/ccgoldpc/

COMMAND & CONQUER GOLD for Windows 95 marks a big improvement to an already great game. By incorporating advanced connectivity and better graphics, C&C fans can battle each other in a way they never have before.

And, to prove it's not linked to the Covert Ops:

• Fully compatible with DOS version of Command & Conquer, as well as the Covert Operations missions disk! 

Archive.org seems to be slipping btw... a lot of the stuff that I based WWR on is simply no longer there.

On 2017-6-16 at 5:14 AM, Messiah said:

Kilkakon, you should use the voices for the japanese faction in your mod! :D

That would actually be amazing, haha xD
I think it's hard to do in a C&C95 mod, though. (unless EVERYONE goes jap, then it's easy, haha... even I can do that xD)

• 2 weeks later...