Running RA2/YR properly without CnCNet

Kadorhal

Question

CnCNet works perfectly with the Origin version of the game - no black-screen or psychedelic colors, no freezing thirty minutes into the game, can even get it to run in windowed mode through the client without Windows throwing a hissy-fit about color modes.

Only problem is, it only lets me play skirmish or multiplayer modes. Sure, I've spent a lot more time with those, but once in a while I'd like to play the campaign; I don't recall ever personally completing more than one mission .

Now, I've already got that ddraw.dll fix going, and for Red Alert 2 it runs damn-near perfectly as well, I just replayed a pair of Soviet missions with it. But so much as having ddraw.dll in the game's folder makes Yuri's Revenge crash on startup with a "Main executable for Yuri's Revenge has stopped working" popup (although I suppose that's a step up from YR just refusing to acknowledge them, or causing the same issues for different reasons no matter what I change). Worse thing is, if I don't have it there, I universally get just a black screen when I try to run the game on its own. I've even tried copying ts-ddraw.dll out of CnCNet's Resources folder and into the main folder, and the game seemed perfectly content to ignore it.

The gist of it is, how do I run the game with CnCNet's improvements without using CnCNet's launcher? Is there something else I need to do to get the game to acknowledge ts-ddraw, or do I need to do something else entirely?

3 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Lud0wig said:

Just rename ts_ddraw.dll to ddraw.dll lol

Still just crashed on startup, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

This worked almost perfectly, however, thanks. Only issue was a crash when I tried to close Yuri's Revenge after playing a campaign mission, a popup saying a ddraw.dll error code 00000006. Still, a crash when I'm trying to quit anyway is far better than what I'd been getting.

EDIT: Didn't get the same crash when testing RA2 base game, though, so there's that.

Edited by Kadorhal