Alting in Yuri's Revenge Competitive Games, how effective is it still?

Grant

Alting in Yuri's Revenge Competitive Games  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How is alting used in Quick Match (Knowing that CnCNet changed it in the past year?)

• It is still used and still just as effective
    • It's not as effective as before
  2. 2. With the change to Alting by CnCNet, do you still consider this a "bug" rather than a "strategy"?

• Yes (Explain in your reply)
    • No
  3. 3. With the changes made to Alting by CnCNet, what is still a problem?

• Vehicles not being able to exit
    • Splash damage
    • Other (Explain in your reply)
    • Nothing

ALT effectiveness comes from it's main objective of adding splash [even from machine gun fire (which mind doesn't splash in any other RTS)].
Especially in the case of lamer players, you'd build sentry / pillboxes to defend your factory against engineers, which then can be taken advantage of by ALTing.

The only time unit blocking was useful was when people would rush and ALT with their first tank, both the blocking and bonus damage is what makes ALT so powerful in these 'special' circumstances.

Yet in the above described scenario of 'unit blocking' with a single tank it's a lot more viable to just make engineers and keep fixing your factory, while in the case of multiple units adding splash damage you don't really get the chance to react.

All you can do is shout "mother*****" and sell your factory, which leaves your opponent with a tank count advantage which he can use to destroy your miners while you're there waiting for that 'new' factory to build up, which is another 2 tank advantage in production.

Back in the day even a 1 tank advantage was 'huge' in competitive games.

Edited by RaVaGe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RaVaGe said:

The only time unit blocking was useful was when people would rush and ALT with their first tank, both the blocking and bonus damage is what makes ALT so powerful in these 'special' circumstances.

Probably not as effective as using your first tank, but years ago on good ol' Little Big Lake (RA2), I remember getting alted by my enemy's first miner. I lost because it caught me off guard and I didn't know what to do, plus I was too busy laughing :D.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1