Tiberian Dawn not working

Doblofino667

Question

Hi guys, I have for the first time today joined Cncnet, as I really miss Tiberian Dawn and I had a huge itch to play it. The download went nice and quick and I was able to get it onto the pc. 

When I run it though, I run into problems. It skips the opening animation and immediately goes to the starting menu. When I press "Start new game" the program hangs and then I need to use task manager to close it. I dinked around with the resolution and compatibility settings too but no joy. In the end I saw a user here report something similar and the admin said something to the effect of changing the rendering to GDI instead of Auto. I did that and still not working. (Obviously when you press start, you go to that snowflake screen where you select GDI or NOD - THAT is the screen that doesn't want to load)

At this point, I have tried all sorts of screen resolutions, rendering options, windowed/fullscreen options and turned comparability settings on and off. Computer still hangs. 

Interesting to note, that when I click other options like "Load", "Internet Game" or "Exit", those options work fine. BUT when I click on "Intro & Sneak Peek" all I see is a screen saying "Coming Attraction" and then goes back to the menu. I remember this was an advert for Tiberian Sun. It seems that I can't run the cutscenes or animations or movie sequences. 

Oh, another thing that might be of assistance. When I run the program without comparability, it hangs after selecting "new game" but when I run it in comparability mode for Windows 95, the game does not load, it simply says "can't play movies" or somesuch. 

I hope the info helps! Please advise. 

Thanks a lot guys.

J

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, cn2mc said:

cncnet only installs a stripped down version for multiplayer with no missions or videos. Go to cnc-comm.com and click around for the full version with Nyerguds' latest patch. 

Thanks buddy. I went to the site and I downloaded the one from Nyerguds. 

So it was downloaded, I installed it and when I try to run the .exe file, then I get this message:

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Red Alert though, I downloaded from this site and it works like a charm, so I'm not getting why Tiberian Dawn is being so difficult. Have you got any idea what I could try now? 

Thank you for replying

J

Sorry, I'm kind of illiterate when it concerns issues like this one, but I'm sure someone who isn't will chime in sooner or later. In the meantime, try fiddling with the settings from the config file and with compatibility. I've had similar problems, unfortunately it was too far back in time for me to remember how I got them solved. But it was here on the forum. You might want to check out these threads:

https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8821-cc-1-tiberian-dawn-installation-on-windows-10/

https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/10135-cc-tiberian-dawn-windows-10-support/