No "new" players will ever get into RA1

Seke

Hey,

I'm a well respected top player on Ra2 and tried to play Ra1 for about 1.5 hours before deciding it's not worth it after getting cussed out by about half a dozen players.

Just saying,

No one new will ever play ra1 with these kinds of attitudes.

I usually found rude morons in p4 rooms. Sometimes I even got PMs from people I just beat asking for a rematch (and calls you pussy if you don't,even when I'm really tired after a long play) and insults my country just because they lose to me fair and square. Thankfully there's a mute/ignore button.

It's a shame. I do think that the TD players seem to be a bit more mature, but that might be to do with there being less players.

Anyway, if you ever wanted to learn C&C95, I'd be happy to help you :)

I'm not much of an RA1 player, though, and I will say, RA1 balance is not my cup of tea.

-Liam

Hey,

I'm a well respected top player on Ra2 and tried to play Ra1 for about 1.5 hours before deciding it's not worth it after getting cussed out by about half a dozen players.

Just saying,

I played since October, and when I started playing I had no problem with cussing.  I have no idea what you're talking about tbh. Also the majority of players play RA1 and not RA2, because RA2 community is worse and theres a little chance a new players can become good like the veterans.

Hey,

Just saying,

RA1 just lacks diversity imo. It's tank spam worse then ra2 and if your not the allied team with increased building speed (Germany I think) or russia (price cuts) then you put yourself at a disadvantage.

Hey,

Just saying,

I played since October, and when I started playing I had no problem with cussing.  I have no idea what you're talking about tbh. Also the majority of players play RA1 and not RA2, because RA2 community is worse and theres a little chance a new players can become good like the veterans.

This is completely false from my perspective. I've gone above and beyond to help new people at ra2 and from my experience...

They either thought I cheated....

Or they just straight didn't listen.

So no I disagree I know a lot of people help new comers. I am an old school ra2 player.

RA1 is simple. It isn't realistically for those who want something openly tactical. Tactical would imply it has some sort of Rock-Paper-Scissors effect. Last I checked RA1 was just Rock vs bigger Rock.

The faction vs faction balancing is decent if you play standard maps, simply because they are both almost exactly the same, but unit-unit balancing is messed up.

RA2  is much more tactical, but I feel it has a few small gameplay and balancing faults that take away from the game a little (I still play it a lot anyway, but im not super-good) I occasionally get the feel of it being "Scissors cuts paper, but I got a big rock that also cuts paper"

Some of the top-level RA1 players are douchebags. Some are also fed up with low-skilled players getting into their games and messing up the balance of play. I have rarely seen any top-level RA2 players but the ones I have seen appear to be decent people (although arrogant as you would expect)

If you want something tactical, fun, and the knowledge that the players are fairly unlikely to kick you all the time (simply because we don't HAVE any players....) then look no further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv4hDGi5W6c (shameless plug)

Tactic is just any method of gaining advantage whereas Rock-Paper-Scissors is random luck.

Um. "Rock-Paper-Scissors", as applied to balance, isn't about luck at all, it's about all weapons having specific counters which in turn are weak against yet other weapons. :dry:

The only effect that rock-paper-scissors would have is that you have "3" types of weapons and "3" types of armor in combinations. Thus 9 different types of units.

These 9 groups have to be commanded separately so, that they target the right opponents. For this, one needs skill and a good overview of the game.

The lesser skill means that your own rock-paper-scissor group will fail in defeating the other rock-paper-scissor group. There is absolutely no randomness in this.

And with fog of war. Well, you can take a gamble. Or you explore, which is also a skill to be learned.

And indeed, you don't need RPS for getting strategy in a game. With simple meat/support units, you already have your first tier of army design deployment into the battle.

Example: Tanks with V2 Launchers.

Then you have the fast units for hit (and run) tactics. Example: a group of humm-vees that go around defence for taking out a building in the back. Tier 2.

A bonus against a certain target with + ## % as example, will only mean that you add a third tier of complexness to a game.

The reason nobody ever builds APC, Artillery, Rangers, Radar Jammers, Mobile Gaps, Mine layers or Mammoth tanks is because Compared to Mediums/ Heavies, they suck. Only exceptions would be V2 rockets (simply to annoy turtle players) and Light tanks (for cheap fast rush). You cannot build extensive tactical gameplay on the basis of 3 useful units in the entire game. Anything an artillery or a ranger can do, a tank can do better, which is silly.

There is no counter-unit effect whatsoever, its all down to who builds more tanks than the other (mostly). It all comes down to the battles of the hand on the mouse.

Also you don't get 3 "types of everything", its not that simple. Look at Tiberian Dawn, Starting with anti-infantry, GDI have Grenadiers, which are badass. As well as hummers, which are used for Hit-and-runs on them. Nod have buggies (which are basically hummers), Flame tanks (slow but crazy good if you can get some shots off), as well as SSM and Artillery, all of which have their uses in the game.

What about Vehicle vs Vehicle? So you got someone spamming bikes, quite powerful, but by no means unbeatable. You can use things like Infantry, Tanks, Hummers, base defenses, whatever. My point is that,, especially in Nod vs Nod, a well-measured mix of units is much more tactical and useful than spamming one kind of unit over and over. It has the appropriate level of complexity between unit counters to make things really interesting, and a battle of the minds as well as the hands on the mouse. You need complexity because it hugely enhances the gameplay.

Ok I neglected to add the fact that I was talking about standard maps.

On an infinite money map (especially that one) the game balancing becomes entirely broken.

Oh let's be real now... the bike/buggy spam in TD is just as effective as the tank spam in RA.

That's the difference. Bike/Buggy Spam is powerful but by no means unbeatable.

Bikes and Buggies have realistic ways of being dealt with, but I sincerely doubt the same can be said for Red Alert's tanks.

Edit: Even The Aftermath expansion makes for a shitty band-aid solution at best, since Tesla Coils are all that've been buffed enough to possibly be capable of dealing with tanks cost-efficiently -- Allies remain broken in that sense.

There is no counter-unit effect whatsoever, its all down to who builds more tanks than the other (mostly). It all comes down to the battles of the hand on the mouse.

Anything an artillery or a ranger can do, a tank can do better, which is silly.

I kinda feel it too. RA is such a tank game, I only see people build heavy and medium tanks most of the time. Nobody builds artillery, rangers, tesla troopers, etc. Heavy/Medium tank can do anything on regular maps, infantry can easily be runovered (except shock troopers but players still prefer tanks since shoc troopers cost almost the same), base defense can easily be outnumbered, aircraft do little on tanks but take longer time reloading and being vulnerable to tanks while doing so,etc...

That video doesn't really prove anything much other than how infinite ore maps ruin the good C&C gameplay.

Ok I neglected to add the fact that I was talking about standard maps.

On an infinite money map (especially that one) the game balancing becomes entirely broken.

Ok, have you ever played KOTG? Why strictly standard maps when customs are the most played? (afaik most standards are badly unbalanced on both games)

That's the difference. Bike/Buggy Spam is powerful but by no means unbeatable.

Bikes and Buggies have realistic ways of being dealt with, but I sincerely doubt the same can be said for Red Alert's tanks.

Would you agree that it highly depends on the map whenever tank spam or bike/buggy spam is unbeatable?

That video doesn't really prove anything much other than how infinite ore maps ruin the good C&C gameplay.

Not really a question of an opinion. Tanks were countered, that is all.

Would this suit your taste? No infinite ore, no tanks required, a large map where using allies is a good option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9autkogjec

Also fun fact:

The shirtless guy beats a tanker with a tanya 8) 'mirin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKxSQSBfa8

Map layout/design has an effect on their efficiency for sure, but Bikes and Buggies will always have relatively defined counters regardless of which map you're playing on, whereas tanks reign supreme quite clearly in RA. Tesla Coils are really your best bet, but their cost-efficiency is pretty questionable in the vanilla game. It just doesn't seem to me like they'd make for a worthwhile investment on any map that requires map control.