Arco

Dr. Wonderful

Funky building alert

Backstory:

So I took a 15 min break from modding to make a custom mission. I opened my XCC editor. As I was building, and building, and building, I decided to put some civilians in. And in the civilian's buildings, there was a wacky structure called the Arco. Wha?

I believe that's the petrol station, and as far as I'm aware it doesn't appear in any in-game missions. I tend to put one near clusters of oil derricks, since it matches well.

It is not a petrol station. It is not even a building, in fact.

It's a vehicle. A parked oil tanker truck in the process of being loaded at an oil pump. Some people on the development team of the C&C3-to-C&C1 mod figured that out when we were taking a closer look at it. And in the game's strings file, its name is "Oil Tanker".

"ARCO" is just some fictional oil company name Westwood thought up.

As far as I know, it is used in missions, though.

[edit]

Yup. scb07eb and scb10ea both contain ARCO. And, each time, parked next to a bunch of oil derricks :P

Well I'll be damned, that is a tanker truck.  I always thought it was some kind of a structure, too.

mLIFxhS.png

I wasn't expecting to learn anything new about c&c today.....

"ARCO" is just some fictional oil company name Westwood thought up.

brand.gif?itok=EOGzMXJh

ARCO is a real chain of gas stations here in the US-- well in the West at least, which likely lead many to assume that it was a fueling station.

Hah! Well I'm hardly familiar with US gas stations. But it's not exactly the first time WW named internal stuff that way, is it? RMBO for the commando, AKIRA.VQA for the orbital laser video, PYLE for the barracks, JP for the internal short code of the House "Special"... :yo:

But, ya, we thought it was just a storage tank with a dumpster next to it, and then someone noticed the two antennae on the "dumpster"...  :P

which likely lead many to assume that it was a fueling station.

"which likely <led> many to assume". The only "lead" pronounced as "led" is the metal. :yo:

The green thing is a tube coming out of the ground and going into the small pump thingy there.

I still can't parse it as an oil tanker. Looks like a pile of junk to me :P

In my mod I replaced it with a different scenario building.

It's parked more or less like this:

JhNOyt2C.png

KyqrECUX.png

• 5 weeks later...

looks like the stromberg-type tanker, where you can store 2 nuclear submarines inside :D

It wouldn't be the first object in C&C which looks like something from "The Spy who loved me" - I guess the soviet submarine wharf is designed from the villain's headquarter.

GD9449811@TITLE-SPY-WHO-LOVED-M-7209.jpg