(TD) Custom map - unique unit name

Lilly Blanche

Hello everyone! 

I've been wondering if there's a way to assign a unique name to a unit placed on a custom map made for Tiberian Dawn. I know there's a way to do this in Tiberian Sun (was done by the developers themselves with Slavik, who was renamed into "Nod commander" or something along those lines in one of the missions), but not sure about TD. I know you can modify certain building properties by adding specific lines to the .ini file, but what about units?

Let's have an example: So do you wish to change the unit Commando name on a certain custom map?

As far as i know that is not possible. I think Red Alert 1 is the first game which allows players to change unit values which affects only on a certain custom mission.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, giving a regular unit some unique name, but just for a single custom mission. 

Ah, I see. It's kinda unfortunate - I remember doing some crazy stuff in TS with this feature, like giving myself rocket firing RVs and stuff without actually changing the base game itself. Oh well. Thank you for answering! :D 

There are a few hardcoded changes like that, but that's it. They're generally triggered by mission numbers, too, so they don't work on Covert Ops. Examples are the Tech Center that's called "Prison" On Nod mission 3, and the one I added in the patch, where Dr Chan, who was just called "Civilian" in the original game, became "Scientist" in all missions, except in the actual Chan assassination mission, where his real name is shown.

Here's an overview of other similar exceptions in the game:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-unofficial-patch-106/features/a-look-under-the-hood-special-mission-behaviour

On 4/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, Lilly Blanche said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, giving a regular unit some unique name, but just for a single custom mission. 

Ah, I see. It's kinda unfortunate - I remember doing some crazy stuff in TS with this feature, like giving myself rocket firing RVs and stuff without actually changing the base game itself. Oh well. Thank you for answering! :D 

This is possible in Red Alert 1 as well - part of the reason they could have so many crazy missions in Counterstrike and Aftermath. (The other reason being RA1 had a more complex trigger system than Tiberian Dawn, so they had more options in mission making anyway.)