Tree limits

So im making a jungle map, this means trees, lots of trees... however i have hit the limit of placeable terrain items.

i have tried adjusting the limit in the .mpr for my map and re-opening the editor however this did not work.

is it POSSIBLE to place more then this seemingly arbitrary limit? if so how?

I guess he's talking about RA1.

I actually never placed so many trees in a map. But you can change this limit from rules.ini in your map: Insert

[Maximums]
Terrain=999

Then go to [terrain] section and copy all terrain objects into a separate text file.

delete all terrain objects in your map and go on placing trees. last but not least open your map again with a text program and insert the terrain objects from your other file.

Edited by Messiah

12 hours ago, InfraredEcho said:

worked out for myself that i can exceed this limitation using the new editor =]

yeh so this didnt work... simply didnt render trees placed in order of first to last (most recently placed trees seem to be rendered with priority)

2 hours ago, Messiah said:

I guess he's talking about RA1.

I actually never placed so many trees in a map. But you can change this limit from rules.ini in your map: Insert

[Maximums]
Terrain=999

Then go to [terrain] section and copy all terrain objects into a separate text file.

delete all terrain objects in your map and go on placing trees. last but not least open your map again with a text program and insert the terrain objects from your other file.

honestly, sounds a bit too complicated for me at this stage, first map ive made since getting the new cncnet editor so just trying to play around at this point, learn how to trigger and what not...

ended up completing my map by replacing a large amount of what was going to be trees with sporadic ridge lines... it works well enough and because of the theatre (which holy s*** can i just say is so awesome) still makes it feel claustrophobic enough for me

On 5/21/2017 at 1:37 AM, InfraredEcho said:

ended up completing my map by replacing a large amount of what was going to be trees with sporadic ridge lines... it works well enough and because of the theatre (which holy s*** can i just say is so awesome) still makes it feel claustrophobic enough for me

Yes, reading your first post this is what I wanted to suggest to you, to only fill up the LOS of your units with trees, the rest doesn't matter. I was experimenting with this myself. Would you like to post the map here? I'd love to have a look at it, how others exploit it's features. Please also try the Barren and the Cave tileset, and I also have an improved DESERT tileset, too (original trees & ROCK stuff in place of trees, they crumble upon destruction)

Edited by Tschokky
  • Upvote 1

Ive made a bunch of irrelevant changes to various things just trying to get used to the editor and what it can do so you can more or less ignore those, for example the player start location is only because im testing it with the skirmish mode for now

im intedning to make this a multiplayer co-op sort of mission (layers upon layers of triggers will be needed OMG o.O)

i set myself a task and a half with this map but im loving it so far, always loved making maps now i can make missions its so good haha

CO-OP10.MPR

On 2017-5-23 at 11:00 PM, Nyerguds said:

Yes, but I guess some pieces of that engine are unchanged :P

well i did attach the tag as Red Alert 1 so thought this would be obvious... have since put Red Alert 1 on the first line of my other posts just to be clear :P

Nah, it's cool, the tags are there for that. It's just that the RA engine is still largely the same as the C&C one in most areas except AI, so it's not such a stretch to consider that known issues from C&C1 could be the reason for the ini rule limits in RA1.