Improved desert.mix / pal for RA

Tschokky

I also had that idea, but I would go even further:

There are some different colors who got the same colour index during conversion of the images from TD to RA palette, e.g. there was a loss of information and quality of the theatre files itself. So it might be necessary to convert all (at least many) theatre files again with an edited palette to get a visible result...

Too, I would try to change more colors (as much as possible), e.g. I'd use the whole fire palette (colors #16 - 31 in desert.pal) from TD as some colors are used for terrain too. At all, You have to check how far you can change the palette before you decrease quality other images, e.g. sidebar icons etc.

Edited by Messiah

1 hour ago, 12345 said:

i dont think theyre going to update the graphics of any cncnet supported games

Why not? This makes absolutely no sense.

1 hour ago, Salvation said:

This looks really nice! Is it OK if i use this desert.mix in my own mod, CCRDX ?

By all means!

9 hours ago, 12345 said:

It makes plenty of sense. People don't want Red Alert Tschokky edition.

Actually people LOVE playing "Tschokky edition" as the devs included the cave, barren and jungle tilesets which I made, so I'm starting to think that you have absolutely no idea about what you are talking. So replacing the TS desert with the original desert should not be an issue, since it's 100% compatible. If you would like to play further with the TS desert, that should be up to you, but that is not the desert tileset that should be in the official release.

"They don't wanna come play red alert for nostalgia" - maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe they should change all other tilesets for you :)

"no need to force changes on to people" - as I said before, I made jun, bar, cav, and I didn't force anything :) so I think you are out of the line here.

Yes, I have modified 3 terrain-related colors in the palette which do not affect the icons, unit and ore shps.

Shps modified are:
- trees
- bibs
- MSLO/HBOX (+MAKEs)

Added tiles from C&C desert tileset:
- dark patches
- impassable bushes
- original desert rivers ('compatible' with other river tiles)

On 4.6.2017 at 10:29 PM, 12345 said:

It makes plenty of sense. People don't want Red Alert Tschokky edition. They don't wanna come play red alert for nostalgia only for it to look like a different game. which is what happens very quickly with very minor changes. some people want upgrades and that is still possible if they want it so ya... no need to force changes on to people.

Maybe you don't understand what Tschokky did here - Desert in RA actually is nothing official from Westwood but a fan-made mod somebody made 5 years ago. Tschokky just did improvements to it to get it closer to the original desert theatre from TD, that's all.

Edited by Messiah