Ra2 Mode - the discussion

Grant

Ra2 Mode does get some mixed feedback, so what exactly is it that makes it different. Help us understand in a way we can test and compare, and work out why its different. 

Provide:

• What's different? 
    Explain what is different, split it down into as many sections as you want. 

• Video side by side comparison
    Provide a side by side video example showing how things are different, in the native RA2 Application vs RA2 Mode.
    If playing Multiplayer, set the game to Fastest. (60 FPS) 
    If showing in skirmish, set the game to Fast. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlyingMustache said:

I think mostly everything is set accordingly. The one thing I know is wrong is the hospital. It gives much more power to infantry by passively healing them. I personally think it's a great change, but it doesn't fit with the cncnet classic gameplay model.

There are some other things that are different, and we want to know what they are so we can fix it.

You can't sell vehicles on Allies Repair Depo.

You can't select vehicles as soon as they're created (when they're still in WF).

Something with ordering Harriers to land on a Air HQ or something???? 

Other things too. Would like to have a list so we can patch the game and fix the issues.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much everything from the YR 1.001 changelog that doesn't relate to YR buildings and units:

• To maximize game performance for all game modes, it's best to set the game's resolution to 640x480 pixels. The higher the resolution setting, the slower the game's performance, especially on lower end PCs.
  • Sometimes an exiting vehicle would be stuck on the edge of the War Factory, causing the War Factory to become unusable if the vehicle were chrono'd just as it was about to come out of the structure. This will no longer happen.
  • Oil Derricks did not animate on some maps. This has now been fixed.
  • If a vehicle being repaired by a Repair Depot was chrono'd to a new location, that vehicle would continue to be repaired even though it was no longer on the Repair Depot. This has been fixed.
  • The player could sell a vehicle that was being repaired on an Allied Repair Depot, unlike the Soviet Repair Depot. Now, the player can't use either type of Repair Depots to sell vehicles.
  • Infantry were allowed to interact (garrison, un-garrison, engineer, and C4) with a building that was being chrono'd by a Chrono Legionnaire. Doing so would disrupt the chrono effect. These will no longer be allowed.
  • The Airforce Command Headquarters can no longer have rally points.
  • Now you can set the Naval Yard’s rally point while it's being placed/constructed.
  • A Squid could be pulled onto land if it was chrono'd or magnetron'd while attacking a vehicle. Now, a chrono'd squid will be killed; a magnetron'd Squid will let go.
  • If a hero unit (Tanya, Boris, Yuri Prime) was placed into a transport, and that transport was destroyed on water, the player would not be allowed to make another one of these units. This has been fixed. (PW's note: this might only affect the RA2 Yuri Prime, as he's the only infantry unit with a build limit. Can't remember if he can board transports. Fan maps with custom build limits may be affected as well)
  • The planes from the Allied Aircraft Carrier could be made to attack out of range targets if you switch targets while it's firing its missiles. Now, this will no longer be allowed.
  • The production of the Navy SEAL unit will now be accompanied with an audio announcement as it comes out of the Barracks.
  • An IFV loaded with infantry could be made to look like a standard IFV by building a wall around it, then deploying it. This will no longer be allowed.
  • The Rhino Tank's build speed has been slightly decreased.
  • Trainers that remove the game's shroud will no longer work. If any such hack is detected, the game will be forced out of sync and the cheater will be logged for corrective action.  (PW's note:  footage from XWIS says this was bypassed afterwards)

Pretty much all of the above changes are for the better, though (except for the resolution fixation in Quick Match).

i couldn't explain it to a ini standpoint or whatever editing you can do in the games.

but ra2 mode isn't remotely close to ra2 game, there is a difference in speed on ra2 to YR, there is a difference in the way the game auto targets to YR and ra2, there is a difference to the eco between the 2, tanks seem much for allieds.

there is so much that feels completely different to me. all the coding an such may prove that to be false, but 13-14 years of pro gaming this game at top levels i can tell you it will never be "ra2" it.

its quite shitty to be honest, however YR is a fine game and you dont have to cater to ra2 fans if you didn't want to, most would just play yuri and be fine with it.

imo

1. Garrisoned in-building infantry are trainable. In original RA2 it is not.
  2. Unsure in this>  If possible to deploy ore miners on ally ore refs. In original RA2 this is possible.
  3. In original RA2 you cant cancel all queued objects through Shift+ RMB (right mouse button), you should keep pressing RMB to make counter reach zero.
  4. Pip distortion bug
  5. More info here: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/4457-redalert2-mode/?page=4

Upd:

6. Psi sensors do not have visual disguise of mirage tanks, spies and underwater units https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/7308-ra2-mode-the-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=56126 . In original RA2 it disguises all enemy units for player.

7. Yuri clone (just a yuri) unable to release captured object by attaking a ground. In original RA2 it can.

8. Yuri psi wave (deployment weapon) kills only enemy infantry units. In original RA2 it kills all infantry units wich are not "immune to psionics".

I can't provide any video on that for some reasons. You can just go to game and check. Nothing difficult.

@Grant and friends. I still curious why did you create this topic? Are you really going to improve the gameplay or just for increasing forum activity?

Edited by Ezer_2000
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ezer_2000 said:
  1. Unsure in this>  If possible to deploy ore miners on ally ore refs. In original RA2 this is possible.
  2. In original RA2 you cant cancel all queued objects through Shift+ RMB (right mouse button), you should keep pressing RMB to make counter reach zero.
  3. Pip distortion bug
  4. More info here: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/4457-redalert2-mode/?page=4

I can't provide any video on that for some reasons. You can just go to game and check. Nothing difficult.

1. Possible. 

2. Never knew that worked, always right clicked for 0.

3. ? Only gets distored with 3rd party mods.

What I know is different for a fact is the way that the Psi sensor acts, on RA2 the soviet psi sensor detects spies and submerged units and displays them "without disguise" while on yr it doesn't reveal submerged units and AFAIK 'reveals spies' to other defences. This does need proper testing to analyse and specify the differences.

The speed is much different in ra2 originally. The tanks especially turned much faster when aiming Imo. I feel like YR RA2 mode is just slower to a degree. I could be wrong. But when I play origins RA2 the difference seems noticable. And I noticed I set ra2 mode the other day and had selected random for my country and I got Yuri. Ended the game. Other than that I've had no issue. Still LOVE the fact that I can play ra2/YR online. And I appreciate all the work you guys are doing. 

iRageGaming.

Edited by Generalslavik
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...