How to turn map preview into image of your choice

Holland

How to turn map preview into image of your choice

I recommend installing it into the TiberianSun_Online\ folder

To avoid your map file from being huge, i recommend resizing your image under 257 x 257

To make it easier, place the image, in the folder where u installed XCC Utilities

• now open XCC Utilies with Administrator rights!!!

When opened, you should already see your image file, if not, browse through it in xcc mixer

Right click on your PCX image file and click > Copy as MAP (TS) Preview

You should see a confirmation from xcc on the bottom that says: Copy Succeeded.

Now XCC Mixer placed a file with your preview codes, in the XCC Utilities's folder.

• Replace the codes with the ones inside your map

Only your map preview will change, you can play the map normally :)

IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW's:

• • you can open .MPR files by right click -> open with -> wordpad)
  • • All maps and your Final sun maps will be saved In YourDirectory\TiberianSun_Online\Maps\
  • You can press CTRL+F inside wordpad to find the section you need real quick

I meant to put this in tutorials, sorrryy

I meant to put this in tutorials, sorrryy

Edited by Holland
  • Like 1

Hey Holland, Thanks

I am wondering as to what part exactly to extract from the(via XCC mixer)converted PCX file.  Also once someone has the particular bits of code, where in the .mpr are they supposed to insert said code?  Are there any other bits to edit while in the .mpr to assure succes?

Thanks again

13 hours ago, Klaatu said:

Hey Holland, Thanks

I am wondering as to what part exactly to extract from the(via XCC mixer)converted PCX file.

UHm, i'm not sure if i get this question, but if you right click on your pcx file (in xcc mixer) and press 'Copy as TS Map preview', a text file will appear in the folder where xcc is installed with the same name as your image.

Also once someone has the particular bits of code, where in the .mpr are they supposed to insert said code?

You will see in the text file [Preview] and [PreviewPack] and a bunch of codes. In the .mpr you will also find these codes, replace these! ( Under [Preview] tells you the width and height of the image, and under [PreviewPack] Is the actual image in codes that the game can read )  Btw, use Ctrl+F in wordpad to find it quicker ;)

Are there any other bits to edit while in the .mpr to assure succes?

Nope, thats it!

Thanks again

No Problem bro let me know if it still doesn't work!

• 8 months later...

I'm trying to separate the map preview from the map. The TS Client needs a .PNG file to go alongside the .MAP file in the Maps folders for there to be a minimap preview. XCC Mixer for me is not letting me "Copy as Map (TS Preview)", this option is grayed out, as well as quite a few other options, when I right click the map file inside of the mix.

My XCC mixer is installed into its own directory, separate from my TS directory, and I am on Windows 7. I have run the XCC Mixer as admin. Any ideas why the options are grayed out?

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

I discovered the map renderer program within the folders of Tiberian Sun Client! Its the solution I needed, lol, it was there the whole time. Cool program, yo, and its easy to use, and creates the map previews. Although, 3 maps I couldn't convert. I got an error message about half way thru the conversion process, saying:

"Rendering appears to have failed."

So I transmitted an error report. These 3 maps were from the Tiberian Sun Retro mod. They are Excessive, Desert City, and Over Extended. Maybe the reason the map render program can't work with these maps is because these maps are too epic?

On 1/22/2018 at 5:26 PM, DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr said:

I'm trying to separate the map preview from the map. The TS Client needs a .PNG file to go alongside the .MAP file in the Maps folders for there to be a minimap preview. XCC Mixer for me is not letting me "Copy as Map (TS Preview)", this option is grayed out, as well as quite a few other options, when I right click the map file inside of the mix.

My XCC mixer is installed into its own directory, separate from my TS directory, and I am on Windows 7. I have run the XCC Mixer as admin. Any ideas why the options are grayed out?

uhmm, no idea man. You can only use that option on PCX files tho, it won't work on anything else. PRetty cool that u found that program tho. YOu can also just use xcc mixer, when u click a map, it will show the map preview. I'd just use  print screen, paste on paint, and save image :P. (or greenshot ofc.)

• 4 months later...

@FunkyFr3sh

Can we have the custom map preview image back?? I know you guys disabled it cuz I misused it :(, im sorry about that. Anyway, its been a while now and was hoping we can have it back?  The reason for me asking is that people quickly judge the map preview image, without seeing mods or triggers. So they leave. If they will see a unique map preview with like 3d lasers and a map title, they will be more interested.