Red Dawn (RA-1)

Allen262

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I experienced a weird bug: I was playing as UN-GDI in Skirmish, and even though I had the Weapons Factory, Adv. Comm Center and Barracks built I couldn't build the Mammoth Tank. In addition, the Helipad cost 800 for some reason and didn't come with Orcas. Are these just weird settings for the map Lunar Battlefield? I just noticed it is described as "special" in some way.

EDIT: I was checking out the Rules.ini, specifically the country settings, and there seems to be a bug. IIRC in regular RA1 England and France's bonuses were bugged, and while England/UN-GDI is fixed here as all settings are 1, France/GDI ZOCOM has 1.1 armour, which I believe creates the opposite of the intended effect.

GameSpeedBias is spelt wrong, in the file it's GameSpeeBias.

Mammoth Tanks requires a repair pad like in C&C 95. Lunar Battlefield was made by Westwood. A ton of things are done to it.  Weapons, owners, armor and cost are change on a lot of units and buildings.

If you have stock RA1 play the Paradox Equation single player mission from Counterstrike and The Hills Have Eyes Aftermath multiplayer map. They are both are like Lunar Battlefield. For Red Dawn I edited Paradox Equation and The Hills Have Eyes to play normal.

Your right. Armor logic is reversed. Larger the number the weaker the side becomes. I knew Tib Sun is this way. I meant to test RA1 for it but forgot about it. Your again right about GameSpeedBias. I did not miss spell it. The normal Rules.ini from Westwood spells it wrong too. It needs to be "GameSpeedBias". Westwood has been known to miss spell a tag in the rules do to a bug it cause.  There are a few know to be done like this in Tib Sun.

I guess it was easier to remove a letter from the tag when testing and the logic behind the tag was never fixed or if it was fixed no one fixed the tag it self. It is spelled right in Tib Sun. Maybe the logic for the tag was never finished in for RA1...

Have you thought about using the music from Nyerguds' C&C95 patch? He uses the soundtrack versions of Act on Instinct and No Mercy, though they might not be in your tastes.

Also, Nod gets medics, mechanics, helicarriers, dogs and IFVLs as well? I think it would have been better to assign those units to different sides to make them more unique. Did you change the unit speed settings too? They feel slower than in previous versions.

I know of the tracks but kept the one used in C&C 95.

Aftermath units are available for all single player missions. The Dog, Spy, Medic, Thief, and Mechanic available to all sides in Skirmish mode. The IFVL and Thief were available to all sides in Red Dawn 2011 if you had Aftermath enabled and the helicarrier was added for all sides in update 3 for Aftermath users. You can see the changes made for Skirmish mode in the mplayer.ini

There aren’t enough units worth give to each side for Skirmish mode. The Mechanic is vary useful while Spy, Medic and Thief arn't much for Skirmish mode.

-Why was the Jammer Tower removed from multiplayer?

-What is the point of the Silo if the Refinery has 200000 storage?

-The "EngineerCaptureLevel=100%, EngineerDamage=25%, NewUnitsEnabled=1" code is repeated a number of times throughout the different .inis, is it just code that you forgot to clean up?

-Are you going to be making any more changes with the Arda patch out? http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/16445-looking-for-testers/

I had the Jammer Tower removed from multiplayer when I was testing the AI and never put it back in... My bad again.

I put 200000 storage for multiplayer since it is pain the ass to keep building silos.

The "EngineerCaptureLevel=100% and NewUnitsEnabled=1" code is repeated in the rules to make all aftermath units appear in all single player missions.

If EngineerCaptureLevel=100% and NewUnitsEnabled=1 is not under [General] in the rules.ini. Aftermath units will not be in Single Player campaigns or Counterstrike missions.

If EngineerCaptureLevel=100% and NewUnitsEnabled=1 are not under [Aftermath] in the rules.ini. Aftermath units will not be in Aftermath missions. [Aftermath] has number of need tags. If they are removed it is likely that the game will crash when you use a unit that need one of those tags.

You will find [Aftermath] with NewUnitsEnabled=1, EngineerDamage=25% and EngineerCaptureLevel=100% in the mplayer.ini as well. If you remove NewUnitsEnabled=1 from the mplayer.ini you will not have Aftermath units for multiplayer.

Arda patch will not work with Red Dawn. The Red Dawn game.exe use off sets that are not the same as the stock game.exe.

IF I get HiFi to get CnC Net to work with Red Dawn I will fix the GDI ZOCOM amour bug, add Jammer Tower and lower the Refinery storage. You can do it your self as well.

If HiFi gets it working remember to add a shortcut to CnCNet as well in the installer, so people know you can play MP on it. Maybe add Start Menu shortcuts to the game and RASETUP.exe as well, and an option to remove savegames when uninstalling. I think that's all for now, thanks for answering my questions!

If HiFi gets it working I will make a Net Patch that will fix all the bugs and add a shortcut to CnCNet on the desktop.

Did you have to change the RASETUP.exe? It should have been fine for all Windows based systems.

I'm not good with Inno Script yet. I want to have it set up so that if you uninstall Red Dawn it will uninstall the RedDawn folder but I have gotten that far.

As a thank you for answering my questions, I went through the briefings and fixed a bunch of speilling and grammatical errors.

Here you go!

I also put the .inis into a .mix file, but it doesn't load.

I also think 50000 credits is a bit too much, especially in Skirmish because the AI overwhelms you with numbers, but I guess it's more balanced in actual multiplayer.

Briefings.zip

I will look them over. First you don't need to update the briefings for the single player campaign missions. The mission.ini will over ride any briefing in them. mission.ini goses into the Main.mix/general.mix, also in EXPAND.mix and EXPAND2.mix. I'm not sure why Westwood has the mission.ini in EXPAND.mix and EXPAND2.mix as CounterStrike and Aftermath dose not use mission.ini for there mission briefings.

What did you use to edit the CounterStrike and Aftermath missions? RAED is know to mess some mission coding up. If you didn't use Notepad or WordPad to edit them I will have to test each CounterStrike and Aftermath mission.

You mix may not work as it name it is to long. .mix files should like this SC123456.mix. SC is what the game uses to know that you have added a mix file to act as a patch and you can only have 6 letters or numbers after that.

• 1 month later...