Red Dawn (RA-1)

Allen262

This is incredible!  I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play C&C Gold but with way better AI and I stumbled upon this gem.  Standalone?  Amazing.  I am that a-hole who just downloads people's creations and plays them without ever commenting on the forums to tell them what a great job they did, but in your case I had to make an exception.

I feel like this mod needs to take advantage of the improvements made in RA (GPS and a couple others I can't remember right now), but I know that will cheapen the feel of it, since this is supposed to replicate Gold.  Maybe in multiplayer...

Even though I don't know a whole lot about forums, I have dabbled with editing and would like to offer any services I can provide.  You have inspired me my friend!

I am that a-hole who just downloads people's creations and plays them without ever commenting on the forums to tell them what a great job they did

Heh. Really, 90% of all people do that, and not just with games or mods. In any creative process, even a little feedback is an incredible confidence boost to the author though. Just knowing people enjoy it makes it all worth it :)

bro I'd like to ask another thing, why did u phase out the "Airstrip" and "Airfield"?

The C&C 95 Nod Airstrip could not be made as RA1 dosen't have 2 Weapons Factroies.  The RA1 Airfield is now the GDI Adv. Com Center. This had to be done so I could make the Ion Cannon. The Ion Cannon is the RA1 Spy Plane armed with a super fast and accurate missile. When the missile hit the ground it plays the Ion Cannon fire animate.

This is incredible!  I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play C&C Gold but with way better AI and I stumbled upon this gem.  Standalone?  Amazing.  I am that a-hole who just downloads people's creations and plays them without ever commenting on the forums to tell them what a great job they did, but in your case I had to make an exception.

I feel like this mod needs to take advantage of the improvements made in RA (GPS and a couple others I can't remember right now), but I know that will cheapen the feel of it, since this is supposed to replicate Gold.  Maybe in multiplayer...

Even though I don't know a whole lot about forums, I have dabbled with editing and would like to offer any services I can provide.  You have inspired me my friend!

I was like you and C&C Gold but with way better AI but Red Dawn dosn't replicate Gold 100% as I never wanted it to. I liked the things RA added mostly boats and ships you could build and use. Other thing from Renegade and Tib Sun found there way into it as well. You got the Renegade Light Tank that is the Adv Light Tank and the EMP Tank from Tib Sun Firestorm.

If you have an under standing of how the rules.ini work You can set Red Danw up to work just like C&C Gold for skirmish mode with ease. You edit the mplayer.ini. It acts as rules.ini but only effects skirmish and multiplayer games. It was used to balance RA-1 Aftermath skirmish and multiplayer games only.

Say you want to remove the Chem Tank from Nod. Open the mplayer.ini and add...

; Chem. Tank

[TTNK]

TechLevel=-1

Than save and close. Now the Chem Tank won't show up in skirmish unless you get it out of map Crate.

Truthfully with out a major breakthrough in editing the game engine it self Red Dawn is just about done. I know I will be making one last update. Mostly to fix thing for skirmish mode. Also clean up the Mix files since there is still a few things in them that are not used and some cleaning up the Rules.ini. I left some slop in the rules and haven't documented a few changes.

I am that a-hole who just downloads people's creations and plays them without ever commenting on the forums to tell them what a great job they did

Heh. Really, 90% of all people do that, and not just with games or mods. In any creative process, even a little feedback is an incredible confidence boost to the author though. Just knowing people enjoy it makes it all worth it :)

With out feedback I would have been crushed not knowing that my years of work was liked or not.

If you have an under standing of how the rules.ini work You can set Red Danw up to work just like C&C Gold for skirmish mode with ease. You edit the mplayer.ini. It acts as rules.ini but only effects skirmish and multiplayer games. It was used to balance RA-1 Aftermath skirmish and multiplayer games only.

Truthfully with out a major breakthrough in editing the game engine it self Red Dawn is just about done. I know I will be making one last update. Mostly to fix thing for skirmish mode. Also clean up the Mix files since there is still a few things in them that are not used and some cleaning up the Rules.ini. I left some slop in the rules and haven't documented a few changes.

Yeah, I was a bit excited when I wrote that post.  I was aware you were practically finished.  I didn't know if you had planned to recreate the mission campaign.  I have already edited my version of Red Dawn to suit my likings and I have played around with rule.ini for quite some time.  I can't believe modding in general for RA has continued to 2012. 

With out feedback I would have been crushed not knowing that my years of work was liked or not.

Your work is very well appreciated and I know that there are closet fans out there too lazy to sign up for this forum to let you know.  I see the time you spent making this mod flawless, without a doubt (IMHO) the best mod I have played for RA.  Thank you!

Yeah, I was a bit excited when I wrote that post.  I was aware you were practically finished.  I didn't know if you had planned to recreate the mission campaign.  I have already edited my version of Red Dawn to suit my likings and I have played around with rule.ini for quite some time.  I can't believe modding in general for RA has continued to 2012.

Plus

Your work is very well appreciated and I know that there are closet fans out there too lazy to sign up for this forum to let you know. I see the time you spent making this mod flawless, without a doubt (IMHO) the best mod I have played for RA.  Thank you!

I would like to recreate some of missions from the C&C Gold campaigns but it is a lot of work. I did do a few. Two in the GDI campaign and 2 more at the end of the Ant Missions. Plus a larger Under Siege from Covert Ops. If you have a fav mission maybe I could remake it and get it into the next one.

I know how many have downloaded it so I know it is doing okay. When it was at Megauploads it had around 1500 to 2000 downloads and at mediafire has it at 1500+ for the basic Red Dawn. As always numbers only tell half the story. Feedback is the other half and good to have.

Like the other guy said, I was feeling nostalgic, and actually I've been searching all day for an old .ini mod that cranked up the computer AI. think it was called smart10.ini.

anyways, after not finding it anywhere, I kept looking and eventually stumbled on to your awesome mod.

It's really fun, i gotta say :)

Keep up the good work man, it's paid off in spades.

I know of Hard AI v1.0

http://ra.afraid.org/html/downloads/mods-2.html

After some seaching I did find Smart Rules.

http://www.cncgames.com/redalertrules.shtml

This sounds like what you may be looking for.

However both won't work with Red Dawn. If you try to use it with Red Dawn it will replace the Red Dawn rules and make it Red Alert.

You can open the Red Dawn's rules crank up the computer by messing with the AI Controls. I would start with lowering AttackInterval= and AttackDelay=. Both are at 5. The BaseSizeAdd= could be larger as well.

If Hard AI v1.0 or Smart Rules is what you were looking for it is likely that make the same changes to the Red Dawn rules to boost the AI.

Thanks a lot!

Like the other guy said, I was feeling nostalgic, and actually I've been searching all day for an old .ini mod that cranked up the computer AI. think it was called smart10.ini.

anyways, after not finding it anywhere, I kept looking and eventually stumbled on to your awesome mod.

It's really fun, i gotta say :)

Keep up the good work man, it's paid off in spades.

play my cooperation maps, they got insane hard ai and work on red dawn too since no ini file is needed :D

get em here: Red Alert downloads

Do you have a blogger account or something? Maybe you can blog this mod of yours  ;)

No blog of any kind. Every things is by "word of mouth".

play my cooperation maps, they got insane hard ai and work on red dawn too since no ini file is needed :D

get em here: Red Alert downloads

You can do some cool thing by putting codeing into a map.

Hex edit of the .exe.  All of the structure and units names were in english I just put in the needed names.  I also hex edit it to read the needed mix files to display the right buildings and units. I couldn't get the Con Yard to work though. If I tried to replace any part of the Con Yard C&C-RAED would not work.....

Just tried red dawn 2012 and wanted to give some feedback. First of all its awsome mods and such are still being released given what year it is. And this is by far the best td ra conversion out there. I often attempted it myself but was never pleaed with th result amd was hindered by ra limitations. Veru excellent work.

Geting eveything converted to RA looking right was time consuming. Working around RA limitations wasn't too bad. The ways to get around them was in a lot of older RA conversions. One mod with have Chem Spray work around and another would Refinery and Harvester.

The one no one seemed to crack was the Ion Cannon. It took me so long to come up with a Ion Cannon. It should have came to me much sooner but better late than never.

Thanks and glad you like it!