[Discussion] Are the Soviets underpowered against Yuri?

Sharbel

Hello everyone!

I decided to play this lovely game again after a very long time. Before I play online I decided to complete the game campaigns of both the RA2 and Yuri's Revenge so I don't perform badly in multiplayer later.

I finished all the campaigns (I've completed them a lot of times before) and I'm kind of stuck this time for some balancing(I think) reasons.

So the question is: Soviets are known to be very powerful, but, when you're against Yuri forces there's no way to beat the Yuri Clones and the Psychic Towers. These 2 things seem to be way too effective against the Soviet units, mostly against the Soviet vehicles/tanks.

The only way I can beat them is through Attack Dogs and Terror Drones spam (I call them spiders XD) but they suck when Yuri Clones are protected by armored vehicles.

As for Psychic Towers it's near impossible to beat them without them controlling a few of your units. V3 Rocket Launcher seems to be very unless, slow and expensive because its rocket is large, slow and easy to destroy since Yuri's defenses are extremely good (e.g. Gattling Tank and Gattling Cannon). Even spamming 8+ V3 Rocket Launchers wouldn't work.

I had/have absolutely no problem with the Allied forces, the lasers and tree tanks were very good and effective against the Yuri forces. As for the Soviets they seem like they're out of options.

Any idea or advice about the problem? Feel free to discuss. :)

So the question is: Soviets are known to be very powerful, but, when you're against Yuri forces there's no way to beat the Yuri Clones and the Psychic Towers. These 2 things seem to be way too effective against the Soviet units, mostly against the Soviet vehicles/tanks.

I disagree with the Soviets being very powerful. I'd even say they are the weakest faction.

Regarding your initial question: Everyone is underpowered against Yuri.

Cuba, Russia and Libya are underpowered against Yuri. Maybe Iraq too but it's not as bad as the other 3 soviet countries.

It's like Yuri's Revenge wasn't meant for competitiveness due to the overpower of Yuri,  sometimes I even think Yuri's revenge was only for the storyline continuity, the multiplayer balance is not as good as Red Alert 2 but that's only my thought.

I disagree with the Soviets being very powerful. I'd even say they are the weakest faction.

I agree with this.

To make matters worse, I have several RaNk #1s on Red Alert 2: http://xwis.net/ra2/players/siralex/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/scenegirl/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/paramorex/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/vanessa/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/tatu/ just to name a few.

So I know what I'm talking about.

Soviets did get a little bit better on Yuri's Revenge with the addition of the Industrial Plant, but they are still the weakest faction.

People think that Soviets are stronger just because they have 1 single tank (rhino tank) which is "better" than the allied counterpart (grizzly tank). But this is a fallacy. The rhino tank isn't "better" than the grizzly tank at all. The rhino tank costs 900 $ as opposed to grizzly tank's 700 $ price tag. Obviously, costing 200 $ more, the tank is expected to have proportionally stronger armor. It also shoots a bit stronger but the allied counterpart shoots faster and moves a lot faster too. The tanks are very balanced, rhino being a slow and heavy expensive piece of shit while the allied tank is a light, fast and maneuverable vehicle. What's unbalanced is the entire army that the allies have... Mirage, Prism, Rocketeers, free Paradrops, Ore Purifier, Spy, etc.

The rhino tank is literally a fucking sitting duck. When it gets killed by 2 allied planes, rocketeers or a free paradrop you're suddenly down by 900 $.

I agree. Rhinos alone are useless. They just get shredded by GIs and other junk. The Soviet's real problem is other than desos they lack anything else.

Supers at least mitigate some of the problem, but nobody is ever ballsy enough to play with them on.

Allies all the way.

I agree with this.

To make matters worse, I have several RaNk #1s on Red Alert 2: http://xwis.net/ra2/players/siralex/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/scenegirl/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/paramorex/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/vanessa/ http://xwis.net/ra2/players/tatu/ just to name a few.

Soviets did get a little bit better on Yuri's Revenge with the addition of the Industrial Plant, but they are still the weakest faction.

People think that Soviets are stronger just because they have 1 single tank (rhino tank) which is "better" than the allied counterpart (grizzly tank). But this is a fallacy. The rhino tank isn't "better" than the grizzly tank at all. The rhino tank costs 900 $ as opposed to grizzly tank's 700 $ price tag. Obviously, costing 200 $ more, the tank is expected to have proportionally stronger armor. It also shoots a bit stronger but the allied counterpart shoots faster and moves a lot faster too. The tanks are very balanced, rhino being a slow and heavy expensive piece of shit while the allied tank is a light, fast and maneuverable vehicle. What's unbalanced is the entire army that the allies have... Mirage, Prism, Rocketeers, free Paradrops, Ore Purifier, Spy, etc.

The rhino tank is literally a fucking sitting duck. When it gets killed by 2 allied planes, rocketeers or a free paradrop you're suddenly down by 900 $.

Absolute nonsense. Your thinking of ra2, not yr. I completely disagree with saying Soviets are the weakest faction, generally speaking on YR Yuri>Sovs>allied> Yuri.

That bieng sayed SvY is only difficult because players spam rhinos.

The key to winning vs Yuri as soviet is siege choppers. They own everything yuri can throw at you and they are great for 'hit n run' attacks.

If u get enough siege, you won't even need an ic.

I agree with this.

Absolute nonsense. Your thinking of ra2, not yr. I completely disagree with saying Soviets are the weakest faction, generally speaking on YR Yuri>Sovs>allied> Yuri.

That bieng sayed SvY is only difficult because players spam rhinos.

The key to winning vs Yuri as soviet is siege choppers. They own everything yuri can throw at you and they are great for 'hit n run' attacks.

If u get enough siege, you won't even need an ic.

what he said sovs are not the weakest how is it on yr top 5 were always sovs. yuri is op vs sovs in late game but vs allied late game is weak.

Well soviet units have the strongest firepower and armour compared to the allied and yuri counterparts.

I mean there is absolutely no doubt that apocalypse tanks and kirovs have higher armour and better damage than any counterparts right?

It's just that allied build faster moving and faster shooting units, and yuris units often have completely uncomparable functionalities.

The game is fairly ballence. And if something is unbalanced and attacking you, you use counter ballencing tactics.

Planes are OP? Build flak troopers/flak track

Spy's are OP? Build dogs

Armour piercing tanks op? Build base defences.

It's easy :)

Apocalypse costs $ 1750

Kirov costs $ 2000

It is to be expected that they will have stronger armor.

But they are slow as fuck.

Apocalypse gets shredded by Mirage Tanks and badly outranged by Prism Tanks.

How about that?

Completely agree.

I said they were strong and tough. Didn't say they were any good :D

But you did prove my point of using tactics to defeat them ;) apoc vs ifvs would result in an ifv massacre. But prism tanks could potentially result in a 100% survival rate for the prisms.

Back to sov vs yuri, I wish the mod I made still worked, I added the hijacker to the soviets I would send an apoc and hijacker to yuris base, let him mind control the apoc, then hijack it, and then it would be mind control proof because yuri would still be mind controlling it while I have full control of it. Lol.

You have to take into consideration Rhino Tanks have a 1.3 build coefficient while the other 2 factions have a 1.5 build coefficient, therefore in the early game you can build a stronger army with the soviets. (Rhinos build around same speed as grizzly's and lashers)

I'm not that good at YR but people are clueless.

In RA2, Rhino Tanks build slower than Grizzly Tanks (because they cost 200 $ less).

So I guess Westwood realized that sovs were underpowered in RA2 and made them stronger in YR with tanks building at same speed and the Industrial Plant (which makes tanks cost less).

I agree with this.

This is YR and not Ra2.

The build speed for grizzlies are slowed down and you cant do your "sell mcv on one miner" rushes on YR either.

Anyways SvY sovs are underpowered but not as much as you would think !

Here are some Tactics to help you out vs yuri :

1. Use Dogs to eat slave miners

2.Use Desolators on miners

3.Use ic Drones

4.you will need Iron Curtain

5.Use Engineers(everything is fair-play against Yuri 1v1)

• 2 months later...

Sovs are very good against yuri only if you know what you're doing. You get good by playing other good players and gaining experience from playing a lot (believe me you will lose a lot). In theory if yuri plays correctly sovs cant really win but that's only theory. It also depends on the map and spots you get, some maps are easier or can be harder to play on. Open maps like GSF are more difficult when you try to stop sov rushes unless you're sharp and quick with unit and reaction time.

Not many yuri users are real skilled and there's a lot of error unless you play someone similar to me. If you play correctly you can mess up most Yuri players and force them to make a mistake using your iron curtain tanks and drones. You need to mass mostly rhinos and get 3-4 flacks per disk they make. You can mass seige in some games but be careful because disks counter them and you need to micro them so they don't get mowed down.

Make 2 miners from wf on a big map, you can also make 2 miners from wf on a small map but watch out for battle lab and 2 mm attack with mags. Before the game starts you need to decide if you want to rush yuri. A skilled yuri who knows when and where to place bunker will stop ANY rush unless he plays bad that game or makes a mistake. It seems like deso walking and rushing owns yuris on small maps but thats only because most players tend to make mistakes and stretch out the wrong way.

Sov vs yuris  you need mass rhinos mostly. Supers should always be on unless you rush all the time (you need heavy armour to beat yuri) make drones once in awhile to iron them and keep his unit count low. Try to use your nuke and iron at the same time so he has no force shield to protect his mcv. Make sure you use desos and keep deploying them to buy time for your supers to be ready. Keep a flack cannon in your base vs disks. Yuri doesn't fare well vs sentry and pillboxes in general so make sure you have those ready to place. Don't get your units captured by masterminds because they will be grinded for cash.

• 5 years later...
On 12/24/2015 at 7:20 PM, Sharbel said:

Hello everyone!

I decided to play this lovely game again after a very long time. Before I play online I decided to complete the game campaigns of both the RA2 and Yuri's Revenge so I don't perform badly in multiplayer later.

I finished all the campaigns (I've completed them a lot of times before) and I'm kind of stuck this time for some balancing(I think) reasons.

The only way I can beat them is through Attack Dogs and Terror Drones spam (I call them spiders XD) but they suck when Yuri Clones are protected by armored vehicles.

As for Psychic Towers it's near impossible to beat them without them controlling a few of your units. V3 Rocket Launcher seems to be very unless, slow and expensive because its rocket is large, slow and easy to destroy since Yuri's defenses are extremely good (e.g. Gattling Tank and Gattling Cannon). Even spamming 8+ V3 Rocket Launchers wouldn't work.

I had/have absolutely no problem with the Allied forces, the lasers and tree tanks were very good and effective against the Yuri forces. As for the Soviets they seem like they're out of options.

Any idea or advice about the problem? Feel free to discuss. :)

The Soviets are completely useless ❤️ When the supers are OFF. and When the Yuri or Allied Player prepares strong options. to handle the soviet units :P So They are almost completely out of options. Unless one uses Iraq :D cause Cuba Libya and Russia have Obsolete Country units ❤️ 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, XGalaxyZ said:

The Soviets are completely useless ❤️ When the supers are OFF. and When the Yuri or Allied Player prepares strong options. to handle the soviet units :P So They are almost completely out of options. Unless one uses Iraq :D cause Cuba Libya and Russia have Obsolete Country units ❤️ 

This seems true, except I can easily imagine a pro sov player who's good at splitting tanks and harassing with drones and ivan bombs to take the cake. It depends on the map too.

Here's a way a sov can win vs allied when sw is off:

Moving mcv towards opponent and base walking. keep building sentry closer and closer to their base. Bf wont go near sentry or fodder, so you just keep pushing them back until his units are cornered or you're at his base. You'll need very good micromanagement. Especially when he tries to get prism or air to kill your fodder. I would recommend picking off units one by one with rhino tanks, and numbering which tanks have the most kills. This way you can repair them. Focus on those tanks becoming leet. Once you have leets its gg for this weak-ass allied player who expected a free win because sw is off. He will proceed to cry before switching to yuri for the next game. Now YvS with sw off will be the real challenge.

Edited by aWarNoob_sed0na
  • Check 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:56 PM, aWarNoob_sed0na said:

This seems true, except I can easily imagine a pro sov player who's good at splitting tanks and harassing with drones and ivan bombs to take the cake. It depends on the map too.

Here's a way a sov can win vs allied when sw is off:

Moving mcv towards opponent and base walking. keep building sentry closer and closer to their base. Bf wont go near sentry or fodder, so you just keep pushing them back until his units are cornered or you're at his base. You'll need very good micromanagement. Especially when he tries to get prism or air to kill your fodder. I would recommend picking off units one by one with rhino tanks, and numbering which tanks have the most kills. This way you can repair them. Focus on those tanks becoming leet. Once you have leets its gg for this weak-ass allied player who expected a free win because sw is off. He will proceed to cry before switching to yuri for the next game. Now YvS with sw off will be the real challenge.

:D Its the best challenge to ever perform for Soviets. as Iraq is their only good option for Yuri with SWs. Off Because Yuri would have a Big Disadvantage with Supers. Off Since then He wont ever be able to Get Infinite Money from Hungry Yuri Brutes. + The Genetic Mutator :P Because Once. Allies Spams tons of Mirages/Prisms and BFs. The Useless Soviet Faction. Will not be able to win. ❤️ Especially Sniper IFV which counters Deso Men. easily. :D But if tables. turns. And the Useless Soviet Faction. Spams a sheer amount of siege choppers. With a terrain. advantage. Then they might win. ❤️ Either Way. Soviets. will not have it easy. In late game. :P But Industrial Plant is awesome. :D 

• Upvote 1

I'm agree with the guy who said Sovs is the weakest faction, maybe not in terms of armor/strenght of units and firepower but on posibilities. The proof is you need to pick Iraq and use Deso/DesoBombs on certain situations so if you are Sov, if no Deso no party while Allies can take a great profit of their special units on almost every country.

So lucky in YR they still have the siege choppers because otherwise they would be useless (and I'm a Sov player) altough they still lack a Tech counter to BF's and don't tell me the Apocalypse Tanks fucking please ?

Soviet Tech units are usually useless vs a human player because of their speed and if you don't believe me try to beat a good Allied player not spaming rhinos and not using Deso, and see what are the chances that you get.

And I'm not going to talk about naval maps because its just ridiculous... y'all know what I mean.

Yet I read comments from people complaining about players spaming rhinos and doing early preassure and splits, oh man you're a rusher!! Ok dude, next time I'm going to sit there until you have 75 mirages, 17 BF's and 500 Roketeers, and I'ma try to beat you with a combination of Apoc/TeslaTanks/V3 and Drones and if the map is Naval I'ma build a combo of Squids/Typhoons to counter your 700 Dolphins ? 

Excuse me for the laughts please ??

I fucking love this game but on some aspects is clearly unbalanced.

Edited by XMaDTanKX aka T-90
  • Upvote 2
  • Check 1

1 hour ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

I'm agree with the guy who said Sovs is the weakest faction, maybe not in terms of armor/strenght of units and firepower but on posibilities. The proof is you need to pick Iraq and use Deso/DesoBombs on certain situations so if you are Sov, if no Deso no party while Allies can take a great profit of their special units on almost every country.

So lucky in YR they still have the siege choppers because otherwise they would be useless (and I'm a Sov player) altough they still lack a Tech counter to BF's and don't tell me the Apocalypse Tanks fucking please ?

Soviet Tech units are usually useless vs a human player because of their speed and if you don't believe me try to beat a good Allied player not spaming rhinos and not using Deso, and see what are the chances that you get.

And I'm not going to talk about naval maps because its just ridiculous... y'all know what I mean.

Yet I read comments from people complaining about players spaming rhinos and doing early preassure and splits, oh man you're a rusher!! Ok dude, next time I'm going to sit there until you have 75 mirages, 17 BF's and 500 Roketeers, and I'ma try to beat you with a combination of Apoc/TeslaTanks/V3 and Drones and if the map is Naval I'ma build a combo of Squids/Typhoons to counter your 700 Dolphins ? 

Excuse me for the laughts please ??

I fucking love this game but on some aspects is clearly unbalanced.

XD. The Main issues with Soviets. is That Only Iraq. is their most Valueble and Useful Country. And on the vanilla game. If They got no supers/desos. Vs Allies. In late game. They would stand no chance. Off winning at all. With YR They still got. sieges industrial plant. :P Allies. Almost have all Countries. Have a strong unit. While Yuri is just broken. If they mass their death ball Right. and Own Supers. + Micro their things. right :D Its Just that only rhinos desos. flak sieges. dreads. Supers.Industrial Plant Is what soviets got To make em somewhat decent. Its Just. that Tesla Tanks are far too expensive short-ranged. And that demo trucks. and terrorists. Got really no use. At late-game. Apocs are also just a big useless tank That is just far too costly. And easily taken-over By Yuri MMs. Mags. and Kitted by BFs. with GGis. in them :( I Think sovs. can really need some changes adjusted To make em Better. In late game Without Supers. ON and No Iraq They wont get a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

Yuri is another movie, it was a faction intended to give continuity to the Ra2 history and designed to be played exclusively on campaigns, but clearly was NOT developed to be played on skirmish due to it's huge advantage and definitely should be forbidden in tournament games in my honest opinion.

? Yuri. is always broken and OP In the right hands. Imo. Look at Tank Bunkers. They are far too tanky. And setup a good defense with gattling tanks. in them Superweapons. Genetic Mutator. Always. gives Yuri infinite money at some maps. All what he needs. to do is camp Till resources are low Then constantly farm Brutes. and Grind them for cash :) And Bio Reactors. are another big part 10 Iniaties and 2 Bio Reactors give out so much power. For little space. ? Even i banned Yuri From maps. With a Tech Airport/Garrison Buildings. which are plentiful. As its downright impossible to break Initiate garrisons If you dont use artilleries :P :D And Floating Discs and his Boomers are very OP. and Bulky with HP too. :)