Lag in the game during explosions and the like (Yuri Revenge)

Apple Island

Question

This is my second topic about this problem.

I have RA2 and Yuri installed. And patched by CnCGraphicsPatch. And there is no problem in single player mode or throught internet for any resolution.

But, if I play over CNCNet client (skirmish or internet), I always have lags during explosions (as on a Pentium 1 PC), or prism tank/rocketer shoots, or paradrop and the like.

The following points were checked:

[*]Go to Client Options and under Display, and choose a renderer until the game is fast. - (Default, Software, DDWrapper, DxWnd: No effect; TS-DDraw: during startup the game freezes (white screen); IE-DDraw: an error appears during the game start)

[*]Ensure your video drivers are up to date. - (I have updated drivers.)

[*]In the client settings toggle 'videobackbuffer' on and off - (No effect. When I toggle the client setting 'videobackbuffer' on and off, this changes the 'UseGraphicsPatch=' value in the RA2MD.ini file between true and false, but no effect.)

[*]Try toggling 'graphics patch' on and off - (Where? The CnCGraphicsPatch can not be applied to a file Gamemd-spawn.exe)

[*]Try a lower resolution - (The problem is the same for any resolution.)

[*]If lag is in online games and not skirmish, try selecting different tunnelling servers - (Both modes)

Also the RA2MD.ini file contains the following lines:

[Video]

AllowHiResModes=yes
AllowVRAMSidebar=no
VideoBackBuffer=no
StretchMovies=no

e.t.c.

The system that I have:

OS WinXp, video Intel GMA , CNCNet client v3.5.0.5.

How can I fix this problem?

Edited by Apple Island

18 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Apple Island said:

I do not have any compatibility modes.

Single player is ok. I applied the patch because the game is lag (during explosions) via the Internet, like a explosion lag over cncnet. This lag was like a freezing. After apply the patch, I can play online normally (game.exe and gamemd.exe).

I guess the graphics patch is just not working, it's already weird that it's called "Videobackbuffer" in the client since the game actually has a setting with this name, I guess this bug came from porting the client from tiberian sun where the game doesn't have a "Videobackbuffer" option and so they called the graphics patch that way. 

I don't really work on YR, so you'll have to wait for someone to look into it.

I can suggest you to try one thing meanwhile, enable DDwrapper in the client. Now go into your game folder and look for aqrit.cfg, open in notepad and set NoVideoMemory=1, make sure all other settings are set to 0

14 hours ago, Lud0wig said:

Most likely here

Right.

12 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

Ah, well if that is where he got it from, at the bottom of the page is says "2012" (which is pretty old) so it could be conflicting with the CnCNet YR client.

I completely reinstalled the game now. And I didn't applied the graphics patch. But the lag is present as before.

12 minutes ago, fir3w0rx said:

The only other possible cause of your lag that i can think of is Windows XP, which has not been updated in years. But that said, I don't think it's worth changing your OS just for one game.

The game is really old, Windows XP is perfectly ok for RA2/YR

When I was using XP I never had problems with lag and stuff, I'd just add VideoBackBuffer=no under [Video] in RA2/RA2MD.ini and everything would work perfectly fine, no lag

12 minutes ago, Lud0wig said:

The game is really old, Windows XP is perfectly ok for RA2/YR

When I was using XP I never had problems with lag and stuff, I'd just add VideoBackBuffer=no under [Video] in RA2/RA2MD.ini and everything would work perfectly fine, no lag

You're probably right I guess, because Grant often suggests (in the support section) to download .NET Framework 4, which is still available for Win XP, and it's really just the client that gets updated, not the game itself afaik. So yeah, that makes sense.

3 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I just had a look, the game reads the following setting:

[Video]

UseGraphicsPatch=Yes

It's loaded and also used

There is 'UseGraphicsPatch=True' setting in the ra2md.ini file. If I change it to '=Yes', it doesn't change anything.

Are you implying that the problem is something else? For example?

2 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

You're probably right I guess, because Grant often suggests (in the support section) to download .NET Framework 4, which is still available for Win XP, and it's really just the client that gets updated, not the game itself afaik. So yeah, that makes sense.

I have installed .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0.

What CPU? For now, i see the most important characteristic for windows XP is a frequency. If i play on Pentium 4 - 3,6GHz - Win XP(32bit) i have lags on huge survival maps with enormous mass of units. No matter what renderer you use. CnCGraphicsPatch won't help you. You can get same effect increasing speed from TS-DDRAW or DDWrapper (Tested on original .exe).

P.S. I guess in win XP game using only 1 core of the processor, so doesn't matter how many cores you have.

When i play in win 8 (64bit) Intel iCore3 - 1.8 GHz - game faster than i'd play it in P4. I don't know, probably win 8 provides better using of processor cores or/and bit capacity.

Edited by Ezer_2000

On 22.09.2017 at 10:34 PM, Ezer_2000 said:

What CPU? For now, i see the most important characteristic for windows XP is a frequency.

You can get same effect increasing speed from TS-DDRAW or DDWrapper (Tested on original .exe).

P.S. I guess in win XP game using only 1 core of the processor, so doesn't matter how many cores you have.

I have two laptops, the first Pentium P6200 2Ghz and the second Atom N450 1.6Ghz, with Intel HD Graphics (both). And lags are present in both when ONE (or more) unit shoots (skirmish for example). But Pentium is a little faster.

I use WinXP x64 R2 edition (original licensed OS). It supports up to 8 processor cores, and 32Gb (in theory up to 1Tb) of memory.

It works much faster for all applications except 'CNCNet RA2 Yuri' than Win 7 or 10 in my laptop.

In my first message, I wrote:

TS-DDraw: during startup the game freezes (white screen)

Edited by Apple Island