CnCNet Forums

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SinisterStig

Trying to play with 4 friends over multiplayer

Question

So I was playing with a couple other friends on Dune 2000 multiplayer last night with 3 of us total and we were having no lag issues peer-to-peer. Once I tried to have 4 of us total we started to lag bad making it impossible to play. We even tried to have different people host and it still lagged terribly. We all have very fast internet as well. Is there a limit to how many people I can play with on dune 2000 multiplayer before it lags? Or is there a fix so we have 4 or more players in one game without lag? Your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

1 answer to this question

There is no limit, I guess the 4th player probably just had a unstable connection. Did you get a warning prior game start about him having a unstable connection?

Lag can also be caused by bad settings, he could try to enable "GDI Mode" in the config program and see if that helps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By default user
      Hi everyone,
      I know there several posts out there on Virtual Machine LAN networking, but I haven't come across any referencing VMware ESXi.  Was hoping I could start one.
      Here's what I'm trying to do...
      I have a ESXi host running vSphere 6.5.  On it are several VM guests running Windows 10 (build 1903).  All VMs are using VMNET3 virtual NICS, w/8GB RAM, and quad core vprocs.
      I'm having a heckuva time getting LAN networking to run for any CNC game (Dune 2000, TD, TS, RA - doesn't matter, symptoms are the same).
      On the VM, all games install successfully using the latest builds.  All will run without error too.  
      On the example below, I'm running Dune 2000.  As you can see in 'screenshot 1', it does not allow me to join or create a new game.  What's interesting is that the IRC client does not appear to load despite being previously installed.   The Windows firewall is turned off.

Now, by contrast, on a regular laptop - the same game installer will allow me to create a new game or join an existing one.
      I welcome your thoughts.

• By [email protected]
      Hey guys so the issue I am having is my copy of Dune 2000 works fine. I am using the latest gruntmods edition on Win10. 
      Campaign and single player play perfectly but as soon as I install cncnet I can no longer launch my single player. Also when I create a game in the cncnet lobby I can set the game up but clicking launch game simply takes me back to the main chat lobby and doesn't attempt to start the game.
      Is there a step I'm missing when usntwling cncnet?
    • By Sanjay852
      Hey all, hoping you can help me. I downloaded the CnCNet fix for Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge here: https://cncnet.org/red-alert-2
      Installed it onto my origin installation (Windows 10 x64 bit), and it works like a charm. However, roughly once every 10-30 minutes of in game time, at some point, the game freezes. Whatever image is displayed will just be stuck forever. I can still hear sounds, and when I press escape I can hear the menu being opened and I can move the cursor around to hear it touching the different menu options, but the actual image is stuck in time requiring the game to be shut down from the task bar and restarted.
      This makes trying to play the campaign kind of a pain, and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or knows of ways to fix it? I'm not sure what triggers it - it seems mostly random. Only suspicion I have is it seems to happen when I'm panning the camera a lot? So I've started playing trying not to camera pan much, which I think helped, but ultimately didn't stop the freezing.
      jiofi.local.html
      router network
    • By Holland
      Custom map previews are enabled again!
      This gives a great advantage to specialty maps, you can actually make it stand out so players will actually stay and try it out, and also list the required map options in the image

Funky even made a little tool that creates the code, to put in map. A simple drag image on top of the tool and voila,
      Create custom image (256x256 pixels max) Drag image on top of CnCNetPreviewGen.exe Download   copy code of created file into your map save map, restart cncnet, pick map, click on blue WARNING button, give me your checksum+map name   Reply with checksum and map name here, or pm me whatever u want
      Then i'll whitelist it!!
      Give it to me like this example:
      5e5af5ae6491ad645de88ca03e8f636bbf78557b=TowerDefense Rally RACE! Jungle [V2]

@Agrathore @A3H-Hitman @PTapioK @eliteGi @bk57 @Humble  plz let other map makers know too, can't think of them all atm, ty.
    • By FunkyFr3sh
      Running CnCNet server using systemd (Linux x64)

wget downloads.cncnet.org/tunnel.sh sh tunnel.sh 200 "Unnamed Server" If you're unsure what linux distro to choose, just take the latest version of Ubuntu

Using the above method you can run both CnCNet servers as a service and they will continue to run even after the server restarted.

Alternatively you can also run the servers individually (see below):

New Server (All Games)

Linux x64 example:
      wget -c https://downloads.cncnet.org/cncnet-server.tgz -O - | tar -xz nohup ./cncnet-server --name "My cool server" --maxclients 200 --port 50001 --portv2 50000 > cncnet-server.log 2>&1 & Linux ARM

Windows:
      On XP, Vista and 7 make sure .NET 4.0 is installed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=17113
      Download the server and start it: http://downloads.cncnet.org/cncnet-server-gui.exe

Note: Servers are chosen automatically by CnCNet and are only used in case 2 players fail to establish a Peer-To-Peer connection. Yuri's Revenge players can select a specific server via the advanced settings while hosting a game room.

Old Server (Yuris Revenge only)

Linux (Ubuntu) example:
      sudo apt-get install default-jre wget http://downloads.cncnet.org/cncnet-tunnel.exe nohup java -jar cncnet-tunnel.exe -name "My cool server" -maxclients 200 -port 50000 -headless > cncnet-tunnel.log 2>&1 &  

Windows:
      Download the server and start it: http://downloads.cncnet.org/cncnet-tunnel.exe

Note:  To use a specific server you'll have to select it via the advanced settings while hosting a game room.

The servers will not show up instantly on the website, it can take up to 4 hours