Beta RA tesla tank!

Nyerguds

New version: http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/beta_ttnk_v2.zip

See this post for new screenshot.

Because Chad1233 requested it on the IRC channel.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/beta_ttnk.zip

The zip contains two SHP files; ttnk.shp to replace the original Tesla Tank, and mrj.shp to replace the mobile Radar Jammer (can be used in combination with an edit to the Legacy of Tesla mission)

It's based on this screenshot:

image.jpeg.8a69351bfd33f8a9579bac811d2916f4.jpeg

Note that the turret is NOT centered correctly on the unit's back. Just like the MRJ's turret is broken in RA, compared to the C&C MHQ. It's odd how they messed up that one while they did do the same kind of turret centering correctly on the mobile gap generator X_x

It's something that can't really be fixed except by messing with the body position (like they did for the real Tesla Tank, which doesn't rotate around its own center but around its turret's center) or finding out how the turret offset crap works in the exe and hacking it.

Anyway, without further ado: the new version.

in Legacy of Tesla: (replacing the MRJ)

image.png.7e3fe5c29cc5e443a60aa17191707d71.png

Replacing the actual Aftermath Tesla tank: (yes, they're exactly the same :P)

image.png.73557e73a72d6690f80295c6909c0a7f.png

Thank you again for this Nyerguds! If it wasent for you this would of never been done. Thank you!! :)

@Revolutionary Yes i would love to see your recreated beta content as i am a ra1 freak when it comes to beta/unreleased/anything stuff

The "blending" in that original shot is mostly jpeg compression -_-

But I agree, the shadow dots I added on the internal corners of the coil seem to have the opposite effect from what I had expected; I might change that.

The "blending" in that original shot is mostly jpeg compression -_-

JPEG compression aside, there still is a certain difference between a scaled-down pre-rendered model (made by Eric Gooch, no doubt) and its recreation from a slightly altered image. Even with 256 colours, the original sprites generally seem to have some smoothing on the edges, while your version appears to be more contrastive. If you ask my opinion, what really catches my attention are the gaps between the rings of the coil, or, rather, the hull of the tank visible through those gaps. There should be some kind of shadow effect there I suppose. And yeah, the dots on the edges, too, don't make it look smoother.

@ Revolutionary. Where is the beta gems you speak of? I waited over a week and probably a month to see those gems. :P

@Nyerguds. I compared your graphics with the original Beta Tesla Tank and seem pretty accurate as I did look pass the horrible jpeg image and saw very familer looks.

What really bothers me is the corrupted barrel sprite near the Tesla Coil in this pic, and the snow tiles near the cliff just below. This screenshot certainly has been doctored, although I think there's little doubt that initially, this was a real pre-release screenshot of the game. Or did the guys at Westwood just slap an image as such together manually from the game's resources? :huh:

BTW, the rear part of the Ore Truck visible near the sidebar is also truncated at the top, probably by the "snow and gems" tile above. Whoever did that was very sloppy about making their fake screenshot :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

...no. The one at the right side right next to the sidebar.

The one which has its top half cut off because it's pasted over with the beta resources :P

Ah, the corrupted Ore Truck image. Yeah, I noticed that, but as you said Harvester I thought they really slipped in a Harvester from TD too :D They did use the TD Comm. Center in one or two of the pre-release screenshots after all :)

No, beta RA actually had the C&C1 comm center. There's a trailer of RA where you see them place down a radar dome, and, even though the graphics are already the RA dome, you see the placement foundation is still the L-shape of the C&C1 comm center.

• 5 months later...

I finally worked on this again, and removed these shadow pixels on the turret.

After carefully studying the original screenshot some more, I saw it has a kind of support beam thing in the middle that makes it actually stand on the vehicle rather than float above it, so added that, too. It looks a lot better now :)

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/beta_ttnk_v2.zip

image.png.0bad0315b90d78c2bc33ea428bf049c2.png