instalacao

Leandro Van Basten

Question

15 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Lud0wig said:

Can you 2 stop speaking in whatever language is that?

That is Portuguese, spoken by millions of people in Portugal and Brazil. English is not the only language in the world, it is generally considered that knowing more than one language is beneficial for you as a person, since every language is more than just a system of symbols and rules used for communication, it's a point of view through which entire generations of people belonging to a nation or culture have been viewing this world since their inception. Instead of demanding that everyone speak your own language in such a dismissive manner, I'd suggest you be more open to other cultures. Not to mention that this person was asking for help in the best way they knew, and luckily for them, some people here were actually able to assist. 

It's also about community. Does it matter what languages we speak if we're all here to enjoy this thing we clearly all love? Sharing this amazing series is part of why I am here, I want more and more people to experience these games once again, and that's why I'm working on translating these games into those languages that lack translations. The best way to make someone listen is to speak in their native tongue. Please, do not alienate people from other parts of the world simply because they speak a different language. Or, at the very least, if you really want to have a conversation with that person, try asking them to switch languages politely. If they're capable of doing that, they will. However, nobody will do it if you ask in such a disrespectful manner.

26 minutes ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

There's a rule, either written or unwritten, on Internet communities that English is to be used at all times unless it's a nation/language-specific community.

I'm not entirely sure this applies here. I've seen moderators on this board replying to people seeking aid in Spanish in, well, Spanish. Most likely through Google Translate, but still. Even if there is an actual written rule in here somewhere, then, perhaps, the best course of action is to simply inform the person about that rule by providing the link to it, and then to politely ask them to follow that rule and try to use English? I'm all for following rules, but while doing so, being polite is generally a nice thing. His comment just comes across as aggressive and dismissive. 

On the other hand, it's a bit selfish and pretentious to speak in a non-English language in international communities (serve me in my language!!!!11!!). English is the de facto global language, and most people in the world know it in even a basic level. The Internet uses it, again, for things that aren't targeted towards specific nations/languages. How do the few who don't speak it even get past the registration process is beyond me.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

18 minutes ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

On the other hand, it's a bit selfish and pretentious to speak in a non-English language in international communities (serve me in my language!!!!11!!). English is the de facto global language, and most people in the world know it in even a basic level. The Internet uses it, again, for things that aren't targeted towards specific nations/languages. How do the few who don't speak it even get past the registration process is beyond me.

It depends. If someone does it just out of selfishness, then yes, it's wrong. But it could be that this person really doesn't speak English well enough to explain the problem. Getting past the registration process is not that difficult, the words used there are mostly international anyway. As for most people in the world know it - that's not entirely true. Only those who actually learned it intently speak it well enough to explain themselves when it comes to things like techincal difficulties or, well, anything beyond the "the toilet is that way, sir". The majority of other people could speak it well enough to understand what you are trying to say, and, perhaps, even help you by saying something along the lines of "yes, library there, go left, go right, library you see there". But that's not really "speaking English", that's... ehh, "trying to speak English". And then you've got the general populace, most of which isn't even capable of reading English, let alone of speaking it. Of course, this situation varies from country to country, I'm primarily speaking about my own country here. 

This is getting on my nerves. How can you 2 write such a wall of text and be so wrong at the same time... No words can describe this.

I already answered his "problem" in my first post, I'm pretty sure you guys can read. WHY write all this... something here? And all of this just because I asked other 2 guys if they can stop speaking in that language

Edited by Lud0wig

1 hour ago, Lud0wig said:

This is getting on my nerves. How can you 2 write such a wall of text and be so wrong at the same time... No words can describe this.

I already answered his "problem" in my first post, I'm pretty sure you guys can read. WHY write all this... something here? And all of this just because I asked other 2 guys if they can stop speaking in that language

If you don't like this thread, I recommend that you don't participate in it.

3 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

There's a rule, either written or unwritten, on Internet communities that English is to be used at all times unless it's a nation/language-specific community.

You are somewhat, wrong here. That is only the point of view for english communities. There are a lot of these "internet communities" that are in other languages. True that most of dot com is in english. But each "international" community has its own language.

From wiki:

Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) allocate IP addresses:

After English (27%), the most requested languages on the World Wide Web are Chinese (25%), Spanish (8%), Japanese (5%), Portuguese and German (4% each), Arabic, French and Russian (3% each), and Korean (2%).[63] By region, 42% of the world's Internet users are based in Asia, 24% in Europe, 14% in North America, 10% in Latin America and the Caribbean taken together, 6% in Africa, 3% in the Middle East and 1% in Australia/Oceania.[68] The Internet's technologies have developed enough in recent years, especially in the use of Unicode, that good facilities are available for development and communication in the world's widely used languages. However, some glitches such as mojibake (incorrect display of some languages' characters) still remain.

So in my opinion. Let them talk in Portuguese. They aren't hurting any one. And you can google translate their stuff too. Would not be the first time for me to do that either.