The official CnCNet5 client+game package download thread

FunkyFr3sh

Hi,

I am desperate to get CNCnet working on my notebook with Xubuntu (12.04) so I can play Tiberian Dawn online.

I tried everything as pointed out in the different topics (http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1712.msg8491#msg8491) on this forum but so far, unsuccesfull.

Is there someone who can help me to get this working? I have teamviewer installad so if that makes it a lot easier to see what happens during install, please let me know!

I tried:

-installing using playonlinux (and also installing dotnet20, gdiplus but still errors)

-installing directly from wine using terminal (several errors, I have an error report in my dropbox: (will post it when I've found it)

Hope you guys can help me!

or might a Linux version of this game and CNCnet be possible?  :)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the problem I have is that the cncnet installer doesn't have the missions in it, and I cant work out which files have the main campaign within them (I could recognise sc-n64 etc) and when I pasted the 2 folders together it crashed and neither worked...

@DutchArjo: it was running well on my lubuntu, but i cant test the latest version on linux atm :(

i somehow seem to have C&C net working, although, it's terribly slow...

I got bothered with many errors, dotnet20 during install, after that, something about winemenubuilder etc. etc.

Could it be that running cncnet (and c&c) under Wine requires more sources then running it normally in win xp?

im trying to run it on xubuntu 12.4  on my 1,2 ghz pentium 3 with 762 (or something like that)?

video of starting a game in the lobby: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52924699/linux%20errors/VID_20140212_220550.m4v

i had ubuntu on dual boot with win xp, i know it is much much slower than win XP .. if you have such an old pc then its not a good idea to run these new fancy linux distros, you better go for win XP :)

To speed up cncnet try to turn all sounds off, put the transparency slider to the right to turn it off and also disable the background image

the only advantage of linux is the low ram usage, but the performance overall is horrible

I switched on my laptop to xubuntu because of the ending support for XP (no security updates anymore) (I had xp and ran cncnet perfectly after shutting down some processes which required a lot of cpu / memory).

On my desktop pc, I will install a dual boot with Linux for main purpose stuff and xp only for CNCnet and a few other things. I hope I will be able to close every single port except for CNCnet to work so I don't have to be affraid for any fishing / hacking / malicious software etc.

on other thought: Installing a clean XP with .net framework and CNCnet in a virtual box on my Linux machine, would that work?

(not only cncnet runs very slow, the game itself is also terribly slow with maximum game speed)

Sure, installing it in a virtual machine will work. It might even work better than Wine. Wine is a very odd program, runs great for some and runs like crap for others. Though I never like to run games in VM's.

the only advantage of linux is the low ram usage, but the performance overall is horrible

If you're on a PC that for some reason can't handle OpenGL properly you can't run distros like Ubuntu. Xubuntu or Lubuntu might work a lot better, Archlinux even better.

Linux can be faster than any version of Windows, the key here is can.

As I say, TD works nicely on Wine. Just install it, add ddraw.dll into wine configurations, and you will be ok.

As for Xubuntu, XFCE is bloated compared with older versions, and Ubuntu non-LTS editions tends to be buggy. KDE uses a lot of memory, GNOME is... good, LXDE is really lightweigth (but at the time I was using it, arround 2011, it was clearly incomplete and buggy). Mate is a nice fork of Gnome2 that runs great even on the most of old computers (2006).

About the performance on Linux: That's because you are running it with crappy Drivers. Also, Adobe flash is bloated on linux, so I would not recommend using it, since it can even crash X-Windows.

About the End-of-life support: Microsoft would stop supporting it, but most companies will still support it. I guess XP would live more 4, even 6 years.

Ok, so what would you suggest? getting the mate Desktop Environment voor my xubuntu install?

How can I solve the crappy drivers issue then?

this is my note book:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00056671-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=316673&ac.admitted=1392460506474.876444892.199480143

it says I have an ATI mobility Radeon graphics with 16 or 32 mb memory.

I just tried a game using virtual box. It was possibly even slower than when I tried it using Wine.

I hope to find a solution.

About the end of life support: here in Holland, there is new legislation regarding online banking which makes it an obligation for users to have an update and secured system (virus scanner, firewall, security updates) when using online banking services. If not, you might not have a claim in case of fishing. Therefore, XP here is no option anymore.

Woa! That is a really old piece of hardware.

About the VideoCard crappy Drivers: That card isn't supported anymore by AMD. That means that there aren't any official drivers for the current X-Window version. I had a Sony VAIO with a Radeon 9200SE, and the only drivers avaliable are the OpenSource ones, and it got a poor OpenGL and 3D hardware acceleration. Sorry, but if you need some hardware acceleration, get stuck with XP.

The only way of running it in Linux would be setting the rendering mode to GDI, and use an low resolution.

About Xubuntu: Yeah, I won't recommend you running it with that Hardware. Get Lubuntu, or Debian and install it with LXDE

Consider you still running Windows XP in that machine and get Puppy Linux in a pendrive for Internet Banking. That would be an good way trough it.

i decided to follow your advice. After unetbootin is finished, I will put XP back onto this machine, to be able to run CNCNet and play C&C.

And yeah, I know it's old (maybe ancient is a better description of it  :P). But still it did everything I needed it to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I only play RA in the Skirmish mode.  :D (me against 5 teamed allies)

Since the new version installed itself automatically , i can't load my saved games anymore.

see att.

I now reinstalled the old version and blocked all exe files from connection so i do'nt get the patch.

That works for me, but you may want to have a look at it.

Thanks,

eraseme

crashdump.gif.1b98a1c539ba41a2f53a43a4e8cb1d41.gif

• 5 weeks later...