Happily left OpenRA and wish to transfer my work to here

NerevarII

I won't go into detail, but I understand completely why people here don't like OpenRA or the the people who run it. And why people are leaving OpenRA more and more. I've never experienced such displeasure and so many injustices dealing with the heads of OpenRA.

I'm wondering if there is a way to transfer, or convert, my OpenRA maps to something usable here, and, if not, I can post them anyway as "educational material" for those who wish to learn something from what I've created.

Lastly, if anyone is willing to help me bring the OpenRA source code to a usable level here, or create something entirely separate (think, a TRUE modernized Red Alert, which stays true to the original game), since the source code is open-source and free for anyone to use and redistribute.

p.s. I have a lot to offer and talent/experience with creating thing's for the command and conquer series, and I've wasted much of that on the undeserving OpenRA, and wish to bring my contributions here instead, as I should have from the beginning. Let's get modding :)

edit: I wanted to to mention that a lot of my ideas were used, despite my ideas being "trash" as the heads of OpenRA put it, yet the ripoff and/or directly use my ideas. The content that I created and services offered to users by me were valued by the majority of the community, and it's a shame that despite them wanting me back, I simply have to move on because of what was done to me there by a small group of people. My maps and map-mods became popular and demanded, I created a free and open discord, which users enjoyed, because it allowed them a break from the tyranny of those who run things for OpenRA and gained 100 members within days. I since then deleted my discord because I planned on leaving OpenRA for good......but the community wanted me back, so I came back. This time, I hope they understand that it is not an enironment I wish to be a part of, especially with the insane troll infestation there. I treated people with kindness, love, and respect, and taught people how to play as well as making fun content for them to enjoy and showing them a good time, as well as helping mediate disputes and fight back against the malicious people there in hope that they would focus on me instead of the rest of the community.

I also helped discover and patch exploits, contributed to the game on github (tho, that content was removed out of spite, or more accurately, claimed as their own ideas/work), and helped with server testing and game tests.

I guess I'm just trying to show my experience and skill with creating content that people enjoy, and hope I can continue creating such content here for all to enjoy, as well as explain ahead of time why some thing's can't be found, but if proof of my work or claims is needed, I can do my best to meet your demands.

Edited by NerevarII
  • Like 2

Sad to hear your bad experiences with OpenRA, but I've heard similar experiences from people before.

I don't think there is any tools to convert maps from OpenRA back to the classic games as they use incompatible formats. So you'd have to remake the maps on XCC Editor or RA-ED depending on the game.

• Upvote 1

It's okay :) this forum feels like it can be a fresh start, and it seems much more professional and friendly. The attack-move and unit queues kind of spoiled me, and coming back to the micro-heavy classic RA is.......annoying, yet very gratifying. Maybe I'll get back into the groove of playing competitively since classic requires a lot more patience and skill, as there are no "hand-holding" such as a-move or queues :D

As for recreating the content, that should be no problem. Although, instead of listing some under "balance changes" since I think classic is fine the way it is, they will be listed/showcased as something to change thing's up.

But definitely expect some quality default maps from me soon!

• Like 1

I don't think there will be any problem with you sharing your work here, but honestly out of the hundreds of us here, most of us only know how to play RA (as well as the other C&C games) but have no idea about the internal workings of them (myself included). The number of people that actually do know what goes on behind the pixels... you can probably count them on one hand, maybe two at the most! :D

21 hours ago, NerevarII said:

[...] this forum feels like it can be a fresh start, and it seems much more professional and friendly.

Ah... yeah sure, of course... hahahaha. Jokes aside, some of the staff can probably fit that description, and the rest aren't too bad I guess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Always cool to see a new modder/mapper around.
I'd love to see what sort of ideas you bring. I think the best work seems to be made when people put their ideas together fluently.

Much like Tore, I'm sad to hear that you didn't have a good time with the OpenRA community. I will warn that there have been some trouble makers here, but the mods seem to do a pretty good job keeping a lid on them so that we can work on stuff. So if someone is out of line, just slap the "Report Post" and it should be dealt with pretty promptly.

I did write up a very large post on mapping (it was for TD rather than RA, but you might find it interesting and get something out of it).
it can be found here: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8062-understanding-map-design/ 

Welcome to our forum.
-AW

• Like 1

I only play, and map for, and fiddle with the first C&C so this post isn't really in my domain, but I still feel the urge to congratulate you on your decision. OpenRA is a massive undertaking worthy of respect. It is also a massive abomination as far as the C&C name and spirit are concerned. The more people realize this the better.

• Like 1

cn2mc:

you know, OpenRA is the absolute worst community I ever had the displeasure of being in, and it sucks, because most are good/cool people, but the small group of scumbags really ruin the atmosphere.

It seems like people are leaving faster and faster, and I love it. It deserves to die off, or at least be handled by people worthy of life. The current "maintainers" do not deserve to live on this planet. I can't even begin to say all that happened. The greatest drama of all time.

In fact, it's the only gaming community I've ever had problems with, and I've been in many....

AcromaticWhite:

If you're interested I could help you learn. I should make a map pack and upload it here for openRA for people to check out. might do that tomorrow. Thank you :)

fir3worx:

Yes, hopefully I can be a nice addition! And, thank you :)

kilkakan:

thank you!

On 7/12/2018 at 6:35 AM, NerevarII said:

I created a free and open discord, which users enjoyed, because it allowed them a break from the tyranny of those who run things for OpenRA and gained 100 members within days. I since then deleted my discord because I planned on leaving OpenRA for good......but the community wanted me back, so I came back

Wait, what, you delete the Discord server with 100+ members? 

On 7/25/2018 at 3:20 PM, NerevarII said:

cn2mc:

you know, OpenRA is the absolute worst community I ever had the displeasure of being in, and it sucks, because most are good/cool people, but the small group of scumbags really ruin the atmosphere.

It seems like people are leaving faster and faster, and I love it. It deserves to die off, or at least be handled by people worthy of life. The current "maintainers" do not deserve to live on this planet. I can't even begin to say all that happened. The greatest drama of all time.

In fact, it's the only gaming community I've ever had problems with, and I've been in many....

O.O wow, I didn't know anything about that.
Sorry to hear. I think RA1, as an engine, was a pretty cool thing.

I suggest some caution dealing with this person.  He has been permanently banned from OpenRA's services and community discord for ongoing abusive behaviour, and continues to cause trouble by evading bans to post content on our map repository and post drive-by threats to our IRC channel (even as recently as this morning).  We had to escalate matters to the Freenode and Discord staff after he started harrassing people via private message, which I assume is why they shut down his Discord channel.

We're not the first community to have trouble with him; a community member found a similar situation with VRChat via his steam profile, and a suspended reddit account.  I'm not sure whether posting those links is allowed – the forum rules here don't explicitly cover linking to outside accounts that may be considered personal information.  A moderator should remove the links (and clarify the rules) if they are not.