Replicating units

AchromicWhite

Hey guys, long time no talky.

I'm posting to ask about something that was talked about ages ago. Making more units for a mod in RA1.

From memory there was code to allow multiple e1 (rifle), 2tnk (med tank), dd (destoryer) and heli (apache).

Any info on this would be great... but the best info is;

"Yes White, it's totally in the game and here's how to do it"

Cheers.

No luck yet...

Tried this, with the appropriate shps in the mix

redalert.mix ---> hires.mix

e1sn.shp e1snicon.shp

This in rules.ini

[infantryTypes]

0=E1SN

[E1SN]

Name=Sniper

Image=e1sn

Prerequisite=barr

Primary=sniper

Secondary=none

Strength=50

Armor=none

TechLevel=2

Sight=5

Speed=4

Owner=soviet

Cost=150

Points=25

Infiltrate=no

C4=no

IsCanine=no

DoubleOwned=no

Ammo=0

Fraidycat=no

From my point of view the best way to add more units or buildings to RA1 is to just clone everything and add them to the rules.ini

We were trying to create a new unit tag. For example, instead of replacing the already existing tags ([E1], [E2], etc). We were trying to make a new tag [infantryTypes] Iran implemented.

For example:

[infantryTypes]

0=E1SN

[E1SN]

Stuff goes here.

From my point of view the best way to add more units or buildings to RA1 is to just clone everything and add them to the rules.ini

Yeah, it's certainly easier. But if there is a way to replicate a simple turreted vehicle or a rifle inf, that'd be much easier and come with a cleaner result.

We were trying to create a new unit tag. For example, instead of replacing the already existing tags ([E1], [E2], etc). We were trying to make a new tag [infantryTypes] Iran implemented.

For example:

[infantryTypes]

0=E1SN

[E1SN]

Stuff goes here.

Know that but it is bugged in CnCNet and well is still hardcoded to behave like E1. If every thing could be cloned with all of the same logic attached to them I think would be better.

I'd be happy if it was still hard coded to behave like e1. That'd be fine.

But yeah, like you said, it seems to be bugged. Although I never even got the unit to show up int he sidebar let alone anything else.

I think I've more or less given up and am now just trying to put frames over the gnrl and tanya(e7), as I don't plan to use those. Hopefully they don't have anything hard coded that's going to throw anything out.

Just kinda mind numbing work copy and paste a million frames. xD

White, I think you have to keep that template at the beginning of your list:

[infantryTypes]
0=INF1
1=E1SN

[iNF1]
Primary=none
Strength=1
Armor=none
TechLevel=-1
Sight=1
Speed=1
Owner=allies,soviet
Cost=1
Points=1
DoubleOwned=no
Ammo=-1
Cloakable=no
Explodes=no
Invisible=no
Secondary=none
ROT=0
Reload=0
SelfHealing=no
Sensors=no
C4=no
Fraidycat=no
Infiltrate=no
IsCanine=no
GuardRange=1

[E1SN]
Stuff goes here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Last saturday i tested this and get it work. A clone 2tnk was able to build and it rolled out in the depths of War Factory. Everything worked well :cnc3:

However, i was wondering that is it possible to get these clone units visible in RAED? Or making teamtypes where clone units appears? What does happen then? Should i just edit INI files after everything else is complete? Does anyone have any experiences about this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2017 at 4:54 AM, Salvation said:

Last saturday i tested this and get it work. A clone 2tnk was able to build and it rolled out in the depths of War Factory. Everything worked well :cnc3:

However, i was wondering that is it possible to get these clone units visible in RAED? Or making teamtypes where clone units appears? What does happen then? Should i just edit INI files after everything else is complete? Does anyone have any experiences about this?

Really? What did  you write up in the .ini to get that functioning? I never got it working, from memory.

Edited by AchromicWhite

8 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Really? What did  you write up in the .ini to get that functioning? I never got it working, from memory.

I just write up everything in the .ini -file and that functioned well. In this case, when new vehicle was added, i put everything between *** terrestial vehicle types *** and SCUD Launcher lines. If this was too fuzzy, i can write a step-by-step of how i get it working. I was using newest PortableRA version.

Messiah, i also read that. Seems like it does not work very well as i expected... :dry:

Edited by Salvation
EDIT: Added which version im using when inserting new units.