Remaster Update - First Art Preview

Grant

The downside of forum material is that, if/once you disagree with something or someone. The other guy immediately sounds (in your own head) negative.
[If so, don't respond, let it rest for a while]
The fun part about 4k is that details ARE visible in the game. At least for me, since I don't need glasses (for my eye's) yet.
The fact that they start a remaster, IS their chance to make something masterful. Thus also more realistic if they find a way.
I just hope they can take the critics with a grain of salt. Whether it sounds negative/sarcastic or constructive. And english not being in my nature, adds towards negativity.
If I had a chance to talk to them directly. It would have sounded completely different. "Take a look at a construction site if you have the chance", would be one of my advices.
They have to find a way in between to keep all sides a bit happy. That is one of the hardest jobs on this planet. You can't really win it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, Nyerguds said:

I told them several times, but the simple fact is, the game engine's cells are square...the actual cells would have to be 5x6 to really get around this issue ?

As for the art, honestly, I think it looks great, though there have already been further internal comments on the design.

What the heck are you talking about? "subtly implies that this will be a different game engine-wise"? wtf. No. It's the C&C1 engine. How would art even imply this.

Since it's on original engine and the viewport resolution would be much higher could you propose to them to add a feature to stretch a viewport image to original aspect ratio? This won't affect performance or game play in any way. BTW, I hope they at least redo cameos, menus etc at proper ar

• Upvote 1

Yes, the shape of the outer walls is different as I pointed out in my previous post.

Ezer_2000, good catch on the screws and rivets, I didn't notice that myself. Indeed that design becomes outright ridiculous when you realise that these shapes are something improbable for a building of that scale.

• Upvote 1

It flat out looks like a shiny toy for ages 4-7. Not only does it unnecessarily deviate from the original in shape, it has none of the seriousness of C&C's art, which managed to capture the dread of war in just a few tiny pixels. It's obviously a half-assed effort (QED by Ezer). The people praising it are under EA's thumb, I know, but they should know that promoting this artistic misstep as something of value makes them look... maybe not silly, but unreliable. Saying this is somehow good art for the remaster is a disservice to the community, IMO.

For me, C&C either ties with or is a very close second to Civilization I in my Best Games Ever list. EA have their hands on one of the best games in the world, period. I don't want a half-assed remaster with gummy bear graphics. 

• Upvote 1

Considering this is the first visual we've seen I think they've done a good job. There's a few points that some have highlighted are fair, but can be easily tweaked.
On that note, we don't always have to throw our toys out of the pram and launch a full blown attack when somethings not quite right or how you imagine it to be. I thought we were all adults around here. ? 

1 hour ago, ore_truck said:

I hope they keep the engine. I don't want it to be like a RA3 or C&C3 mod because the building look like one. Preserve the legacy!

They do have the source code so that should help!

• Upvote 3

On 4/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, Grant said:

On that note, we don't always have to throw our toys out of the pram and launch a full blown attack when somethings not quite right or how you imagine it to be. I thought we were all adults around here. ? 

Quite ironic how this comment brings no maturity to this discussion whatsoever, nor does it address any of the many valid points people made. Coming from a position of authority, no less.

RaVaGe, I know. Hence my own irony.

Back on topic: the art is bad, it deviates too much from the original, it's too shiny, and if this is the general visual style EA is envisioning for the remaster... shit.

21 hours ago, cn2mc said:

Quite ironic how this comment brings no maturity to this discussion whatsoever, nor does it address any of the many valid points people made. Coming from a position of authority, no less.

What am I supposed to be addressing by the way and why?

We have a remaster on the cards and already a small minority are treating the first visual like the worst thing they've ever seen in C&C. It's the FIRST visual released to us, there's always going to be ongoing work and tweaks on the overall look & feel. 

Give it a chance, that's all. :)

14 minutes ago, Grant said:

We have a remaster on the cards and people are treating it as if it's the worst thing ever released. It's the FIRST visual released to us, there's going to be tweaks. 

Haters gone a hate, when you are in love you have a blindness where not matter what the object of love really are they gone a love it and hate the rest, specially when is better, that is what happen to RA3 and they gone a hate it more when the office computers that they use for C&C or RA2 can't run that graphics. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cn2mc said:

RaVaGe, I know. Hence my own irony.

Back on topic: the art is bad, it deviates too much from the original, it's too shiny, and if this is the general visual style EA is envisioning for the remaster... shit.

I think what Grant is getting at, is that a comment just like this is better than the break down that people had earlier in this thread. As this at least outlines a specific issue you have with it, rather than earlier where you basically say that looking at it makes you nauseous... which shows you disagree with it, but is helpful to no one.

It also makes those who come and look at the feedback more inclined to actually listen to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grant said:

We have a remaster on the cards and already a small minority are treating the first visual like the worst thing they've ever seen in C&C. It's the FIRST visual released to us, there's always going to be ongoing work and tweaks on the overall look & feel. 

Give it a chance, that's all. :)

I'm giving it a chance, I'm also giving it my fair criticism. These visuals ARE the worst thing I've seen in C&C. If you're not addressing anyone or anything, better not make snide comments. If the general line is that we are all blessed that there will be a remaster and we should not question any of EA's decisions just because there will be a remaster... I'm not buying it. 

42 minutes ago, AchromicWhite said:

I think what Grant is getting at, is that a comment just like this is better than the break down that people had earlier in this thread. As this at least outlines a specific issue you have with it, rather than earlier where you basically say that looking at it makes you nauseous... which shows you disagree with it, but is helpful to no one.

It also makes those who come and look at the feedback more inclined to actually listen to it.

The thing is that those who don't think it's good will not be swayed by posts saying it's good. And posts saying it's good when it obviously isn't make their authors look either silly or under EA's thumb. And then efforts to quell the dissent make it look even sillier. 

Kikematamitos make 1 very good point "Haters gone a hate, when you are in love you have a blindness where not matter what the object of love really are they gone a love it and hate the rest, specially when is better, that is what happen to RA3 and they gone a hate it more when the office computers that they use for C&C or RA2 can't run that graphics. " if you take away the ability to play the game without very high end comps or graphics cards the entire idea is a waste because to reach a clientele to purchase something like a game for 50.00 they need 2000.00 worth of pc you are not selling your product to millions of possible players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think what TD players want for a remaster is a proper working game (unlike Tiberian Twilight on Steam) and still have the fun of what the original had. Changing it too much might make it play differently to the point it's not the TD we know. Even the balance mod isn't played much because it plays differently and just throws the original gameplay and strategies that people are used to out the window. Off course, it can be good that it provided a new style of game, but not everybody likes changes - they only see it as splitting the community.

I'm not saying the remaster is going to be a different game just by judging one art preview. But it shows that not everyone who played TD is too happy with the construction yard change. Visual changes like giving Nod the logo they used in TW3 instead of the original one or giving Kane hair would only make this remaster game not "canon".

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, cn2mc said:

It flat out looks like a shiny toy for ages 4-7. Not only does it unnecessarily deviate from the original in shape, it has none of the seriousness of C&C's art, which managed to capture the dread of war in just a few tiny pixels. It's obviously a half-assed effort (QED by Ezer). The people praising it are under EA's thumb, I know, but they should know that promoting this artistic misstep as something of value makes them look... maybe not silly, but unreliable. Saying this is somehow good art for the remaster is a disservice to the community, IMO.

For me, C&C either ties with or is a very close second to Civilization I in my Best Games Ever list. EA have their hands on one of the best games in the world, period. I don't want a half-assed remaster with gummy bear graphics. 

posted image

It is extremely gritty compared to the direction other games took, on a scale of 1-10 , 1 being most gritty and 10 being the above cartoon influenced structure its on about a 2/3. Maybe you could use a perspective change cognition wise?  ;)

Also while it would look more gritty and feel more war themed, its a lot more aesthetic and pleasurable to look at this way, which is part of the pleasure of a game, a game is heavily about looks and graphics like it or not, I think they got the balance just right its nice to look at but still gritty enough to make it feel  like a serious war game. They went a long way towards gritty, I think this is the perfect balance , but that's just my opinion.

Edited by chem
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, ore_truck said:

I think what TD players want for a remaster is a proper working game (unlike Tiberian Twilight on Steam) and still have the fun of what the original had. Changing it too much might make it play differently to the point it's not the TD we know. Even the balance mod isn't played much because it plays differently and just throws the original gameplay and strategies that people are used to out the window. Off course, it can be good that it provided a new style of game, but not everybody likes changes - they only see it as splitting the community.

I'm not saying the remaster is going to be a different game just by judging one art preview. But it shows that not everyone who played TD is too happy with the construction yard change. Visual changes like giving Nod the logo they used in TW3 instead of the original one or giving Kane hair would only make this remaster game not "canon".

I agree,  and I would also take this statement a step further.  I personally never pay any attention to remastered/reworked versions of C&C, because it is almost a given that none of the original scenarios or maps will work with them.  Even if the gameplay of the remaster is identical,  there is no content to play.  The average player might launch the game for 5 hours and say "wow, this engine looks fantastic!" before closing it down to never play it again - because there is nothing to do.

I mean, C&C has the "Huge Collection" on top of hundreds of mods to play. This is the reason I keep coming back to it.

Edited by Lightning Hunter
  • Upvote 1

If its too gritty its a chore to have to look at the thing its like looking at a slab of concrete it releases no dopamine in your brain and you don't want to do it, its nice for it to have some aesthetics !

Edited by chem